Axiom Home Page
Posted By: littleb I Want a b-day present! - 03/02/04 03:43 PM
Hey gang,

My b-day is coming up real fast and I would like to buy something for my set up that will make me say WOW, why didn't I think of that before.

I have a Yamaha htr-5280 receiver, m22's for fronts, a crap advent center, crap advent satellites and a JBL pb15 sub. I have considered a different receiver, moving the m22's to the rear and getting Axiom floorstanders for the front, and buying Axiom center and rear speakers. Of these thoughts, which of them would have the most effect on the sound of my system? My first inclination is to buy a pair of floorstanders for the front and move the 22s to the rear, in which case I'm still stuck with the advent center. Any input will be appreciated.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/02/04 05:49 PM
When you say "any input will be appreciated", you're asking for trouble!

I don't think replacing the receiver is going to give you any "wow" at all.

How much HT/Music? If you're spending a lot of time "listening" to the center channel, you'd probably see a pretty big improvement by upgrading it. Same deal with the surrounds; if they are direct-radiating and not of the quality you'd like, you'll probably see a dramatic improvement in HT experience by moving up to the QS4 or QS8's.

If I were in your position, I'd probably upgrade the surrounds, the center, the sub, and the receiver in that order, keeping the M22's as mains.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/02/04 05:53 PM
How big is your room?

The M22s are fantastic speakers. I have a feeling that any replacement tower you choose (e.g. M60, M80) won't make you say WOW as much as it will make you say "Well, it's definitely a bit better."

That being said, I think you'd get more improvement for your money by getting the VP150, QS8s, and possibly a new sub. Your receiver has enough oomph that it should be last in line for an upgrade.
Posted By: smoovranger Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/02/04 05:57 PM
I think the first thing I would do (and what I did) is upgrade the center. That was the easy choice for me (M22's and VP150). Now I'm trying to figure out which comes next: Better sub or Better surrounds. I'm saving the Floorstanders for my last speaker upgrade.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/02/04 05:59 PM
great minds...
Posted By: twodan19 Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/02/04 07:13 PM
screw the set up, how about a 911, or a tt, bet tunes would sound great in either one of those.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/02/04 07:44 PM
Boy, talk about an open invitation . Your biggest improvement opportunity appears to be the quality of your audio and this should be done via speakers.

Let's do this by elimination:
1) The 5280 gets high marks from the audio review site that provides user reviews. Unless you need more power or something beyond 5.1, you look to be OK. This conclusion assumes there is no venting of your testoterone pressure required. Upgrades can happen here at Christmas.

2) 15" sub. Yeah, that can probably tickle your feet to an extent. Don't know how it compares to Axiom, HSU or SVS, but there is a presence already in place. No immediacy here and your next birthday is only a year away.

3) I'm going out on a limb here, , but I believe your description of a "crap" center and "crap" surrounds MIGHT be indicators of what you really want to do. The size of your room (and budget) dictates whether the M22s go to the rear with M60s replacing them or the M22s stay and the QS8s show up at the back of the room. Keeping the M22s up front with the QS8s in the back allows for the new center. The new center needs to show up regardless. You might even consider the M40s or M50s - they don't get the love they deserve.

Good luck with the fun.
Posted By: littleb Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/03/04 03:26 PM
H-U-H!
Posted By: littleb Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/03/04 03:29 PM
I keep having this dream about giving away my Yamaha receiver, purchasing an HK, purchasing a pair of m50's for mains and moving the 22's to the rear. I hope I'm not having a nightmare!
Posted By: twodan19 Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/03/04 04:23 PM
i guess your not into cars. 911 is a porsche at TT is an audi.
Posted By: littleb Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/03/04 04:48 PM
I'll take the porsche.
Posted By: littleb Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/09/04 01:22 PM
I've come up with a Birthday idea. I'm considering ordering a pair of Dahlquist QX9's from Marc @ the audio shop. Good idea or no?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/09/04 01:54 PM
Instead of Axioms? What blasphemy!!!
Posted By: littleb Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/14/04 06:20 PM
Dag nabbit, tomorrow is the day and I still haven't made a decision. I'm tempted to go with floorstanders(I'm leaning towards joining the m50 crew). If I do this the m22s go to the rear. I'm also considering the m3s as rears leaving the m22s in the fronts, so I would have the option to use them as fronts in a 2 channel system if need be. I don't relish the thought of springing for the more expensive qs series which can only be used as rears. I need more input. In summary this is my question: Do I go with an m50+m22 set up or an m22+m3 set up? Please discuss while I pour another cup of coffee.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/14/04 07:16 PM
how about 22s all the way around if you dont want surround speakers?that would probably be nice for music.....ron
Posted By: littleb Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/16/04 08:21 PM
I know it's a day late. But, I had a talk with Joe and I have made a decision. I only have one question left. I have the m22s in boston cherry which I'm moving to the rear. I am purchasing new fronts. I'm not sure if I want to stick with that color for my new fronts--its kind of dark. Heads--light maple or tails--mansfield beech?
Posted By: TweedleyD Re: I Want a b-day present! - 03/16/04 11:15 PM
I have the Mansfield Beech an luv the Color looks awesome with the Grills off an up against a Darker wall have seen a pic of the Light Maple that looked good also can't go wrong with either in my Opinion
© Axiom Message Boards