Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jmone EP500 Dying, any Advice? - 05/07/17 03:24 AM
My original EP500 (must be 10years old) all of a sudden just whispers. It powers up - has a green light and while it works it you barley hear anything, even at 100%. Even my AVR's Audio Calibration Mic can not hear it.

Has anyone come across this before and any advice before I pop the Plate Amp off the back to see if there is something obvious (I've tried swapping cables, level, inputs, outputs, settings etc)?

Thanks
Nathan
Posted By: jmone Re: EP500 Dying, any Advice? - 05/07/17 06:29 AM
FYI - I pulled the amp out. Looks pristine and I did not see any obvious bulged caps, burnt bits etc. Wobbled some wires and put it all back together. No changes.
Posted By: real80sman Re: EP500 Dying, any Advice? - 05/07/17 02:09 PM
I had the same thing happen a few years back with the same vintage EP600. Sent Axiom a picture of the amp, and unfortunately they weren't able to repair it. (Design change, and no readily available parts) They offered me a discounted price on the current replacement amp. Give them a call.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: EP500 Dying, any Advice? - 05/07/17 08:15 PM
Is there a fuse?
Anyone?
Posted By: jmone Re: EP500 Dying, any Advice? - 05/07/17 10:07 PM
All the dials works (vol, cross overs, curve), but is almost like the woofer is just being driven by pre-amp rather than a power amp.

I'm handy enough to replace parts but not handy enough to work out what bit needs replacing. I'm betting it is some 10c part.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP500 Dying, any Advice? - 05/08/17 04:10 PM
My EP600 from 10 or so years ago started acting up, the volume would be very low and as I increased the gain knob all of a sudden it would jump to like 110dB. In the end as Shawn mentioned the parts for the old amps are no longer available, but Axiom, could quote you on a newer amp if you call them.

The only thing you could try is unplug it from the wall outlet and let set for a couple of minutes and then try it again, that has saved me on some strange poltergeist activites.
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP500 Dying, any Advice? - 05/08/17 05:34 PM
Originally Posted By SirQuack
My EP600 from 10 or so years ago started acting up, the volume would be very low and as I increased the gain knob all of a sudden it would jump to like 110dB.

It's probably obvious, but that sounds a lot like a dirty potentiometer.

Did anyone with similar issues try giving the gain knob a hefty shot of contact cleaner (or whatever it was that we used to spray into noisy controls) ?

I'm sure the answer is "duh, of course" but have to ask smile
Posted By: real80sman Re: EP500 Dying, any Advice? - 05/09/17 01:44 AM
Originally Posted By bridgman

It's probably obvious, but that sounds a lot like a dirty potentiometer.

Did anyone with similar issues try giving the gain knob a hefty shot of contact cleaner (or whatever it was that we used to spray into noisy controls) ?

I'm sure the answer is "duh, of course" but have to ask smile

Never thought of that John. I still have the old amp packed away. The plan was to eventually take it to a local repair guy and have him look at it. I will have to give your suggestion a try. Thanks!
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP500 Dying, any Advice? - 05/09/17 08:52 PM
Hey, look what I found smile

Link

I wonder what "static" sounds like through a 100 Hz low pass filter. Probably sounds like silence.
© Axiom Message Boards