Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Joseki Need advice from Axiom m60 or m22 owners - 11/02/04 04:14 PM
Hello,

I currently have a 5.1 system based on 5 m22's. Now I am going to a 7.1 system and am in a bit of a quandary about how to proceed. Here are my options:

1: Buy two more m22's and be done with it. I get perfect voicing with no worries.

2: Buy a set of m60's for my R+L channels and move my current R+L m22's to rear surround duty. This means that my front speakers will be M60, M22 (center), M60.

I listen to a lot of 2-channel music and have been very happy with my m22's plus subwoofer. If I go with option 2, will there be a noticeable difference? This would have to be very very noticeable for me to spend the extra $400 over option 1. The other concern that I have is voicing across the front for movies. Do the m60's and m22's go together well?

Another option that I have is to get the m80's. I have three separate amps with one designated for the R+L channels. Will the impedance difference between the speakers affect the cohesiveness of the presentation for movie sound? What about the voicing?

Your advice and input are greatly appreciated!

David

While I didn't go from M22 to M60, I went from M2i to M60, and the M2s sound very similar to the M22s (with the exception of reduced total output and reduced bass). I couldn't be more happy with the M60s. They seem to be much clearer to my ears (probably because the midrange is ONLY doing a bandpass region now as opposed to trying to produce bass before, and they just project a bigger soundstage in my room. I strongly suggest trying out the M60s, and if you don't find them to be that impressive, ship them back and get the M22s and save the rest of the money.
Good luck.
Posted By: bray Re: Need advice from Axiom m60 or m22 owners - 11/02/04 04:39 PM
Joseki
Is there anyone in your area that you could go and audition their M60s?
Bray has good advice. Check this thread to see if anyone in your area is up for auditioning. Even if no one is close, you can always send Amie a private message and ask her to point you in the direction of someone in your area who might not be listed in the thread.
if you like M22ti, you'll most likely enjoy the M60 just as much if not better, If I were you I'd get the M60 for the front and use the rest of the M22s as surrounds.
Currently using M60's for fronts and M22's for surrounds...Sounds awesome...be it movies in DD or DTS or 5 channel audio...

WhatFurrer
I think you'll luv the m60's for music AND movies, they absolutely are awesome, not that the m22's are bad, I just look at the m60's as being the m22's big brother. Good Luck on whatever you decide....
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Need advice from Axiom m60 or m22 owners - 11/04/04 03:56 AM
I have both and would recomend that you go with the M60's as well. The fall back you have in just going with the 22's is that you are painting yourself into a corner of 22's. If it were me I would round out my system. The M60 will give you more bass and open up the room a little more.
© Axiom Message Boards