Axiom Home Page
Posted By: VegasVec The Newest Customer - 11/13/04 03:35 PM
As of this morning, I am Axiom's newest customer

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on these forums! I will be getting my speakers wednesday!!
Posted By: Wid Re: The Newest Customer - 11/13/04 03:38 PM
Congrats on your new speakers I'm sure you will love them.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 01:25 AM
Excellent - welcome to the fold. So what did you order?
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 03:34 AM
Well after the brouhaha you started over at the AVS forum (you troublemaker, you ), I'm delighted you opted for the Axioms. I hope you enjoy them as much as we enjoy ours. Just watched Master And Commander on HBO in DD 5.1 surround and was involuntarily ducking the fireworks. Whew!
Posted By: curtis Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 03:47 AM
Yeah...that thread still isn't quite dead yet.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 05:25 AM
That was quite a thread over at AVS. I tried to stay out of it as much as possible. I just get tired of people calling Axioms "bright" in a negative way and making it sound like everyone's ears will bleed if they use Axioms... Greatest point was about how everyone has a different preference in speakers, and everyone will like or dislike different speakers.

To each his own. I, on the one hand, can't wait to get my Axioms... (Dec 10th can't come soon enough for me....)

Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 05:59 AM
I saw that M&C was on HBO today, but it was almost 40 minutes into it already. I'm Tivoing tomorrow's showing to see what all the hype is about.
Posted By: radtek2 Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 07:23 AM
Hey, VegasVec, you are not going to believe these speakers! I got my M-80s, Vp150 and Qs-8s matched with a SVS sub in mid Sept. I power them with a NAD T773 AV receiver After getting them all set and mounted in the "just right place" I tuned them them with a Avia disc. They sounded fantastic from the get go, they sound even better after a couple months use. They are not in the least bright to my ears! Believe me you will love them!
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 12:29 PM
You haven't seen it yet? Well, it's just my opinion, but I don't think it's a GREAT movie, plot-wise. But, it's not a bad one either. However, it does have a GREAT soundtrack. That PB12 of yours is gonna be rockin' and rollin' during the battle scenes. And, enjoy the rounding of the Horn, but be sure to put on your slicker.

When you TIVO a movie, does it TIVO the 5.1 track?
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 12:56 PM
In reply to:

That was quite a thread over at AVS. I tried to stay out of it as much as possible. I just get tired of people calling Axioms "bright" in a negative way and making it sound like everyone's ears will bleed if they use Axioms... Greatest point was about how everyone has a different preference in speakers, and everyone will like or dislike different speakers.

I thought it was nice of Craigsub to so ably defend the Axioms. Actually he wasn't so much defending the Axioms as he was criticizing the denigrating any speaker that gets great reviews, and has a legion of satisfied owners, by presenting subjective opinion as objective fact.

I get tired of the "bright" label too. And I resent it being used, only because it has a negative connotation. If they want to call Axioms "forward," or "accurate," I have no objection.

I also don't object to anyone disliking the Axioms and saying so. But there's a HUGE difference between "I don't like Axioms," and "Axioms suck."

And yes. There were several posters who didn't care for Axioms and presented their opinions in a reasonable, courteous manner. I appreciated that.
Posted By: izub Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 04:05 PM
You're right! One of the great soundtracks you'll ever find. Also makes me wanna visit the Galapagos Islands tomorrow!
Posted By: curtis Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 04:15 PM
In reply to:

When you TIVO a movie, does it TIVO the 5.1 track?

Yes...DirecTiVo's do this if the movie was broadcast with the 5.1 track. Standalone TiVo's do not.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 06:40 PM
Cool! Thanks Curtis.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 06:54 PM
Yup. You DO have to change a setting to record in 5.1, if available. Mine was set not to by default.
Posted By: curtis Re: The Newest Customer - 11/14/04 11:41 PM
Yeah...you just have to that once though and then forget it.
Posted By: VegasVec Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 04:25 PM
Yeah, I didn't realize that I had stirred such a controversy. I was very close to buying the speakers, and was actually looking for negative feedback. But unfortunately, I couldn't find enough negative feedback to prevent my purchase.

I feel very confident, even after that messy AVS thread, that my purchase is the right one.

To answer an earlier post, I bought the M60's, QS8's and a 350 center. I am just looking at an SVS sub now. Any recommondations to go w/ my system, in a 28x17 room?
Posted By: Lexxen Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 05:15 PM
heh, good luck using the 350 as a center -- do you have an enormously large television on which you could place a sub?

just joking. I think you meant 150 :P

imagine having a 350 on your tv
Posted By: Foghorn Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 07:06 PM
"One of the great soundtracks you'll ever find."

