Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Nitsud Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 06:04 PM
Im new to home theatre and have boiled down to axiom being my choice of setup. Either going m60s with vp150 and qs8 or m80s with vp180 and qs8. Help in deciding.

Further help is I was going to buy an integra dtr 20.3 receiver any information if this will run either system?

I will not be getting a sub right now but when i do it will be either svs or a hsu (not sure of size yet)

Setup will be in a four level split on the main floor 26'Lx16'Wx9'H

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 06:10 PM
If you've got the coin, why not go all out? The owners of the VP180 who upgraded from the 150 all seem to agree that it's well worth it. The M80s over M60s also seem to be an improvement, but not quite as large. So at least consider the VP180 no matter what mains you go with.

That Integra should be fine.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 06:33 PM
The m80s state they are 4ohm while most receivers run 6-8ohm is that a problem? This integra dtr-20.3 is 8ohm?

I am buying this in pieces right now the receiver and towers then the center and surrounds later.

I certainly want the m80s aslong as that integra receiver will handle them and not cause any problems. Can get the receiver at a disount price of $650 brand new in the box.
Posted By: Wid Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 07:06 PM

Seems it's rated for 4 ohm.

AMPLIFIER SECTION
Power Output
All Channels: 90 W/Ch at 8 Ohms,
20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08%,
2 Channels Driven, FTC;
110 W/Ch at 6 Ohms,
1 kHz, 0.1%, 2 Channels Driven, FTC
Dynamic Power 210 W (3 Ohms, 1 ch)
180 W (4 Ohms, 1 ch)
110 W (8 Ohms, 1 ch)
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 07:15 PM
Thank you. It states also that the m80s max is 400w with the information given of 180w on 4ohm then is this going to be alright? And also with adding the rest of the system down the road all should be well? Sorry but am new and really trying to make all the right choices and learn in the midst.
Posted By: bdpf Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 08:07 PM
I wouldn't sweat the 8 ohms vs 4 ohms. This is more of a regulatory issue. I drive my M80s and VP180 to loud volume without any issues with my denon 890 (given my room is smaller 20x11x9).
As Chris suggested, if you have the $$$ and the space for it, I would strongly recommend to upgrade to the VP180, that will give you a bigger improvement than M60s to M80, of course, if money is not an issue, go with the M80s as well (sorry, I had to say it smile ). As you probably read it many times if you did some research, the M80s are slightly more detailed and forward sounding in the midrange and as a better bass overall. This is what I noticed as well when I compared both at the Axiom factory.
Another suggestion for the center is that if you'll have often people sitting off-axis from the main listening position, you might consider a smaller vertical speaker (M2 or M22) as a center. If it's not the case, the VP180 is really good.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 08:14 PM
the 400 Watts is a rating; you can use more powerful amps if you want; just be sure you don't clip your amplifiers.

180 Watts would give you a max SPL of about 115-117 dB.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 09:27 PM
So would a suggestion be to go with two m22 for centers? Or just need the one as my living room setup is scattered. Also will I lose anything from vp180 to m22s? In the end im more concerned about me having a better experience not everyone else smile
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 09:59 PM
The ideal scenario is to have 3 identical speakers across the front, so M60 or M80 for mains and then another M60 or M80 as a center is best. The VP180 was designed to be a match for the M80 for those with out the vertical clearance to run another M80/M60 as a center, so the VP180 is second best. With the 180 you loose some horizontal dispersion to off axis listening, if this isn't a problem and you don't have the room for 3 vertical speakers across the front then the 180 is the way to go.

To run dual M22's or M2's as a center I would recommend one over and one under the screen to keep the sound anchored to the middle, with a side split center, the dialog will appear to come from the closest side speaker for those not directly in front which is kind of annoying, IMO. Also when running an M22 center you loose some impact the larger speakers tend to offer in the upper bass range. I found gunshots etc. had very good impact with the VP180 vs just the sound of gunfire I get when I run either of my M22's/VP150/VP100 or an M2 I have tried as a center. Running the smaller speakers is still a great way to go and they all work very, very well but I have found the center stage looses that impact when running beside floorstanders, YMMV.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/08/11 11:15 PM
Ok well thank you all for all the information and help. Guess it looks like a straight shot... M80s vp180 and qs8s thanks again everyone.

One more thing these speakers that get discounted because of minor blemishes. Any opinions?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/09/11 12:57 AM
They used to be flawless more often than not, but that was when the Factory Outlet was around. The more recent accounts have varied from items I wouldn't want to buy regardless of discount, to minor scratches that are worth the discount; it seems to be a crap shoot lately.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/09/11 02:07 AM
Dustin, welcome. The speakers have been discussed at enough length already that I'll only comment that, as has been said, it'd be even a bit better if you had the room to use an identical vertical M80 as the center.

