Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jquark Speaker Terminations? - 05/28/02 12:21 PM
I am just about to order some M22s and I was wondering if present owners have any preference as to connection type? I am debating between a bare wire connection and spade plugs to the binding posts. Anyone know the pros/cons of these two termination types? Any other one I should try?

Thanks
Posted By: Big_L Re: Speaker Terminations? - 05/28/02 02:38 PM
I use bare wire. First off it's cheaper. More importantly, anytime you use any kind of connectors, it's something else the signal from your source to your speaker has to deal with. Even though any interference from a connector is probably minimal, I like knowing I'm getting the "purest" signal I can. Besides, I think the only benefit of spades or plugs is if you switch out speakers or components often.
Just my $.02
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Speaker Terminations? - 05/28/02 05:11 PM
I agree with eveyrthing Big L has said. Bare wire them.
Posted By: b_man Re: Speaker Terminations? - 05/28/02 10:39 PM
I'm using banana plugs on my M22 speakers. I guess I couldn't give you a great reason why. I like them for ease of installation and they give a nice, secure feeling when plugged in. And it was nice and easy to disconnect everything the other day when I moved my equipment.

this thoughts only worth 1 cent.

b_man
Posted By: Randyman Re: Speaker Terminations? - 05/29/02 01:53 AM
I'll give you my 2 cents worth too.

I use bare wire - on both the receiver's binding posts AND on my M60s. And every so often (a year or so) I check the wire and if it looks to be a bit corroded (and copper eventually will) I just clip off the old, strip off another 2" or so of the insulation and re-connect!

Works great!

Randyman
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Speaker Terminations? - 05/29/02 02:56 AM
Same here, except I also give it a schpritz of ProGold.
Posted By: jquark Re: Speaker Terminations? - 05/30/02 05:05 AM
Pro Gold? I'm not fimiliar with that product. What is it suppossed to do and does it work?

Posted By: murphyman Re: Speaker Terminations? - 05/31/02 03:54 AM
I use banna plugs.I don't think there is any diffrence in sound quality between bare wire and gold plated plugs but I can pop the plugs off in a flash for pulling the speaker out to clean and pop them back on with no fuss.
© Axiom Message Boards