Axiom Home Page
Posted By: tjk Help with connections for QS8's - 07/08/04 08:22 PM
I could use some help here. Had my setup for about a month now and couldn't be happier. However, I can't figure out how to connect the QS8's. I knew well before I got them that banana plugs wouldn't work, but I thought spades would. I have the QS8's wall mounted with the supplied 7-hole T bracket. I ordered some Monster masterlock connectors with angled spades and there was no way the speaker would sit flush with the wall (the wires are not inside the wall).

Right now I just have bare wire in the binding posts, which I guess I'm ok with, but does anyone know what terminations might work? I do not want to use the Full Metal Bracket - I like the speaker being flush with the wall. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: Help with connections for QS8's - 07/08/04 09:00 PM
Personally I would stick with the bare wire method. The spade and banana connections are just for convenience anyway.

I use the full metal bracket on my QS8’s and it’s not easy to connect a banana connector.

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Help with connections for QS8's - 07/08/04 09:01 PM
there are a lot of us in that same boat. i also just stuck the wire in the binding post hole, and screwed down the cap, so dont worry, you are not alone.

the banana plugs i got were also too big, but i know there are some out there that are small enough for you to flush mount..my only problem is i dont know any brand names or websites to tell you to go to find em??

hopefully someone will help out.

bigjohn
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Help with connections for QS8's - 07/08/04 09:09 PM
tjk, the clearance on the QS8s, as you have found out, doesn't lend itself to spades/bananas. Nothing at all wrong with bare wire, but if uncomfortable, you might try coating the ends with solder.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help with connections for QS8's - 07/09/04 03:55 AM
TJ, as the other replies have indicated, there's no reason that you shouldn't be "ok" with using the bare wire connection. The only advantage of banana plugs or other connectors would be convenience if you were frequently connecting and disconnecting, which I assume isn't the case. You don't explain why this might concern you, and it shouldn't. Relax.
Posted By: tjk Re: Help with connections for QS8's - 07/09/04 06:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll stick with the bare wire - it's certainly the easiest and best looking, and I don't intend to move the speakers around now that they are mounted.

I guess I always thought that gold plated connectors had a relevant function, like reducing oxidation? As you can see, I'm no expert on the topic. I do have good speaker cable and nice banana plugs everywhere else on my system, but it seems like the consensus here is the sonic advantage of fancy connectors is possibly another "snake oil" myth of the HT industry?
Posted By: ringmir Re: Help with connections for QS8's - 07/09/04 07:22 PM
If you get gold plated connectors, and make a good solder join between the wire and the connectors, then yes, there will be less oxidation to worry about. Thing is, it's still an additional connection in the line. And if it's not a good solder connection, or not soldered, it will probably make things worse overall. I think the connectors are for convenience more than anything personally.
Posted By: Daphoid Re: Help with connections for QS8's - 07/12/04 01:23 PM
Wire should be fine, although I use the FMB and banana plugs with mine, although mine are ceiling mounted and the banana plugs went in really easily. Even my VP150 (FMB to a wall) has the plugs, you just have to put them in, then mouth the speaker

- D
© Axiom Message Boards