As to the amplification, you should understand that the 400 watt maximum stated for the M80 has nothing to do with the power actually required for home listening. The max figure relates to the amount which it theoretically could use(it's actually been tested by Axiom with over 1000 watts)without suffering permanent damage(although the same couldn't be said for your hearing at that sound level). The power actually required would be about 1 watt at a comfortably loud average level of about 85dB at a typical listening distance of about 10 feet. Brief split-second peaks on source material that had a very wide dynamic range(softest to loudest)would use much more, of course, but for safe levels the typical receivers rated anywhere around 100 watts are sufficient to do the job.

You appear to be overly concerned about the impedance rating on a speaker. In order for an amplifier to have an "official" 4ohm continuous power rating(for at least 5 continuous minutes at full power under the FTC regulations)it would have to pass that severe test without overheating and shutting down. Relatively few are designed to do so, but they can nevertheless handle the less severe home listening scenarios without a problem. The fact that an amplifier has a continuous power rating at 8 ohms and possibly also at 6 ohms, but not at 4 ohms, is therefore rarely of any practical significance.

At this point you're considering an Integra model which would do the job as described above, but unless you're able to get an unusual deal on it, an essentially identical Onkyo would be available for less. Rather than the DTR-20.3, a model such as the DTR-40.2 with more advanced features, especially the superior Audyssey MultEQ(rather than 2EQ)should be considered. In most cases an Onkyo 708 or 709 which would meet this requirement would be available at a lower price(than the 40.2).
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/09/11 06:38 AM
Thanks JohnK The dtr-20.3 was a price of $650 canadian...
that price is the sweat spot right now for me. The onkyo 709 which is comparable is $750 ball park. Is multieq rather then 2eq worth the switch from a better product in integra to onkyo. (as far as craftsmenship is concerned)
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/09/11 07:10 AM
The 20.3 is more nearly comparable to the 608/609, while the 708/709 would be comparable to the 40.2. There's no good reason to believe that Integra models are in reality better in craftmanship than the corresponding Onkyos; they're designed and manufactured by the same people.

Yes, MultEQ is a significant step-up in the accuracy of equalization, especially in the low bass frequencies,so in my view going up to the 700 series in Onkyo(or 40 series in Integra)is very worthwhile.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/09/11 07:39 AM
Thanks JohnK I ment that onkyo are mass produced assembly line while integras are more hand picked parts.. Atleast thats what ive been told. I think i will be going with the 709 anyways. Seeming that the multieq will help out. Thanks again. Cant wait for all my equipment.
Posted By: CV Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/09/11 07:45 AM
I'd want to see a breakdown of what parts are supposedly superior in the Integra line. Having gone from an Integra pre-pro to an Onkyo receiver, it's hard to see what's inferior about the Onkyo. The things I do notice are the more recent features on the Onkyo. Maybe Integras do integrate better for custom installers, but since I don't utilize any of that, it's lost on me.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/09/11 01:21 PM
Right on thats good to know. Must of been maybe the salesmen trying to make a sale. Thanks for the information. I wouldnt want to spend the extra cash on bs.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 06:03 PM
Just an update to everyone ordered my m80s today and cant wait for them to arrive. I also decided to go with the integra dtr-20.3 even though it doesnt have the multieq just the 2eq. I figure I can run the 2eq as a base then tweak the setting to my ear from there. I forgot wires does a guy need oxygen free or silver wires or can i just get some bulk 12g copper with whatever connections I need and go from there?
Bulk 12g is good; check out Monoprice for inexpensive cable or Axiom for wire that's a little more, but evidently very nice quality and not stiff.

Congrats on the M80s!
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 06:53 PM
Thank you can I use banana plugs to connect into the m80s? Or do they require a different connect like axiom wire product page shows?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:01 PM
You can absolutely use banana plugs. Or spades. Or bare wire.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:04 PM
Banana plugs are fine, the ones on the wire page are just hooked together by a piece of plastic, but are still regular bananas.

On the other hand, there's no reason to use plugs, bare wire into the binding posts works perfectly well, and eliminates one connection (wire to posts, instead of wire to plugs to posts).
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:07 PM
On the other hand, I'm a banana plugaholic. It sure is a lot easier to plug/unplug when moving around, cleaning, testing, etc.

I use either the Axiom ones, with 2 tied together, for back of speakers, or individuals where you can plug another into them, for back of receiver, or the little monster ones.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:13 PM
Lady Gaga's fans have their own banana plugs?
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:14 PM
Thank you. For connection to a receiver do i use the same banana plugs for easy removal?

Oh lady gaga
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:18 PM
The little monsters...
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:20 PM
Sorry im lost on the little monsters????
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:22 PM
That's what Lady Gaga calls her fans.
Also, a bit off topic, but, I also use Monster banana plugs.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:23 PM
lol gotcha
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:46 PM
That receiver can use banana plugs for all 5 channels. Do be aware that bananas do increase the overall install depth of the receiver. So if you're using a closed-back stand of any sort, take that into account.

Also the spacing between posts is not standard. So while Axiom's clipped bananas may work nice with their speakers there's no reason to assume the same will fit the receiver (but you could get lucky).
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:48 PM
Indeed so in your opinion clubneon should i not even worry about any banana plug for speakers or receiver and just connect to each unit done?
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:52 PM
Indeed so in your opinion clubneon should i not even worry about any banana plug for speakers or receiver and just connect to each unit done?
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 07:58 PM
They are nice if you're going to be unhooking things often. But if you're just going to set everything up once, there's no need.

