Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jordanz QS8s - angled or flat - 07/28/04 07:39 PM
I've mounted my QS8s on the wall using the FMB. My wife insisted that I put them pretty high up (about 8 feet - we have very high ceilings). Should I slant them down towards my couch or keep them at 90 degrees?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: QS8s - angled or flat - 07/28/04 07:45 PM
Hi Jordan,

At the risk of massively oversimplifying, I'd suggest that you experiment a bit and do whatever sounds best to you in your room. Unlike the unholy horror of tube amplification, there is no right and wrong on your question

Unless of course your wife likes them better one of the ways.
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8s - angled or flat - 07/28/04 07:46 PM
Roughly how high above the listeners ears are we talking?

Shoot, with the FMB just try them both ways and just go with whatever you prefer.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: QS8s - angled or flat - 07/28/04 07:49 PM
jordanz,

I would adjust until it sounds right. To be honest, I don't think there is a wrong answer here. The only thing I would do is to play with different angles until it's right.
I angled my QS8's about 75 degrees and roughly 150 degrees toward the sofa. It really depends on your layout.

Have fun!

Posted By: JohnK Re: QS8s - angled or flat - 07/28/04 11:29 PM
Jordan, for most surround material we don't want the surround sound to come too directly at us. An exception would be playing a DVD-A/SACD with a performer specifically placed in a surround channel. You might experiment a bit, but in general placing them flat, rather than angling them toward you should give a more spacious ambient sound effect.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: QS8s - angled or flat - 07/29/04 12:00 AM
Frankly, the nice part aout the QS8s is the way they envelope you with sound. With direct speakers, you may find adjustment and positioning to be more critical. The Qs are extremely forgiving and you may not find much difference in the sound based on positioning.
Posted By: jordanz Re: QS8s - angled or flat - 07/29/04 12:26 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone!
Posted By: jordanz Re: QS8s - angled or flat - 07/29/04 07:33 PM
FYI - I played around with this last night. Setting the QS8s at 90 degrees doesn't work for me. The room that they are in is odd:

| TV |
| |
| |
| |
| |
|QS8 QS8|
| |
| |

[]

What was happening was that the right QS8 would reflect off of the left wall and it would sound as if the right channel was coming out of both QS8s. The left channel (having no opposing wall) sounded fine. When I angle them downward, this is mitigated somewhat. However, it's still a problem. Does anyone have any ideas?
Posted By: Ajax Re: QS8s - angled or flat - 07/29/04 09:15 PM
Some sort of sound absorbing material on the wall where the reflections are coming from? A tapestry? Or, browse through Auralex to see if you could find something suitable.
© Axiom Message Boards