Axiom Home Page
Posted By: moostic Advice on 6.1 speaker locations for room - 07/30/04 08:21 PM
Hi all,

I love this forum! Everyone has been very helpful and it is much appreciated. My last question dealt with trying to decide between the M60's and M22's. I haD decided on the M60's but since this will be 90% movies I am still considering the M22s to keep the budget down.

Anyway, I was hoping that some of you would take a look at this drawing of my room set up and give suggestions on placement. I am particularly interested in where to place the surrounds. I haven't decided between the QS8's or QS4's so feel free to chime in on that too. I realize that this is subjective but having opinions of others who have done this certainly helps. I'm sure I will play around with the positioning to suit my ears but I wanted to make sure I didn't make any major mistakes.

I think I would like to do 6.1. I'm still open to 5.1 but I'm afraid I will have the "what if" haunt me at night so buying one more speaker won't kill me.

If it matters, my receiver choices have been narrowed down to HK AVR430/630 or Denon 2805 but I'm not stuck on them.

I've also been reading the thread about using 2 M2's as the center. Interesting.

Thanks!

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Advice on 6.1 speaker locations for room - 07/30/04 08:41 PM
i am sure there are plenty of people that will disagree with me, but i think the 6.1 surround is over-rated. there are very few dvd tracks that even offer the true 6.1 soundtrack, so 98% of the time, it will just have 'simulated' surround. save the $$$ you would have spent on it, and go ahead and get the QS8's. then, move the placement of the QS8's to be a little behind the back of the sectional(or even with the back), and i bet you would never even miss the rear speaker.

if you do go with the 22's, make sure to get a sub that is big and powerful enough to fill the low end void.. that looks like a pretty good sized room(20x12 w/vaulted ceilings), so you dont wanna skimp there.. look into a good SVS or HSU sub. more bang for your buck there.

bigjohn
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Advice on 6.1 speaker locations for room - 07/30/04 10:13 PM
moostic - a caution borne of experience by numerous newcomers to Axiom speakers. I also had a 90/10 split with movies/music, but I wanted the HT audio to be excellent so I grabbed the M60s. After hooking everything up, my CDs came alive - it was like a whole new collection. Sounded so good, I was overwhelmed by the "gotta have more CD" twitch and started grabbing more of them to supplement what I had.

My mix is now 60/40 and we pretty much have music on when we are awake and not watching movies. The difference in the quality of the music was/is startling. I mention this not uncommon phenomenon so you can reconsider your choice. BTW, along with the additional CDs, I also got a big honkin' Denon DVM-4800 5 disc player (it does progressive scan DVDs as well) to facilitate the music. If the room is big enough (looks like it is) and you can squeeze out the extra $$ (don't forget the added expense for the M22 stands), think longer term. I believe you will be happier with the M60s. This is an evil, expensive hobby .
Posted By: mcad64 Re: Advice on 6.1 speaker locations for room - 07/31/04 12:23 AM
Ok, call me stupid...........hello stupid, but have you thought about 7.1? From your drawing I am not exactly sure where you have the sixth speaker? Seems to me with that rear wall like it is 2 speakers on the angled walls would be perfect for 7.1. Of course I may be wrong..and often am!!
Mike
Posted By: moostic Re: Advice on 6.1 speaker locations for room - 07/31/04 01:36 AM
Thanks for the replies.

The sixth speaker in the rear would somehow be hanging from the ceiling. I may put it all the way back against the wall. I thought about 7.1 but from what I have read there isn't much difference between 5.1 and 7.1. I thought about 6.1 for because of price but mainly to keep upgraditus away as long as possible.

bigjohn - So is simulated sound pretty lame? If so you make a good case for 5.1 especially for budget. Is there any word on 6.1 and 7.1 tracks being made for the future?

Ray3 - You are right. I was only thinking of M22s because of money but from what I have read on this forum I would be much happier with M60s. I will either wait on the sub or save awhile longer and spring for the 60s. Speaking of DVD players I have to say that I am enjoying my Zenith DVB318. Just this week my new and first RPTV came and it is great! (Panny PT53x54) The DVB318 upconverts dvds to 480p/720p or 1080i. It does a fantastic job too. So far the first 5 dvds that I have tried have looked like high def to me or very close. I was never a fan of RPTV's and swore I would never own one. I just thought I would let others know about this player. Anyway I will look into that Denon when my ratio changes from 90/10!:)

In reply to:

So is simulated sound pretty lame?

Speaking as a guy who has done 6.1, 7.1, and 9.1 and went back to good old 5.1, I would say yes it is. When and if you are lucky enough to get a DVD that is recorded in EX, it gets better but there are so few discs being done this way. I also don't think that will change anytime soon. Stick with what the engineers made the sound for, 5.1.

As for your room, I like it! One thing to note. If you can swing the Denon 3805 do it! I would also agree on the 60's vs the 22's......or do what I did and get the 50's.
Posted By: INANE Re: Advice on 6.1 speaker locations for room - 08/02/04 03:33 AM
7.1 is an extension on 6.1 because sometimes the single rear speaker causes an effect where the sound apears to come from the front. Basically 7.1 splits that single channel into two.

I have experienced 6.1 at my parents home, donno if it was anything special or not. I have a 7.1 capable AVR but currently am planning on just 5.1
Posted By: moostic Re: Advice on 6.1 speaker locations for room - 08/02/04 09:55 PM
Thanks all.

Based on the feedback it seems 5.1 is the way to go considering I want to save some $$$. Now as far as the receivers go, is there any advantage to choosing one because it has DLPIIx? Isn't this just simulating 7 channels? If I am only running 5 then all I would need is DLPII, right?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Advice on 6.1 speaker locations for room - 08/02/04 10:26 PM
In reply to:

If I am only running 5 then all I would need is DLPII, right

precisely.. dont get caught up in the trap of buying a receiver with features that you will never use..

with that said, if you EVER plan on upgrading to a 7.1 in the future(2 years, 5 years, 10 years), then you might want to consider the DLPIIx. if not, then i wouldnt even worry about it.

my receiver doesnt have the DLPIIx(i have the onkyo 701), and to be honest, i dont miss it. i have no plans at this time to go any bigger than my 5.1, and if i did, then i could still set up the receiver for a phantom 6.1 or simulated 7.1.

also, when getting a receiver, dont buy into the whole THX.. it is highly over-rated. thats just my opinion.

bigjohn
© Axiom Message Boards