Yes.

"Also makes me wanna visit the Galapagos Islands tomorrow!"

Do it. You won't regret it. Although it might be sacreligious to mention it here...one (actually two or more) can go there for less than the cost of a complete home theater system.
Posted By: izub Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 07:15 PM
Yeah I need to take your advice. I was in Peru,Bolivia and Chile a few years ago, and betweeen the altitude and the coca leaves, I believe I was getting 7.1 surround in my head.Gotta go back and see the north and the islands. It's tough because I need a new sub, (not to mention a tv) So as Jerry said "All good things in all good time"
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 07:19 PM
Why does this thread, and only this thread, create a prompt from MS to install .NET Passport? Anyone else have this happening to them?

Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 07:23 PM
Anybody have a new avatar?

This doesn't happen to me on Firefox on OS X, so it's probably an ActiveX thingie... If someone's hosting an image on an MSN server or something.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 07:35 PM
a-ha!

Radtek2's avatar is hosted here:

http://groups.msn.com/PicturesfromtheIversonBrood/idphotoforwebpage.msnw

Right now he's suspect #1.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 07:54 PM
That's the one. I put in that addy, and it brought up a sign in page. He probably just needs to make it public.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 08:01 PM
Yup. It's him. Luckily, I use Firefox and it ignores the images.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 08:05 PM
I'm using IE and don't get the message. Peter, you mean you can't see my beautiful avatar?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 08:08 PM
No, no. I see your avatar just fine. I do however, have the power to permanently nuke it from my screen whenever I want, though...

You must be one of the few individuals who use IE and actually set the preferences so you are LESS LIKELY to be pestered by "install this" and "install that" dialog boxes.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 09:00 PM
Well I do use a very effective pop up and script blocker.
Posted By: James_T Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 09:23 PM
I would still HIGHLY recommend Firefox. I've been using it since it was phoenix then firebird and have not looked back. I only use IE when the pages functionality is broken and I have no choice but to use IE. (that means the person who coded the page needs to brush up on their skills or find a new job IMHO).

jr
Posted By: dmn23 Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 09:44 PM
I'm with you. For years I had absolutely nothing positive to say about Netscape. They were pioneers in the browser market, then they pissed away their customer base with the neverending series of 4.X failures, all the while whining about how big bad Microsoft was running them into the ground.

I'm no fan of Microsoft, but the fact is that the Netscape 4.X browsers were garbage. Flaky at best, with absolutely zero support for CSS standards, and it seemed like every bit of functionality was just some knee-jerk reaction to whatever MS was trying to establish at the time - usually the polar opposite, which resulted in a browser that was absolutely maddening for developers and designers.

And then came Netscape 6/Mozilla. Nice idea. They were on the right track, but they weren't quite there yet. More improvements with upgraded versions of Mozilla/Netscape 7. Finally, we get Phoenix/Thunderbird/Firefox. THAT'S MORE LIKE IT. Very nice...easy to use, very useful features, quick, stable, supports established standards (to a fault, actually), and tabbed browsing rules! My only complaint is that saving something as innocuous as a jpeg often results in the download manager launching, which is baffling to me since it should already be in the cache.

In any case, IE is gathering dust on my computer and is only used to test browser compatibility. Firefox gets my vote.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 10:29 PM
What is this mysterious "firefox" you speak of. I've always used IE and never really thought about anything else. Tried Netscape ages ago and didn't care for it.

Posted By: dmn23 Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 10:30 PM
Mozilla, Firefox, etc...
Posted By: spiffnme Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 10:35 PM
It's all free? How do they stay in business?

Posted By: James_T Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 10:36 PM
Firefox is getting a lot of press lately (check out google news). They just released version 1.0. It's quick and easy to download and install. I loved it when it was a zip file that you just opened and ran. Very cool. Still, as an executable it is very nice.

Tabbed browsing is the best thing since sliced bread. And that is only a slight exaggeration on my part. I absolutely love it. I really disliked having 6-8 windows opened on my machine. With Firefox (and the axiom forum) I do a search for new posts in the last 24 hours and open the last post from each thread in a window and go down the line. Booyah!
Once upon a time IE was a great browser (and free {sort of}). And I agree, netscape 4.x was pooonaplatter. Firefox is who I proselytize for now.

jr

Posted By: Ray3 Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 10:52 PM
Firefox resides on my iMac, my home PC and my PC at work. Nice improvement over IE (and more secure .
Posted By: curtis Re: The Newest Customer - 11/15/04 11:09 PM
I'm trying out MyIE right now.
© Axiom Message Boards