Axiom Home Page
Posted By: kittel rear speakers for 7.1 QS-8 vs M2 - 12/28/03 02:37 PM
Hello,

I currently have the M60s, VP150 and QS-8 with an SVS 20-39 sub with a Yamaha 1400. Room is about 14x25x10.

I would like to add two rear speakers for 7.1. I see that most use either the QS-8 or the M2. Since there is a considerable price diff, I was wondering which would be the way to go. Would the quad polar effect of the QS-8 be usefull for this speaker position or are the rear speakers so minor that the direct M2 would be plenty?

THanx
Posted By: Highland121 Re: rear speakers for 7.1 QS-8 vs M2 - 12/28/03 04:43 PM
I have never tried a QS8 for my rear channel in my 6.1 setup, but I do have a M2i there now and it works very well. I have noticed that very little actual sound comes from the rear position, even when watching Gladiator, Which is the only movie I have that plays in DTS 6.1 discreet mode. I can tell you that the 5-6 DVD-As I have sound great from all speakers.
Just my .02
Posted By: mhorgel Re: rear speakers for 7.1 QS-8 vs M2 - 12/29/03 01:25 AM
By all means if you are going to listen to DVD-Audio or SACD get M2's for your rear speakers. The rear channel information in 5.1 music recordings is meant to be listened to with direct radiating speakers. Otherwise, one QS-8 will probably do the trick, since the rear 2 channels in DD and DTS are actually one signal.

One caveat...If you are going to listen to 5.1 DVD-A or SACD and use M2's for your rear speakers, your receiver or pre/pro will need a full set of 7.1 inputs. Many have only one input that is shared by both rear channels.
© Axiom Message Boards