Just be careful that there are no stray wires shorting across the posts (I've seen it happen with poorly installed bananas too).

In the end it's up to you. I like just sticking the wire behind the lug (Axiom's posts are drilled so it's even easier) and tightening it down. With the little wrench that Axiom includes for tightening the lug you can really cinch thing down (small children might be able to swing from the wire).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 08:03 PM
If the wrench breaks, you've tightened it a tad too much.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 08:15 PM
gotcha just like mechanics 1/4 turn before breakage.. Thanks again guys
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 08:50 PM
Being cheap and not seeing any sonic benefit, I previously used bare wire on both ends.

What a colossal pain the the a$$ on the receiver side. It was REALLY difficult to thread bare wire into all those narrowly-spaced connectors on the back of the receiver.

I use the nice, cheap banana plugs from Monoprice now.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/10/11 08:56 PM
I'm where Tom used to be. I'm still cheap and use bare wire. I've realized that 10 gauge is the largest wire that I can fit into my M80s. Barely squeezes in there. I think I got it from Blue Jeans Cable, though would have been happy with Monoprice also, from what I hear.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 01:40 AM
Dustin, the room EQ technology is too complicated to be able to just "figure" what you can do. There's no provision to "tweak" the Audyssey EQ settings(although the crossover points can be raised manually); it's either on or off.

Regular electrical wire works fine for carrying electricity to a speaker too. Nothing special can do this any better. Get it in 16ga or heavier, depending on the distance of the run. For more details study this excellent explanation of the facts about speaker wire by a veteran audio professional.

JP(or anybody), if there's difficulty in inserting thick bare wire into a receiver or speaker terminal, there's no reason that the end has to be that same thickness. The resistance of the wire depends on its overall thickness taking the entire length into account, not just the thickness at the connecting end. Strands can be trimmed off the end to, for example, make it 16ga instead of 10ga without appreciably changing the resistance. It might be the equivalent of 10.01ga.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 03:37 AM
Well hopefully my decision doesnt fail me with getting the dtr-20.3 rather then anything else.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 09:45 PM
If I buy a seperate amp to run my m80s am I able to use my integra dtr-20.3 5.1 receiver to run the center and four surrounds to make a 7.1 setup, also running a sub off either or?
Posted By: Wid Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 10:14 PM

Yes.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 10:15 PM
No. The only thing that the 20.3 lets you do is use a small amp for the surround backs.

You have to upgrade to the 40.3 if you want to use an amp for any of the other channels.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 10:16 PM
Wait, Rick says yes? Let me scan a little deeper into the manual.
Posted By: Wid Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 10:18 PM

I figured the OP knew there were preouts or not.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 10:20 PM
Yeah, the only pre outs are for the surround back (allowing for 7.1), and they don't seem to be able to be reassigned for the main channels. So, no, the external amp can't run the M80s.
Posted By: Wid Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Yeah, the only pre outs are for the surround back (allowing for 7.1), and they don't seem to be able to be reassigned for the main channels. So, no, the external amp can't run the M80s.

I was wrong, sorry. Chris got it right.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/11/11 10:27 PM
Ok so in short ill be stuck with the 5.1 dtr-20.3 running everything n not getting 7.1 unless I swtich receivers.

Ohwell Im sure this will do the trick for now as I was only thinking down the road.

Now that the m80s are ordered trying to get the wife on board for the vp180 and qs8s for a sooner rather then latter purchase. I wont even talk about the work Ill have cut out for me to get the sub in the conversation. lol.

As far as the receiver I havent even cracked the box on it. Should I maybe think about the upgrade to the 40(would depend on cost)
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 12:35 AM
Just found out the 40.3 is rouhly and addiontal $600. Is it worth spending that?
Posted By: Wid Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 12:49 AM

The 20.3 is capable of 7.1 with having preouts for rear surrounds.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 01:51 AM
Dustin, my general tendency is to suggest spending less, not more than was proposed, but as I said previously, in your case moving up one step is strongly encouraged. As has been pointed out now, another advantage is 7 amplifier channels rather than 5, and full pre-outs. Both now and in the future you'd be better equipped to fully enjoy your Axioms.

Again, my suggestion is to go with the more cost-effective Onkyo 708 or 709 rather than the in my view needlessly costly Integra model with similar capabilities.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 01:54 AM
Im wondering though will I be better off with the 40.3 having the multieq little more power and the option to hookup an amp. I mean spend the more now and have a receiver that I wont have to change for years to come while growing my system?

