Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ScottA Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 03:34 PM
Hello all,

I recently purchased a SACD/DVD-Audio player and will be hooking it up to a Denon AVR2805. What type of cable do I need? I have looked for Multi-channel cables and all of them are over $100 even Axiom and Bluejean. Do I need a specific cable for this connection or could I use three cheaper audio cables from someone like Acoustic Research. Is there any difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 03:42 PM
There's nothing special about SACD/DVD-A cables. They're simply audio interconnects, and you need six of them. You can grab three pair of any cheap cable and that'll do the trick.

Though how long do you need? I see that Blue Jeans 6 channel cables are about $78 for a three foot length. You hve to get up to 9' before they're $100. It only has to reach from your DVD player to your receiver, no?

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 03:52 PM
All of the cables you mention will work. Pacific cables are also mentioned often. Radio Shack cables are also adequate. I prefer Blue Jeans (I have everything hooked up with them). At the end of the day, it doesn't make alot of difference; they all work and you won't notice much difference. If you want to spen too much money for no good reason, you can also consider Monster Price. This kind of thread tends to erupt into an artillery shelling, so I'm putting my helmet on and hunkering down into my fox hole.
Posted By: ScottA Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 04:13 PM
Spiff,

I only have to go a couple feet. I noticed the BlueJean was cheaper than monster and Axiom's. I just thought if I could by 3 standard audio cables I could get by on much less. Dayton Audio has 3 ft cables for $10 apeice. I have heard good things about them. I just was not sure if there was a difference between the cables sold as multichannel bundles like the BlueJean or Axiom. I just could not figure out why a 3 ft. SACD/DVD-Audio cable cost $140 and I could by 3 regular audio cables for $10 each. Seems like a big difference just to have the convenience of one cable with six connectors at each end versus 3 cables with 2 connectors at each end.

Scott
Posted By: player8 Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 04:23 PM
Dayton cables should be fine. I use Radioshack Gold series ($11 for 3ft) not for better sound quality, but because their gold ended, heavier shielded, appear to be better built, and look pretty sexy in my opinion compared to cheap cables. The Dayton's look pretty nice and appear to be a good deal I'd go that route.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 04:24 PM
Scott,

Some of the cables with six connectors are merely three two cable sets in a flex jacket (they may have different colored connectors )...with heat shrink near the ends to keep the flex jacket from coming undone...If you like to keep your rack clean, use the flex jackets (or zip ties will work too)...buy the Dayton cables, lay them together and zip tie the group of cables that run from SACD player to receiver together as a packet...no need to pay for high dollar cables.

My .02,

WhatFurrer
Posted By: ScottA Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 04:30 PM
Thanks guys. You have confirmed what I thought.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 05:48 PM
My system has a mix of Dayton, Bluejeans (mostly video), and KnuKonceptz. I use the KnuKonceptz for my 6 channel audio and works great, no complaints.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 07:50 PM
Also check PartsExpress... great prices there... just ordered 1400 feet of cable from them (no, not for home!)

Bren R.
Posted By: ScottA Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 09/30/04 08:29 PM
I just ordered 3 6ft Dayton Audio cables from Parts Express. About 1/3 what the Monster SACD/DVD-Audio cable runs. Should get them in a few days.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 10/01/04 12:30 AM
Scott, these are simply analog signals traveling over about a 3' distance. Craig's correct and almost anything that looks like a wire with an RCA plug on each end works fine. Three 3' stereo cables for maybe $2-$3 each would be suitable.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 10/01/04 04:04 AM
In reply to:

Craig's correct and almost anything that looks like a wire with an RCA plug on each end works fine.

Not spaghetti - it ruins the spatialization and narrows the soundstage... and gets sauce all over.

Er... I'd assume... yeah...

Bren R.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 10/01/04 06:25 AM
Bren, as I described to Adrien in this thread , inspired by the heroic exploits of Mick Loney in search of truth in audio, I already tried that with some success, but judged that the sound quality was definitely "grainy". Possibly still more heroic are the exploits of Al Magnani in this area.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Help with SACD/DVD-Audio cables - 10/01/04 06:54 AM
Whoa, great minds think alike... think that was posted during my sabbatical (aka - gah, I'm tired of the same arguments).

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards