Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ralrandy QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 01:53 PM
Just received my QS8's and will need to mount them to my
rear wall beside my couch. Looking for feedback on those of you that have used them this way.
Thanks
Posted By: gem41573 Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 02:06 PM
Can you maybe explain a bit clearer what the setup will be? If you mean on the rear wall behind your couch, that is where I have mine due to limited options. The QS8's should sound great just about wherever you put them.

I mounted mine about 2-3 feet above my listening position, and spread apart a decent amount (at work now, don't know the exact distance), about equidistant from my listening postion. I used the Axiom provided brackets, and everything looks and works great.
Posted By: HawKe Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 02:21 PM
The way the mounting brackets are shaped, you also have a pretty good chance of finding a stud for at least one of the holes. If not, just anchor them with standard drywall fasteners. Assuming you meant 'behind' your couch, if you want a visual, my system is located here:

http://www.audioholics.com/about/staffsystems/system3.php

They are about 7' apart and 7' off the floor.

These speakers are very forgiving, just allow them to work like they should - with plenty of room above below and beside. (i.e. if you have 8' ceilings, don't mount them 7' from the floor)
Posted By: sushi Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 03:05 PM
Here is my QS8 placement. They are stud-mounted ~6' high and nearly 16' apart from each other, so that they are almost on the sides rather than back from the primary listening position (end of the sectional coach right in front of the projector).

Thanks for another chance of linking to the picture. hehe...
Posted By: tobz67 Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 04:41 PM
Question about postioning the QS8s, right now I've got them pipe clamped to some vertical shower curtain rods on either side of the couch so I can play with position and height. The couch sits against the back wall and the side walls are only a couple feet to either side.

Is it better to mount them on the back wall facing the front of the room or on the sidewalls facing in towards the listening position?
Posted By: sushi Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 05:10 PM
Toby, either will likely work. Just choose the one that sounds better (and/or more practical for various other reasons).
Posted By: pmbuko Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 05:33 PM
Sushi,

That's weird.... I don't see anything there.
Posted By: sushi Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 05:57 PM
tsk, tsk, tsk... Peter! Go back to work!!!
Posted By: sushi Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 06:31 PM
Peter, nevertheless, I appreciate the careful consideration you have exhibited by not installing a big-box RPTV in place of my FP along the backwall.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 07:17 PM
Now you're just giving me ideas...
Posted By: sushi Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 08:02 PM
I knew you were going to say that...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 09:31 PM
I think maybe you should report his activities and slacking to his boss. Y'all work at the same institution.... [evil grin]
Posted By: pmbuko Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 10:26 PM
The only thing that matters at the end of the day is that your overall productivity is on-par with or better than that of your co-workers. I tend to work in spurts and enjoy the calms in between.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 10:45 PM
You know, I think Peter and I may be clones. We seem to enjoy posting the same silly things, we have similar political leanings, and now it seems that we even work the same!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 10:47 PM
For the last time, I am not... um... gonna say it.

My MO at work is to unleash (i.e. put into action) a big project I have been working on to wow the higher-ups every once in a while. It's amazing how HTML and Perl/PHP scripting can create something that essentially looks like magic to those unfamiliar with them. I ain't gonna tell them it's not rocket science, though.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/19/03 10:55 PM
I've been meaning to ask this...what's that on your cat's head?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/20/03 02:04 AM
It's a sock. My wife enjoys torturing the cats in minor ways. (of course, when that picture was taken, she was "just" my g/f. Or fiance.) Either way, the cat was 8 pounds then and is about 14 now. I'm going to have to dig up a better picture, but that's the only picture I had handy of one of the cats that looked good (or at least like a cat) at that size.
Posted By: JohnK Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/20/03 02:38 AM
Randy, since you won't actually have "side" surrounds, you should separate them on the back wall as far as practicable, similar to what sushi has done, so as to get more of a side surround effect.
Posted By: JohnK Re: QS8 Rear Wall Mounting - 09/20/03 02:47 AM
Toby,in a 5.1 setup without back surrounds it's suggested that the side surrounds should be a little farther back than being directly alongside you. Since you can't really do that with side wall positioning and your couch near the back wall, put the QS8s on the back wall facing forward and widely separated fairly close to the side walls.
© Axiom Message Boards