Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 04:15 PM
Seabear joked in another thread that he would only be able to fit a sub like the 600 in his room if he modified it for use as a coffee table, and it made me wonder…..

Has anyone manufactured something like this, or have I just posted another million dollar idea?? I mean, I know you can put a drink down on any box, but has anyone made a downfiring, bottom-connected, nicely finished big-ass sub that would really look like a table to most people? Hell, I'd cut hole in the center of a throw rug to sneak the wiring to it….!

Posted By: bray Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 04:26 PM
Yea, I would like to see something like that also.
Maybe a coffee table sub with double 12inch drivers.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 04:44 PM
You could use the sub to keep your drinks mixed!
Posted By: TNTguy Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 06:11 PM
In reply to:

You could use the sub to keep your drinks mixed!

Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 06:23 PM
I doubt the middle of a room would be a very good place to put a sub.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 06:35 PM
It's the best place to put it if it's the only place to put it due to wifely considerations.
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 06:49 PM
I sometimes forget that the WAF is so important to some people. Luckily mine likes big speakers and subwoofers too. If I were to stick a new EP600 next to the SVS in our living room she would have her CD's in hand ready to try it out and throw a party.
Posted By: thyname Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 06:53 PM
You are soooooo lucky!!!
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 06:57 PM
Is that a CD cover on your picture?
Posted By: thyname Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 07:07 PM
Yes, Sonata Arctica "Ecliptica", their first album
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 07:15 PM
Tada!

Posted By: bray Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 07:24 PM
You da man.
Posted By: barilkobart Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 08:35 PM
Here is something interesting:

http://diy.cowanaudio.com/ib.html

Posted By: bugbitten Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 09:14 PM
I AM inpressed!!!!!

I think the horizontal EP600 might have some possibilities with a nice glass top with rubber feet under the glass.

Maybe get Axiom to demo one like that in Sept.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 10:20 PM
The only problem with that is the EP600 is shaped like a wedge, so you'd need something to raise the glass higher on one side.
Posted By: oz350z Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 10:41 PM
Hey biggs! Does she have a sister?
oz
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 10:45 PM
Could it fire down? Or up?
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/14/05 11:09 PM
No she does not, but you can get one similar to her anywhere in Mexico. Hell I know a couple right now that are prime material that would do just fine. I gave up on American women the first time I came to Mexico, not that there arent some great ones, just not enough of them. If any Axiomites find themselves in Veracruz for some reason, let me know and I will give you the grand tour.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/15/05 12:43 AM
She'll just have to settle for the corner.
Posted By: shaned Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/15/05 02:50 AM
Wow!! Extreme, but very cool.

Shane D
Posted By: shag Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/15/05 01:44 PM
ok, maybe a subwoofer table could keep your drinks mixed. But what is going to keep them on the table? Anytime I get in the habit of putting things on top of my EP350, they up end on the floor when I start listening to anything. An EP600 like coffee table would have your drinks on the floor before the first song is over or 5 minutes into a movie, hehehe.

That Thunder Table is a good looking table to boot I must say. That would get plenty of WAF points for you married guys. I bet that would be a good seller. Or better yet, twin end tables, each with its own subwoofer on each side of your couch. Imagine a pair of subs surrounding you (say a pair of EP500s), thundering on each side of the couch. The bonus is you wouldn't have to run wires through the floor or anything since they would be closer to the wall in most cases (at least in my house they would be wired with the surrounds).
Posted By: SeanF Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/16/05 01:21 AM
Speaking of "where's the sub" how many remember this post from a few months back. Never mind the coffee table ...

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm#THE%20REAL%20TOTAL%20HORN

Sean
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/16/05 05:18 AM
That guy must have read the mapleshade catalog. It tells you all your electronics will sound better without the metal covers on them.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/19/05 06:08 PM
How about this solution to hiding a subwoofer?

Read the description and the Q&A section, too.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/19/05 06:13 PM
Here are the construction photos of the above-pictured Death Star Subwoofer
Posted By: BruceH Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/20/05 09:04 PM
In reply to:

I sometimes forget that the WAF is so important to some people. Luckily mine likes big speakers and subwoofers too. If I were to stick a new EP600 next to the SVS in our living room she would have her CD's in hand ready to try it out and throw a party.

He must be pulling our legs. No such woman exists...
My wife almost went orgasmic when I talked about the possibility of Monitor Audio's in-wall speakers where she would not see anything. When I mentioned the only thing visible would be the sub, she responded by saying "well maybe we don't need, that can you hide it somewhere?."
Ahhhrgg!
Posted By: BruceH Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/20/05 09:47 PM
Wow, I never thought I'd actually see one of these. Supposedly, the sphere is the perfect design for a subwoofer enclosure. Not the most space efficient however, but very stylish (IMO). However, it would NEVER pass the WAF. She'd think I had lost my mind. But if she can have her "I Love Lucy" paraphanalia, I can have my Star Wars .
I do, however, already have my Mirage subwoofer that is essentially a rectangle with piano gloss finish. I would need a glass top with Speaker Floats to allow it to be used as a coffee table, though.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/20/05 10:27 PM
Just disguise one as a disco ball and suspend it from the middle of the ceiling!
Posted By: bray Re: Play "where's the sub?" - 07/21/05 01:45 AM
Or a really nice globe in the corner.
© Axiom Message Boards