Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jordanz M60s small or large - 07/28/04 07:36 PM
If you have M60s and a subwoofer are you setting your receiver to large or small for them?
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: M60s small or large - 07/28/04 07:38 PM
small.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: M60s small or large - 07/28/04 07:55 PM
definitelt small, and set sub crossover to 60 or 80.. which ever sounds best to you.. but i would start at 80, and see how you like that.

bigjohn
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: M60s small or large - 07/28/04 08:11 PM
You guys trying to tell me that size DOES matter?!?

I believe that somebody credible around here has them set to large.

I like John's suggestions, and would underscore the "whatever sounds best to you" part.

Posted By: Din Re: M60s small or large - 07/28/04 09:06 PM
Hi Tomtuttle

What kind of receiver do you have. I assume you have the M60's as your front main speakers. On my HK 630, I have an option where I can send the LFE's to both the sub and the fronts at the same time.

So, check if your receiver has a bass management function that allows you to do that. Give it a try and see if you like it!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: M60s small or large - 07/28/04 09:16 PM
Thanks, Din. I lusted after the 5xx and 6xx series HK's, but settled for a Denon 1804. I believe it will allow me to set the M60 mains to Large (full range) or Small (only above the variable crossover point). I'm actually running them sans sub right now, in anticipation of getting an SVS real soon So really, I was just cracking wise. But I'll be experimenting and calibrating aplenty after the SVS arrives.
Posted By: JohnK Re: M60s small or large - 07/28/04 11:50 PM
Jordan, since the basic idea is to allow a good sub to handle what it does best, even mains with pretty good bass of their own, such as M60s, should be set small. Partially relieving the M60s of the burden of the lowest bass allows it to handle the rest a bit more cleanly and does the same for the receiver amps(actually this is a form of active bi-amping) . The THX recommendation of an 80Hz crossover has been found to be a good compromise, being high enough to relieve the mains, but not so high as to make the sub easily localizable.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: M60s small or large - 07/28/04 11:57 PM
Once again, John is right on the money. The other advantage of pumping all of the LFE through the sub is that it provides for easier bass management.
Posted By: jordanz Re: M60s small or large - 07/29/04 12:31 AM
Thanks - do any of you switch to large when listening to 2 channel music or do you keep it the same?
Posted By: Ajax Re: M60s small or large - 07/29/04 12:42 AM
I do.
Posted By: denver Re: M60s small or large - 07/29/04 02:30 AM
In reply to:

Thanks - do any of you switch to large when listening to 2 channel music or do you keep it the same?

On my Yamaha, I choose "Direct Stereo" to listen to two-channel music out of just the M-60's (with no signal processing by the receiver), or "Straight" to listen to just the M-60's and the sub. I never change from "small" to "large," which would require drilling down through the setup menus.
© Axiom Message Boards