I see John. Even with a difference of the extra year warrenty? Ill check into the 709 compared to the 40.3 I would like the best bang for the buck thats for sure.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 02:02 AM
Im gonna check tomrrow on the price difference between both from my local home/audio.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 02:02 AM
If trouble develops, it's more likely to develop early. The extra year warranty is unlikely to be called into effect.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 02:04 AM
Fair enough. John thank you and everyone else. I was looking tunnel vision before getting something for now. Not thinking of the long run.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 02:41 AM
Looks like over the net the 709 is between 800-1000 canadian. Would be a difference of 200-400 dollars between the 709 and the 40.3

I would assume my local dealer will be around the same price so thats a saving im willing to take. Features are close to indentical.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 07:15 PM
OKay okay now what do we think.Ive got a price for a denon avr3311 amd I think it seems to be a really great receiver. $1000 for the receiver what do you guys think. Has all the options on the 40.3 and is cheaper. Let me know.

Also what do u guys think about a $55 charge to have warrenty changed from 3 years to 5 years?
Posted By: Murph Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 07:38 PM
Denon's seem to be pretty reliable units. The only complaint I ever hear about them is that their manuals are horribly written. I concur.

My personal thought on extended warranties is that if I had taken the ext. warranty every time it was offered to me on something, I would likely be able to have replaced any single item a couple times over with all that cash. I'd prefer to keep all that money in my pocket for my own uses until the day comes I need it.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/12/11 08:41 PM
Yah, if it were me I'd stick with the 3 yr warranty and leave it at that, I'd expect if anything goes wrong it would happen within 3 yrs. I agree with Andrew about the Denon Manuals...they need a manual to understand the manual.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/13/11 01:47 AM
Dustin, the 3311 certainly is an excellent receiver and is quite comparable overall to the 709. Either would appear to be a better buy than the Integra and your decision could well be based on which one was available to you at the lower price. As indicated previously, forget an extended warranty.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/13/11 01:57 AM
Price didn't come into play both stayed in the revised budget that i informded my better half of.

Checking things out I felt that comparing the two the denon was a better receiver (atleast from paper and forums) then the 709.

I could get both local for the same price or the 709 off the net for $100 cheaper.
LOL here in Japan we get only 1 year. Well maybe that was the reason someone told me that extended warranty was no needed.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 01:07 AM
So im into spending a little more money very soon. Need to know center channel with sub or two subs. The total hopefully under $1300. But again with a 50/50 mix of music and movies sub or center?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 03:21 AM
Sub, $1300 all on the sub.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 03:39 AM
Really serious... If so what brand do you suggest. Running the m80s
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 02:45 PM
Hey jake just checked my m80s are sitting in calgary wanna bring them to me. Purolator said they wont bring them to red deer till late today or early tomorrow.

Looking at subs it seems that Im in the $1500 ball park all said and done for 2 subs. Weather it be hsu, epik, svs, funkywaves, rythmik.

How are axiom subs? Something like the 400 that I could buy now and get another down the road?
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 02:53 PM
like the movie "Fiddler on the Roof", choosing a sub is a delicate balancing act, weighing such factors as weight, size, footprint, f3, distortion, max SPL, etc...

if you listen to movies, with a room like yours, i would get the SVS (PC or PB) 13 Ultra.
for music only the SVS (PC or PB) 12+ would be an excellent choice; it might also be good for movies in your room.
Everyone says that SVS gives honest recommendations on the phone, according to your situation.

Posted By: bdpf Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 03:11 PM
I agree with the comments above, you're room is pretty big. Keep in mind that the M80s have enough bass for most musical types. Since you're doing 50% HT, I would focus on getting a sub that can deliver significant output down at least to 20Hz which usually means bigger enclosure and higher price.
If I wanted to go dual subs in this price range, I would consider the new HSU VTF-15H. People that own them are extremely happy with them.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 03:14 PM
for music use, only organs go lower than 20 Hz.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 03:39 PM
Out of those choices my vote is for a funky waves build. Best build quality by far (construction, cabinet, drivers) and you would even have the option to get true 20hz performance (not including room gain/in room) in a small footprint if you like. More custom options as well.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 05:21 PM
Oh my what to do what to do.

I should also state that for my $1500 budget I would need that to be the end price after shipping. That takes me to more lower end of each brand.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 05:37 PM
Whats your room size?
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 05:39 PM
26'Lx16'Wx9'H
Posted By: bdpf Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 06:24 PM
That's a lot of air to move. If $1500 is your budget including shipping, taxes, ... then I would follow Jason's advice and put all of it towards 1 better sub, you can always get a 2nd one at a later time if you feel you're missing something.
Also I just noticed that you're in Canada, so I would just rule out pretty much all US manufacturers unless you can get it shipped to a US address and then pick it up. Epik doesn't ship to Canada and even if you pick one up they will not honor the warranty once it leaves the US, when I was looking at the VTF15, the shipping + duties + Fedex charges + whatever was an extra $300/$400 so this makes it less attractive for us Canadians. If you're in the GTA, www.sonicboomaudio.com is a SVS dealer so you could pick it up locally. If not Axiom and FunkyWaves are your best bet.

