Axiom Home Page
Posted By: brwsaw Sub acting weird - 04/09/14 04:06 PM
One of my subs is acting up.
It started when I connected a fourth sub to my system to see what improvement might be had. Of course I made adjustments to everything at the time so there could be other variables.
The sub is outputting bass/sound a little to long. When watching a movie it acts normal but when the scene goes dead quite you can hear it. I would compare the sound to that on a tv when there's no reception, just way lower.
During the movie it acts/sounds like it should and adds to the sensation of being there but when the scene goes silent it hangs on for a second or two and then cuts out. I find it distracting.
I've unplugged it several times, have re ran cables etc.
Is is possible that having them set soo low at the receiver (-10) is causing this?
As a reference, three powered subs are routed from one output on the receiver(1 of the subs has 1 source in 2 out), the sub making sound is on its own output from the receiver. If anything the other output should behaving issues.
I'm going to swap two of the subs, any other ideas?
Posted By: AAAA Re: Sub acting weird - 04/09/14 04:22 PM
I had a similar issue using plain jane RCA cables instead of shielded coax when splitting a signal. The subs would come on and stay on, and on, and on..... Had to unplug and sort out.

The fix in my case was to upgrade the sub cables to 75ohm shielded coaxial terminated with better ends. I ended up buying monster shielded RCA cables from the surplus section in princess auto. 15$ or so.

When I divided an already low signal I ran into issues. In your case, if not the cables, I would try a higher output setting from the AVR and turn each sub output down manually. This way hopefully each sub amp gets the input signal needed to behave properly.

Hope this helps. smile
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Sub acting weird - 04/09/14 04:29 PM
Sounds like a ground loop hum.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Sub acting weird - 04/09/14 04:53 PM
It could be, though there was no mention of constant noise floor or hum.

Ground loops are not fun....
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Sub acting weird - 04/09/14 08:15 PM
Its not a ground loop hum, I've already been through that.
The sound is just a low drone. Its not loud and the sub outputs everything else properly. Its the way it hangs on when everything else is silent and then goes silent as it should have 1-3 seconds earlier. It happens at every silent scene.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Sub acting weird - 04/10/14 12:41 AM
All subs act weird, especially those who teach Latin or Gym.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Sub acting weird - 04/11/14 09:22 PM
Get it sorted brwsaw?
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Sub acting weird - 04/12/14 02:05 AM
Yep.
I unplugged them all and left them that way.
I am thinking I'll sell a few for parts and try to find a pair to my PS1200.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Sub acting weird - 04/12/14 02:21 PM
Ha! Sometimes easy is best. smile
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Sub acting weird - 04/12/14 04:41 PM
The HP's really sound good on their own.
I'll need subs for my boom heavy movies but for everything else I already enjoying them without subs.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Sub acting weird - 04/28/14 07:09 AM
It was the first sub in the chains output.
I need to manually turn off the 1st sub in the chain and don't always remember to when leaving the room. While turning everything off tonight I heard the same sound I was hearing previously from the sub I was concerned about (last one in the chain). As soon as I turned off the first sub (within a second or two)the sound stopped. It appears the 1st sub was outputting a signal when none was being sent. This time my receiver had been off for 4-5 hours.
This should mean my 2 best subs are still functioning properly.
© Axiom Message Boards