Axiom Home Page
Posted By: barilkobart Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 01/26/05 09:26 PM
Came across a set of Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves.
Bought them right away for another room.
Nice sounding. Lots of bass for bookshelf speakers.
Not quite as neutral as my M60s.

When did Axiom produce these?

The battery on my camera is dead; will post photos another time.

The back has a maple leaf on it and says "Designed & Manufactured in Canada by Colquhoun Audio Laboratories Limited Dwight, Ontario P0A 1H0" (also in French).

The serial number is the the rear port.

The front says "Axiom Millennia"

Good find.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 01/26/05 09:29 PM
I did a search for AX 1.5 for all history and there are a number of older posts on these speakers. Below, is one paragraph form Ian, the founder of Axiom:

"The AX 1.5 had quite a few reviews in its day, but that day was prior to the internet. They won the Sound & Vision Critics Choice Award 3 years running. The M3 is the replacement for the AX 1.5 in our new line of products, both being 6 1/2" two-way designs. Though the design philosophy is the same for both models, the M3s have many improved characteristics about their performance.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer "
Posted By: Wid Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 01/26/05 09:36 PM

You can check them out here.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 01/26/05 09:52 PM
In reply to:

but that day was prior to the internet

WOW, if thats a true statement, those speakers could easily be 15 years old. i would say probably at a minimum they would have to be 7-10 years old. that says alot that they are still in working order.

i would love to see some pics of those speakers. please try and post some if possible.

wid- great find on the advertisement flyer. even the graphics on the flyer look very dated, so i am very curious as to just how old these speakers could possibly be.

bigjohn
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 01/27/05 02:02 PM
I bought a pair of AX3 models in 1990, and they have a square box to them. The models in the advertisment have the ASW cabintery, and would have been mfg'ered since 1990.

Amie/Alan/Ian - can you post a brochure from the original AX lineup? I have a copy somewhere ( a collectors item?) and thought the payout was great! It was silver, with the models line up in an anechoic chamber - if memory serves!

BTW I still own these speakers, and enjoy them regularly...when I can find the time!! LOL
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 01/27/05 02:03 PM
>>WOW, if thats a true statement, those speakers could easily be 15 years old.

Oh, come on now. Al Gore isn't old enough for that
Posted By: barilkobart Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 02/12/05 06:05 PM
Finally got around to taking some photos of these:

A little closer:

BarilkoBart

VP150
M60s
QS8s
...and now AX1.5s

Posted By: bigjohn Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 02/14/05 03:36 PM
hey, thanks for the pics..!!

other than the minor dings on the edges, they look in great shape. and you say they sound good, so looks like it all worked out.

i am sure those brysons have plenty of punch to make them work!

bigjohn
Posted By: barilkobart Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 02/14/05 04:01 PM
Yeah they will eventually be the back surrounds when the new room is completed.

In the meantime, the Brystons make a great speaker stand.
They really make my M60s sing.

Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 02/14/05 07:55 PM
I gues they won't need any breaking in, huh?

Nice grab.

I think that it is interesting to note the similarity in cabinet design even back then. I seem to remember everything being wider and square, not so narrow and angular to eliminate standing waves. Thanks for the pics.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Axiom AX 1.5 Bookshelves - 02/14/05 07:57 PM
Yes, like I mentioned previously in this thread, this was the second generation of cabinetry for the Axiom lineup. The first was square cabinets, then this model, and the third would be the current models.
© Axiom Message Boards