Edit: Axiom has the EP350 starting at $656 US on their auction site. I don't know how 2 of them will perform in your room as I've only heard the EP500 and EP600 but even with taxes it will fit your budget.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 06:58 PM
If I may throw something else into the realm of possibilities, I would consider finding a Paradigm dealer and offering him $1500(or less) for a pair of DSP3400's.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 07:01 PM
Ty. When it comes to axiom subs. i think i would b looking at the somewhere 400/500/600 all would be out of reach for a pair but atleast there is lay away for the second..

Or could go the Funky wave way with the 15.3 and save for the second one if needed.

The sonicboomaudio website i m having problems veiwing im sure there is a dealer close by though.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 07:06 PM
Sonic Boom is it's own dealer, they are located in Richmond Hill, actually Buttonville area I believe.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 07:06 PM
There is also a 15.3 listed as a demo unit under specials that is priced at $1000.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/16/11 08:44 PM
I think that that 15.3 would be great. FYI guys I just received my m80s and i couldnt be happier.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 05:32 AM
So boiled down to funky waves 15.3 with 1000w amp vs svs pc-ultra cylinder
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 12:27 PM
Wouldn't the pc-ultra be close to $2000 once you add HST and shipping? In that price range the FW 12.x would be the way to go IMO.
Posted By: 1sweetspot Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 12:57 PM
I'd unhesitatingly recommend the SVS. If you are anywhere near Edmonton I could show you what a previous generation PC-12+ can do. My room is similar dimensions to yours and it is more sub than I use. The new generation Ultra would be that much better. I doubt you would need a second unless to smooth out the frequency response.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 02:45 PM
Be in edmonton this weekend. Will see what happens

So in talking with the wifey shes states and I quote if you place the svs in my living room im gonna use it as a kicking post. So the powers that be have spoken. She likes the look of the funky waves. Just messaged them to see what they can do for the sub in my room.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 02:50 PM
do you know about the HAF?

(Husband Approval Factor)
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 03:00 PM
all i know is that is she doesn't like the look I dont get the sub.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 03:20 PM
Paint it pink.
Posted By: Murph Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 03:33 PM
Honestly, I don't like the look of cylindrical subs either. I'd certainly use one if it was given to me but I'd probably never order one. They just keep reminding me of those old cigarette smoke, filter gadgets that they used to sell. No offense to those who own them, but the correlation is stuck in my head and it's not likely to go away.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 05:12 PM
honestly pink... i'd rather shoot myself in the foot. no offense to ppl with pink equipment.
My equipment is pink.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Nitsud
i'd rather shoot myself in the foot.

I'll lend ya my manual wheel chair smile.

Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
My equipment is pink.

laugh laugh
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/17/11 11:35 PM
What veneer does the wife want?
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 02:35 AM
Like i said no offense to the pink equipment. just not me nor the wifes thing. All she wants is to match the m80s. So really simple. Everything goes with black and our entire decor is darker.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 03:19 AM
I hear that black equipment is

No, I can't.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 03:50 AM
Give in, Chris.

The dark side is calling.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 03:50 AM
Well, my living room is full of black equipment.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 03:53 AM
See? You don't even have to leave the house.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 12:01 PM
I've got some black equipment too, but it's a little smaller than the others.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 09:30 PM
I recently switched to only black equipment around my house, and as a result, I've gained an inferiority complex. I've thought long and hard about getting rid of it, but it's solid equipment and they're good performers, so it's difficult to go back.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 09:36 PM
Cam: Do you know that you just said, indirectly, that once you go black you can never go back.

And you were talking about your equipment, too.

Tsk, tsk.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 10:14 PM
I said nothing of the sort!
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 10:29 PM
you want to get rid of the equipment or the inferiority complex? ;-)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/18/11 11:45 PM
The equipment, I think. I'd have to replace it with stuff from Southeast Asia because they're more compact, but still performs very well.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 01:46 AM
so a 6 month old xpa2 for $650 cdn plus shipping

would mean that down the line I would need to purchase a mono to run the center when i get it.
so i would be well over a grand for the 3 speakers on amps.

or go powersoft q5001 with the 4channel amp that i can get for just over $1000 no shipping

or i buy a xpa3 from factory and pay shipping and customs. over a $1000 aswell

or mono outlaws 2200 on sale for $810 plus shipping and customs
Posted By: Murph Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: GOD
Cam: Do you know that you just said, indirectly, that once you go black you can never go back.

And you were talking about your equipment, too.

Tsk, tsk.

HaHa.

Here is a true story for you.
I once had to take my Dad over for a test at a hospital in Moncton which is very much a bilingual city. Unknowingly, I drove to the "French" hospital instead of the English one. (not that they will turn you away, just an old tradition).

When we got to the parking gate, the man in the booth said hello and must have realized from our English that we were probably at the wrong place. In a very strong accent, he very politely told us so via this story....

"Dis here... Dis is da French Hospital. If you go in der, dey will make a Frenchman out of you! Dey will cut your dickie down to half da size, but dey will give you bionic hips! "

I laughed my head off but my poor old Dad didn't see the humor so much and started poking me saying "Let's go, we will be late."
Posted By: BobKay Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 02:32 PM
Hey, at least he was providng valuable information.

