Axiom Home Page
Posted By: brwsaw Boxes behind the screen - 01/18/15 09:19 PM
Has anyone here placed empty boxes behind a screen?
We're running short on storage space and moving the boxes from everything in the theater/screen room would free up a fair bit of room below the stairs.
I'm more interested in pro's and con's, do no harm being the goal.

Believe it or not I probably have just enough room for every non collapsed box.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Boxes behind the screen - 01/19/15 07:39 PM
With 35 views and 0 comments I'd assume no ones tried it.

Too bad they wouldn't work like bass traps. I do have a 5" round hole saw and a pile of insulation laying around.

I hate to recycle them just to need them down the road.

Leave them alone or add 5" holes and batts or recycle them to gain back the ~200cu ft of storage space...hmm...
Posted By: fredk Re: Boxes behind the screen - 01/19/15 07:54 PM
Are your mains back there as well?
Posted By: AAAA Re: Boxes behind the screen - 01/19/15 11:39 PM
I stored 5 channels woprth behind our couch in the rear of our last room. Flattened boxes and layed on floor. Under your riser would be better I would say. Not thinking of sound, just keeping your area clear for future tweaking, maintenence trip hazards etc.
Posted By: AAAA Re: Boxes behind the screen - 01/19/15 11:39 PM
Yes woprth
Posted By: MMM Re: Boxes behind the screen - 01/20/15 01:07 AM
The problem is not actually the boxes, but the bits of custom fit foam that is sitting inside of those boxes. Chances are that you could consolidate a bunch of the foam into a single box so there now is only a single box that is taking up space. Then the remaining boxes can have the tape joint at the bottom cut and they could flatten down pretty well. Even less space taken up.
Posted By: michaeld Re: Boxes behind the screen - 01/20/15 02:07 AM
That's pretty much what I did with a bunch of boxes a few houses ago; consolidated the foam pieces into a couple of boxes and flattened the remaining boxes. The best way to move electronics is in the original box it came in.

I wrote what each Styrofoam piece went to right on the piece itself with a Sharpie. E.G. "Bluray left/Bluray right" etc.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Boxes behind the screen - 01/20/15 03:06 AM
One of those "why didn't I think of it" moments. It was all or nothing until then.

My mains are behind the screen, not sure where else I'd put them....
There is 4' behind the screen now.

What would happen if you ported a speaker into a box?

Silly questions, I need some sleep.
Posted By: fredk Re: Boxes behind the screen - 01/20/15 04:42 AM
Originally Posted By: brwsaw

My mains are behind the screen, not sure where else I'd put them....
There is 4' behind the screen now.

The only silly question is the one not asked. I assumed the speakers were back there, but you know what they say about assumptions.

I would think that all those boxes back there would have some impact on the sound.

FWIW, I did the same as others here, put all the foam in one box and flattened the rest. Didn't think to label the foam bits though.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Boxes behind the screen - 01/20/15 05:46 AM
I think I might just try it, if only to clean out from below the stairs.
Pictures?
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Boxes behind the screen - 02/09/15 02:27 AM
Just wanted to kill the thread, wrap it up....
Boxes would fit IF the supports for the screen didn't run along the floor between the speakers to the back wall. Ah well, t'was a dumb idea.
© Axiom Message Boards