Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JimmyTango M22 stands - 11/11/03 07:20 PM
Of the stands Axiom sells, which are the best with the 22's? This will be used as a HT/music 50/50.

Finaly decided on everything, was going to go with the 60's, but right now can pull off the 22's with a good sub(yes, HSU), and then i will use the 22's as my rear surrounds in about a year when I order 60's.
Posted By: sushi Re: M22 stands - 11/11/03 07:44 PM
Congrats, Jimmy. So, what other speakers/gears did you decide on?

Besides the Axiom stands (which I think looks very nice with the aluminum cones), you may want to browse through racksandstands.com.
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: M22 stands - 11/11/03 07:47 PM
VP150s and QS8's(my deciding factor on speakers were the 22's vs 60's, I decided 60's are a later upgrade).

Going with the Denon 2803 for a temporary receiver. I will later upgrade the amps(in about a year, when I will be getting hte 60's), and then replacing the 2803 with a good preamp. i have been checking out the outlaw lines. The have had impressive reviews, but I want to demo them. The nice thing is I will have a year to decide on pre/amp.
Posted By: sushi Re: M22 stands - 11/11/03 07:52 PM
Oh, and the stands should be 16"-18" high for the M22s -- the idea is to place the tweeter approximately at the height of your ears in the listening position.
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: M22 stands - 11/11/03 07:56 PM
I figured that size would be best, i though the 24 inchers sounded too high.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: M22 stands - 11/11/03 09:29 PM
Many people have preferred the M22ti's up a bit higher. (Myself included) I bought the recommended stands from Axiom, only to end up using some older, taller ones I already had.
Posted By: JimmyTango Re: M22 stands - 11/11/03 11:04 PM
I think I will hold off on the stands and put them on something and see which height sounds the best.
Posted By: sushi Re: M22 stands - 11/11/03 11:46 PM
Yup, such experiments will never hurt.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M22 stands - 11/12/03 12:41 AM
JT, yes you should experiment with speaker height. For example, I designed and constructed special variable-height stands when I got my M22s(stacks of old Stereo Review magazines). I'd suggest that you use a test-tone CD rather than music alone to get a more accurate comparison(also do stand-up, squat-down tests). Although the difference isn't enormous, the pattern slightly above the tweeter axis is clearly better than that below-axis, so if anything go a bit low on your choice of stand height. About 16-18" should be about right, depending on your own seating height.
Posted By: Surfaday Re: M22 stands - 11/12/03 12:54 AM
I too was wondering about stand height for the M22's. I did end up getting the 16" stands from Axiom, but here in this thread is one bit of advice to place them a little higher and then another says a little lower. Can we get some clarification?

Thanks!

Walt
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M22 stands - 11/12/03 12:57 AM
Unfortunately, it depends on your room and many other factors. I have a feeling that WAF will be a major factor in many decisions (including mine...)

What sounds good to you?
Posted By: gem41573 Re: M22 stands - 11/12/03 04:06 PM
I went with 22" sound organisation stands, and have been very pleased with the results. I checked lots of websites before purchasing, and while the consensus is to get stands that put the tweeter around ear height, there is absolutely no consensus as to whether to go a bit above or a bit below ear height if there is no perfect match.

So, the 22' stands were almost dead on with my ear height, but if anything, they are a bit higher. It sounds great, and I have not noticed any negative effect from switching from 20" stands which were a bit lower.
Posted By: johnbasham Re: M22 stands - 11/12/03 09:03 PM
Jimmy, these are the ones I use and they work great,can fill the tubes with sand or shot for added mass!
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=13749894&St=6481&St2=73814747&St3=-77162738&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=16138&DID=7

Posted By: DAVEY_RACKETS Re: M22 stands - 11/13/03 03:24 PM
Jimmy, I bought a pair of stands that look great, and are functional. Do you have a store near you called "The Great Indoors". They had a pair of nice speakers, wood shaft . Worth to look at. Got them for 70.00 pr I believe.
Posted By: Surfaday Re: M22 stands - 11/14/03 08:39 AM
Is "added mass" in a speaker stand something that will affect sound or would its purpose be to make the stand more stable?

Walt
Posted By: johnbasham Re: M22 stands - 11/14/03 02:33 PM
I would think that it would serve both purposes, depending on what was used to fill the tubes, I used lead shot because some have said that it helps with any cabinet resonance.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: M22 stands - 11/14/03 06:11 PM
Ideally, you want your stand to be completely solid and non-resonant. Even the most well-built speaker cabinet will resonate a bit when playing music. If the surface a speaker is not solid enough, then the resonance of one will add to the other, compounding the negative effect.

Sand and lead shot are both great and effective materials to fill your stands with and deaden them, in addition to making them more stable and difficult to knock over accidentally.
Posted By: Opera_Tenor Re: M22 stands - 11/17/03 06:02 PM
I experimented with several stand heights for my M22s, and decided on 26". First, my couch has me sitting with my ears much higher than 18" inch stands could place the tweeters. Second, I found the upper and midrange to sound better below the tweeter axis than below, while bass performance was stronger above the axis. My subwoofer is boomy enough without any acoustical reinforcement, so I placed the speakers up. Third, I often listen while walking around my house, so the shorter stands were far below my standing listening position.

I found some beautiful matching (I hope) cherry stands here, as suggested above: http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=WT0050&catid=9

I'll let you know if the color matches when they come in.
Posted By: Saint Re: M22 stands - 11/17/03 10:14 PM
I use the Atlantis stands.

http://www.audioshop.on.ca/atlantis.htm

Can't remember what hight.

© Axiom Message Boards