Did he also mention that if something went wrong, you'd have to wait for Americans to come save you?

Was it Vichy Memorial Hospital?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 02:36 PM
HA! Dat der is funny!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 03:36 PM
God forbid we actually remember the fighting France did in WW1 or the efforts of the Resistance during WW2. The fact that France conquerred half of Europe under Napoleon.

Why no, I haven't had my coffee yet, motherf*&!*!*&s.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 04:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
God forbid we actually remember...

If you're asking me, the answer is "no."
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 08:43 PM
Deleted
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 09:05 PM
Nitsud, browse some of the amplifiers here - Behringer, Crown, QSC, Peavey etc.

http://www.axemusic.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=240&strKeywords=Power%20Amps&strPageHistory=cat

Posted By: Adrian Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 09:15 PM
Check out www.acclaim-music.com for QSC amps in Canada, also.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/19/11 10:09 PM
a music store in Montreal who has good prices, like this one:
http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5223
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/21/11 03:53 AM
Thanks for the links guys still shopping around. Gun shy on buying second hand no reason really just would rather have new.

Any information on having 2 Emotiva xpa1 running my m80s. Is that too much amp for these guys or about right???
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/21/11 05:51 AM
Heh. Not hardly too much on these puppies. The XPA-1s look pretty damn cool. I'm all in favor of equipment that has that many warning labels on it.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/21/11 10:21 AM
"about right" is amp power about the same as the speaker rating.

to be more specific, you could read this:
http://forum.qscaudio.com/forum/viewtopi...a52daaddd1a0da3

if you don't want any headroom above, let's say, 105 dBSPL, you just have to calculate the power you need according to whatever SPL you want.
but it's always a good thing to have some spare horsepower.

you can find a calculator here:
http://www.crownaudio.com/apps_htm/designtools/elect-pwr-req.htm
i think the calculator is calibrated for large halls and mainly outdoor events, so the results will not apply exactly to indoor needs.
Less power is required indoors than outdoors.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 02:02 AM
JB, those suggestions from pro amp makers unfortunately have little relevance to home audio. Using speaker ratings is essentially meaningless when the question is how much power is needed for a given sound level, not how much the speaker could take continuously without suffering damage. Generally the answer to how much is needed is far lower than the maximum speaker rating. Actually, the minimum suggested(e.g., 10 watts by Axiom for the M80)may be closer to a realistic answer to the question.

As to the Crown power calculator, the problem with using its results for home listening, which you mention, has been discussed in some detail here previously when its general use was suggested without adding cautions. The formula shown for the calculations(specifically the 20xlog factor)shows that it's simply applying a 6dB per doubling of distance sound level reduction, which is only appropriate for an omni-directional sound source in anechoic conditions. The calculator page itself contains no caution as to this source of inaccuracy. Only in a separate discussion of power needed shown here does Crown mention this, and only near the end, under "Other Considerations" is this key point briefly explained. The 6dB correction factor suggested there results in reducing the calculator's result to 1/4th of its previous value, although for some reason even then Crown doesn't explicitly point out that a much less powerful amplifier can be bought, but merely comments that the 6dB correction can be added to headroom.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 10:27 AM
you're right, no question about it.
sorry if it might have mislead someone.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Heh. Not hardly too much on these puppies. The XPA-1s look pretty damn cool. I'm all in favor of equipment that has that many warning labels on it.

So I wont be causing any damage over time to these m80s? As in if I push these guys hard with the 1000w from time to time.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 05:09 PM
Just don't pump bass heavy content into the M80's at super loud volumes and it should be fine. Getting up to the point where you actually use 1000w would be difficult if not impossible in most home environments.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 05:16 PM
If you were to actually use 1000W, you'd probably have a lot more problems than damaging the speakers.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 05:59 PM
I am always curious as to the performance of some of these relatively cheap high power amps which are designed primarily for "live music" use where the noise floor, unlike those amplifiers designed for use in an A/V set-up, is not really of the same importance. I have used power amps in PA and musical instrument applications for live music and once the volume is cranked up they have a fairly audible amount of hum or hiss to them.

I am sure there are some out there that are better than others but so far, the ones I have encountered wouldn't be of much use in my A/V system.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 06:31 PM
my QSC does have a bit of noise, barely heard from where i sit (about 6ft from the speakers); if i set the amp's gain at -3dB, i don't hear any noise.

to get good control from the preamp's vol., i set the amp gain at -12dB.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 10:22 PM
So id be wasting my money on a 1000w amp for each speaker.

Yet I dont feel a 350w amp for each would not be good enough.

Does this mean I should not be looking for a mono and run say a 500w 2 channel for the pair of m80s.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 10:28 PM
1000w's is a great thing even though you probably won't need that much for the m80's. If you ever decide to build yourself a subwoofer, you could put that 1000w's to use as well. You can never have too much power but certainly you can have too little.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/22/11 10:34 PM
Well i already have a that 15.3 with 1000w amp being built by nathan soooooo that covers that.

