Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jimmyk Sub search - 06/20/04 12:36 PM
I'm trying to decide on a sub to go along with my m60's, vp150, and qs8's. I'm looking at the SVS subs but would like to get some input on which one to use. My room is 15x25 with 9' ceilings. It is a dedicated home theater room with walls on all four sides. Do not want to shake the house down but just get some good bass when watching movies.
Posted By: Thasp Re: Sub search - 06/20/04 06:24 PM
If you don't mind the cylinder design, go for it. You get a lot more sub for the same price as a cube sub.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Sub search - 06/20/04 06:54 PM
SVS and Hsu are the kings of subs.

If it were me, in a dedicated HT room, I'd get the Hsu 1220HO cylinder and amp.
Posted By: Wid Re: Sub search - 06/20/04 06:59 PM
Besides Hsu and Svs take a look at Outlaw Audio LFM-1.Never heard one but it does look good.It is pretty much a Hsu-Stf3.It is $20.00 cheaper and last time I looked it had free shipping.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sub search - 06/20/04 07:59 PM
For just movies, the Hsu 1220HO is waaaay more than you need. That sucker goes down to 16Hz, and loudly! It's perfect if you like to blast pipe organ music, though.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Sub search - 06/21/04 04:20 AM
Jimmy, unless you want to pay more the 25-31PCi would be plenty. Ask Tom to tune it to 22Hz(no extra charge).
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Sub search - 06/21/04 10:47 PM
I agree with John, but take a look at the 20-39PCi. It gets down to 20hz, but you give up a bit of headroom; not that you are likely to need the missing volume unless you will be commiting "death by LFE" . I felt I got a bit more benefit by going lower (at any volume) than bu having more headroom I wouldn't need/use.

What you really should do is call SVS and have them talk you through the decision - great folks.
Posted By: ericb Re: Sub search - 06/24/04 08:42 PM
I bought an Outlaw LFM-1 and it sounds great compared to the Boston Acoustics sub I had before it. Lots of punch when needed and blends great with my Axioms. I mostly listen to music or watch concert DVD's so I wasn't looking to rattle the walls (although it will with no problem) - I just wanted something to make my M22's sound like big towers. Couldn't go the SVS cylinder route due to the low WAF.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Sub search - 06/24/04 08:54 PM
the WAF on a 'water heater' sub.. wish me luck too..

bigjohn
Posted By: Moab Re: Sub search - 06/25/04 03:55 PM
I got my SVS PB-2 yesterday......All i can say is OMG!! The thing came on a pallet and I had to wait for a friend to come over and help me move this beast in the corner. I threw in Band of Brothers DVD and watched some war clips and this thing shaked everything from my pant legs to my whole house. Cant wait to tweek it more.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Sub search - 06/25/04 07:23 PM
There's no feeling like the first time you let a good subwoofer rip. Did you need to break out a mop to soak up the puddles of drool on the floor?
© Axiom Message Boards