Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jfoxtrot9 mounting QS8s - 12/22/03 02:48 PM
And here is another question........I have to mount my surrounds close to the ceiling, whether I go side or rear placement. If I go side placement, I will have to mount about 7' up, which is about 4" top clearance to the ceiling. Rear placement, I can give about 10" top clearance. Any advice as to which would be better?
Posted By: alan Re: mounting QS8s - 12/22/03 03:35 PM
Hi Jfoxtrot9,

You should be okay with 4 inches of clearance for the top woofer. Although I usually advise more clearance, we have a pair in our factory listening room that are that close to the ceiling and they sound just fine.

You could use a couple of stepladders to support them and try them out at the sides and at the rear to see where they might function best. The QS8s are very forgiving.

Regards,
Posted By: jfoxtrot9 Re: mounting QS8s - 12/22/03 04:04 PM
Thanks Alan. This is what I really wanted to hear. (Although the woman wants them on the back wall because of appearance reasons) But if the "expert" recommends side over rear mounting even with the low clearance, how can one argue with that!:) I will play around before drilling any holes though. Thanks again. Jeff
Posted By: spiffnme Re: mounting QS8s - 12/22/03 05:52 PM
In reply to:

If I go side placement, I will have to mount about 7' up, which is about 4" top clearance to the ceiling.

Dang, you must have low ceilings. Are you a hobbit?
Posted By: jfoxtrot9 Re: mounting QS8s - 12/22/03 06:11 PM
Man, I about blew pop out my nose...(hobbit) I have 8'2" ceilings. The QS8 is 8 1/4" tall. 7'1"(mount ht, bottom of speaker, maybe I should have noted) + 8 1/4" (QS8 ht) = 4 3/4"(clearance)
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: mounting QS8s - 12/22/03 08:41 PM
Mine are mounted less than 4" from the ceiling and sound fine. I about blew dew out my nose when you said pop!
Posted By: jfoxtrot9 Re: mounting QS8s - 12/22/03 09:40 PM
From Ohio. Yeah, I know, SODA!!
Posted By: spiffnme Re: mounting QS8s - 12/22/03 10:17 PM
At least he didn't say "Tonic". That's a popular term in the Northeast.

I was thinking if the speakers were 7' high, and you had 4" clearance...you must have 7' 4" ceilings. (I assumed wrongly that your 7' measurement was from the top of the QS8.)

Posted By: JohnK Re: mounting QS8s - 12/22/03 11:20 PM
Jeff, a significant factor is how close you'll be sitting to the back wall. If the QS8s are on the side wall they should preferably also be a little behind the sitting position to lend a little "back" effect. If you're going to be sitting right up against the back wall, there's obviously no room on the side wall to do this. In that case mounting the QS8s on the back wall and separated widely, almost to the side walls, is probably a good idea.
Posted By: oachalon Re: mounting QS8s - 12/23/03 04:53 AM
yeah im from ohio soda sounds weird to me. Its all about saying pop.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: mounting QS8s - 12/24/03 03:29 AM
at least you're not from the south where everything is coke.
Posted By: mwc Re: mounting QS8s - 12/24/03 03:38 AM
In reply to:

at least you're not from the south where everything is coke

That's too funny. It reminds me of when I was growing up in Louisiana. When someone would say "give me a coke" the reply would always be "what flavor" or "what kind".
© Axiom Message Boards