Just sitting at the three choices with amps....

mono choices emotiva upa1 or outlaw 2200
or emotiva xpa1

2 channel choice is emotiva xpa2...

Im just not sure what to do whats to much what isnt enough how the difference in sound is gonna be from 2 channel to mono. So ya.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 03:03 AM
Patiently waitting. I cant make any purchases till the 7th.

Planning 3 x upa-1 (run the m80s and vp180) (but still on the fence)

and also buying the vp180.

finish paying for the 15.3 funkywave.

Hope the sale stays on till then.

I decided that running 350w mono channels was better then running 500w dual channels. Anyone chime in on that. I want to see the most gain out of listening to music. This is because I feel as I sit right now the m80s alone make me smile each time I watch a movie.

Also anyone let me know if cross talk is annoying or really that much of a pain in the ass (2 channel to mono) This is the only reason I am leaning towards mono.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 03:21 AM
Dustin, on any competently designed receiver or multi-channel separate amplifier crosstalk measures far below audibility and is far better than sufficient for full channel separation. This shouldn't be a significant factor in a purchase decision.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 04:29 AM
So john are u saying a 2 channel amp wih more power for stereo (lf and rf) with a mono (center) would perhaps give me the best of both worlds? Without worry from having a cross talk issue because I will never hear it anyways.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 06:15 AM
Dustin, I'm saying that crosstalk isn't an issue; but there still doesn't appear to be anything in your posts that establishes a need for the amplifiers that you're considering. It's been pointed out, although you apparently don't want to hear it, since you still talk about hundreds of watts, that your speakers will use about 1 watt for a comfortably loud average level and even brief peaks aren't likely to use more than about 100 watts.

This is what's needed for full enjoyment of music(which certainly doesn't require any more power than movies; amplification doesn't know which is which)and spending more money on unused maximum power capacity can't make it even better.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 06:20 AM
What no one has really set me at easy on is that in stereo I would like to turn these babies up loud enough to hear outside on my deck with no problems. Or bringing the entire sytstem outside to blast in an open range setting.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 06:33 AM
In my view that isn't enjoying music; it's just making a loud noise. For that use you should have a minimum of 1000 watts per channel.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 06:47 AM
How is that not enjoying music. I dont need to be sitting in a sealed room to enjoy my music. (home theatre is a different situation)

I have countless time with my wife and I along with a few other couple sitting by the lake on our deck trying to "ENJOY" music at levels in the room sound distorted (150ft away). All I want is to hear the music clear while doing this without us all sitting there saying what song is this. (Thought spending 8 grand on a system would get me there.)
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 06:50 AM
I state this in saying I dont want to add an out door system on my deck but get close to out door sound.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 06:53 AM
Really, you're probably better suited adding outdoor speakers. 150ft is a LONG way to go for any home speakers. But if you want it that loud, John's right, you need big honking amps. That certainly changes the equation. I wouldn't be worrying about crosstalk, I'd be worrying about maximum watts.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 07:12 AM
I wish I could have out door speakers (really really do would make things easy) but this is not the case. However my "WIFE" has a train of thought along with budget that Im not messing with. I just messured exactly and from living room to edge of the furthest chair from the furthest speaker is 86 ft.

Again my 4 level split has a width of 16" with a wall between the livng room and the kitchen (following the outside door and deck) this wall cover half the width west to east (system is setup on the westward wall with the deck door in the northward postion.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 07:16 AM
My property line is about an extra 80 feet past the 86ft.. Without say 1000w amps say a 500w dual on the fronts and a mono 300-350 on a center (even though I would probally not use for stereo) Is this going to give me close to a loud enough level without damage and per say too much power for movies.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 05:15 PM
If you are ever in Calgary I can let you listen to my PB 13 Ultra and M80 system to help you decide on what to get.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 05:38 PM
What no one has really set me at easy on is that in stereo I would like to turn these babies up loud enough to hear outside on my deck with no problems. Or bringing the entire sytstem outside to blast in an open range setting.

I have the same issue in our place. I do not have (and really we do not want) outdoor speakers on our patio, but i can open up two windows and turn up the volume on our main floor system to attain the adequate volume outside so we can enjoy music while out back.
To do this, a normal receiver was inadequate, but the Anthem MCA30 amp (about 200w / ch) has been sufficient.
Indoors at 10' distance i've measured the SPL around 108-110dB (using Tannoy Definition D700 speakers) while the SPL drops out on the deck to about 80dB.

Don't let anyone tell you that this isn't enjoying music!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/29/11 07:22 PM
My property line is about an extra 80 feet past the 86ft.. Without say 1000w amps say a 500w dual on the fronts and a mono 300-350 on a center (even though I would probally not use for stereo) Is this going to give me close to a loud enough level without damage and per say too much power for movies.
Never too much power for movies, unless you are outside as well, since you control the power entering the speakers with that little thing called volume control and in a closer listening levels a HT environment brings you just wouldn't have to turn the volume up as much as you do for outside listening.

