Axiom Home Page
Posted By: lomb7 Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/21/05 04:09 PM
Well I finally talked the wife into allowing me to get a new flat screen TV. I am thinking of going 42". Now, I have read on CNET that we should all wait a few years for the quality to catch up because of the issue with quality from a TV signal. My Budget is about $3K-5K. I have read some on the HD vs ED and most state that the cost differance does not justify the HD. So, I am turning to my trusted Axiom buddies to educate me on which way to go and what models you all love.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/21/05 04:19 PM
I don't believe Extended Definition TV's are capable of true HD. I believe they only do 480P. I would look at LCD, DLP, or Plasma. 42" Plasma HD's can be had for around $3,000 grand if you look around. My dad just bought a Sanyo from Walmart for 2,494 that was rolled back from 3,500, it is a very nice unit. "Buy a DELL dude" Just kidding, but they also have one for around 3,000 believe that is setup for true HD 720P or 1080i.

Personally, I would not look at ED especially if your going to eventually watch HD.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/21/05 05:38 PM
Yes, ED is only 480P...suitable for progressive scan DVDs if that's your forte but they're not capable of where hi-def resolution is generally considered as starting.

If you don't need to hang it on the wall, I think DLP is a better value at this point.
Posted By: Engine_Joe Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/21/05 06:11 PM
I swear I already wrote a response to this... but it's not here.

Anyway, you can get a good DLP 40"-46" for $2000 - $3500 from Toshiba or Samsung. Why bother with half-def? You'll certainly manage alright with your DVDs with EDTV, but not with any Hi def programming or the pending hi def home video formats (HD-DVD/Blu-Ray). Unless you plan on replacing the TV within 2 years or so...
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/21/05 06:45 PM
OK, gotta chime in here and add my 2 cents.

I have HD Tivo and watch it on my EDTV Panny plasma. Yes, my plasma is only capable of 480p. I connect the Tivo via DVI and my DVD via component. My standard viewing distance is about 8' or 9'. HD is STUNNING. Now would an HD plasma be better because I could watch 720p or even 1080p? I doubt it would be $1.2k more enjoyable, looking at Visual Apex prices.

I've seen some HD plasmas showing Discovery HD. Can I tell the difference between my EDTV showing HD and a true HD panel showing HD? A little, but $1.2K can be put to good use somewhere else in my house.

Will I miss having HD DVD or Blu Ray in the future? Probably not, because w/ my HD Tivo I can Tivo broadcast movies as well. (Plus the format war will take a while to complete.) And despite all the "chicken little" cries that HD Tivo is going away because of all the CES announcements, I can say that today I can record HD on my 550 GB Tivo and watch it at my leisure. I highly doubt I'll be obsolete for another few years. Besides, I still have my old SD D*Tivo in my bedroom, running strong.

DLPs and rear projections can be viable options. But my 42" display can be had for less than $1900 from very reliable online resources.
Posted By: haanhvu Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/21/05 10:31 PM
I have a 37" Panny EDTV and love it. DVDs look great, and HDTV looks even better. I know that HDTV looks betterer on HDTV, but I just don't want to shell out another $1,500 for that extra "er". My daily TV viewing is pretty much limited to 30 minutes of 10pm Seinfeld (SDTV) and occasional football, so.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/21/05 10:48 PM
Another thing to note. If your viewing habits include a lot SD viewing (since everything is not in HD...sadly), EDTV tends to show SD better than HDTV, though YMMV.
Posted By: izub Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/21/05 11:19 PM
Read the January newsletter Alan addresses all you need to know about HDTV. It may help. Also there are some new QS stands. Oh btw I was the featured question of the month. Such an honor!
Posted By: alan Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/22/05 09:35 PM
Hey izub,

So you spotted that, eh? It was a good question. I'm delighted you feel honored. I tried to find out your real initials through various data bank ploys but was unsuccessful. Besides, I was in a hurry! So I thought "I.Z." would suffice.

Thanks for the good question.

Regards,
Posted By: izub Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/25/05 11:13 AM
That is in fact my initials! Good guess!
Posted By: denver Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/26/05 02:34 PM
I've been very happy with my 42" Panasonic ED plasma. In stores, the HD and ED units didn't look that different when I backed up 10 feet or so. I mostly watch DVD's, sit about 12 feet back, and don't have HD cable, so the ED made sense for me for what I watch.

I'll second visualapex.com as a great online place to buy a plasma. Great personalized service (when I emailed them with some questions after I received my unit, I promptly got back two email replies and a phone call) and they have a stellar reputation for dealing with issues such as damage in transit.

I haven't really checked out the HD DLP units, but given their price I think that would be another option.
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Plasma HD or EDTV - 01/26/05 10:36 PM
Well, after reading A LOT on AVS forum I went ahead and picked up the LG Electronics MU42PM12X. Shipped, with a stand, I am out $2400. I thought that the price was too good to be true but after reading thoughts on two people that just picked the unit up, I went ahead. Nice unit. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
© Axiom Message Boards