I would certainly be entertaining seperate amps to run the M80s for the outside listening levels you desire and I would move the M80's onto the deck/patio if at all possible. I have run my M80s outside on my deck a few times and it's great.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 05/30/11 01:14 AM
Thank you all. Im thinking of the 2 channel and the mono. Then do some comparing to how they sound to me. Will give me some insight for how to proceed when I get my surrounds. I can always move the amps around and what not.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 06/13/11 04:37 AM
With the help from my wifey we received and now sent back the upa-1s and kept the xpa-2. Also purchasing the xpa-3 for the remaining 3 speakers.

Still waitting ever so patiently for my funkywaves 15.3 to be built and shipped... Looking like next week.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 06/15/11 05:27 PM
Complete setup is (somethings are still being purchased)

Axiom M80's fl fr
Axiom VP180 centre (near future)
Axiom QS8 surrounds (near future)
Emotiva XPA-2 for the m80's
Emotiva XPA-3 for the centre and surrounds (near future)
Denon 3311ci receiver as a base
Funky waves 15.3 (waitting to arrive)
40" LCD SOny Bravia
PS3
XBOX 360 with kinect

Posted this on another form aswell trying to get everyone opinion on the setup and maybe things that can be added of importance.

Thanks in advance people
Posted By: bdpf Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 06/15/11 05:42 PM
Just a first thought but if I were you I would hold off the XPA3 for now and put my money towards a bigger screen.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 06/15/11 05:57 PM
Thank you good thought. I just might go that way. Once I get the center and surrounds I will see how the output is from the reciever. I do have a mid to distant future plan of a 60" tv. Wanted to hold that thought to see some reveiws and performace of the 4d tvs coming out this fall.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 06/16/11 01:36 AM
Dustin, of the items that you list, in my view the QS8s would be what would increase your listening enjoyment the most. The M80s can do an excellent "phantom" center if necessary and the 3311 should be plenty for your remaining power requirements. The QS8 side surrounds can make things more realistic and impressive for all 2-channel(with e.g., DPLII)and 5-channel source materials.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 06/16/11 04:39 AM
Thanks John so use as side surrounds should I also have a pair of them for rear surrounds?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 06/16/11 05:43 AM
If you have enough room behind your listening position for a useful rear sound field to form(say at least 4'), then QS8s would be excellent there as well. If there's a considerable distance to the back wall, then direct radiating speakers such as the M2s have enough room for their sound to disperse and can also be used effectively.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 07/05/11 06:25 AM
What a pain in the ass...

Got my 15.3 from funkywaves today. OMG not only is the craftsmenship over and above anything I've ever seen but the added bonus of solid hard and accurate bass is unbelievable..

However because of 95% of my electronics being on my main floor this is causing my alienwarecomputer and hdtv sat box to run interference (ground loop) causing the unbareable hum. I believe I can solve the problem with filters. I am going to attempt that tomorrow hope all goes well. If anyone has suggestions feel free.
Posted By: CV Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 07/05/11 06:39 AM
Sorry to hear about the hum. That can drive you crazy. I'm sure we'd all love to see pictures whenever you have the time.

Have you actually taken components out of the chain to see if they're the culprit?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 07/05/11 06:49 AM
Dustin, if you mean that the hum is coming from the new sub, the first thing to check is if it's a problem in the sub amp itself. Disconnect the sub cable and turn it on with the only connection being the power cord. If there's still a hum, there's a defect in the sub amp.

If not, reconnect the cable and if you have one, plug the sub in with a "cheater" plug adapter to see if a ground loop is coming in at that point and that stops the hum. To be continued(probably).
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 07/05/11 12:56 PM
What a pain in the ass...

Got my 15.3 from funkywaves today. OMG not only is the craftsmenship over and above anything I've ever seen but the added bonus of solid hard and accurate bass is unbelievable..

However because of 95% of my electronics being on my main floor this is causing my alienwarecomputer and hdtv sat box to run interference (ground loop) causing the unbareable hum. I believe I can solve the problem with filters. I am going to attempt that tomorrow hope all goes well. If anyone has suggestions feel free.

Does the sub have a 3 prong plug? Get a cheater plug (3-2 prong adapter) to see if the hum will go away (temporary solution). Very quick and easy way for troubleshooting a groundloop.

A more permanent solution is disconnecting equipment one at a time to find where the ground loop is coming from. This can take time. The usual suspects would be the computer and the satellite. If you don't have cheater plugs start with disconnecting the satellite box and cable coming into the house to see if the hum stops.
Posted By: Nitsud Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 07/05/11 01:30 PM
I've already found that the hum comes from a combination of my hdtv sat box and also my computer. The sub runs awesome when I unplug the computer and cable. Each one adds hum when they are plugged back in.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Help a newbie with deciding m60s m80s - 07/05/11 01:46 PM
Yup, that's a ground loop. They are pesky buggers. If you want you can try a 3-2 prong adapter on the sub with the sat box and computer connected to see if that gets rid of the hum so you can temporarily enjoy your system while you are in the process of fixing the ground loop properly.
© Axiom Message Boards