Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fhw Poorly mixed 5.1 soundtracks - 07/05/02 08:43 PM
Anybody else notice a problem with the way movie soundtracks are mixed? Even though the VP150 is more sensitive than the M40s I use as L/R mains, I find with most movies I have to crank the center channel level by +4 decibels to hear dialogue well. This has happened with both of the receivers I've owned.

Are studios purposely mixing the dialogue channel to be quiet? My mains are only a few inches further out into the room, so I don't see placement playing that much of a role.

What are your experiences?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Poorly mixed 5.1 soundtracks - 07/05/02 08:55 PM
That's interesting fhw.
I came across the same scenario as you although the opposite of your experience with my vp150.
My centre dialogue was originally too loud and i had to notch it down a couple of dB. But i haven't tried alot of movies yet, 2 to be exact since i got the vp150.

I'll let you know if any of my future movie rentals do the reverse. Variability in sound mixing between different movies certainly would explain things. I know for certain that some dvds come with DTS 5.1 coding while others don't.

I'll snap up some more dvds next week and see if i encounter your condition as well.

Posted By: b_man Re: Poorly mixed 5.1 soundtracks - 07/05/02 09:16 PM
I have problems with some DVD soundtracks with vocals that are much too quiet. I am using the VP50 center with M22 mains. It depends on the disk and the movie it seems. Most movies are okay, but it seems that dramas are more prone to this problem. I just watched Beautiful Mind last night and I had to crank up the volume just to hear anything. Compare that ot watching Saving Private Ryan today and I had to bump it down a few times it was so loud.

Placement hasn't been an issue for me. I really think it's the sound mixers.

b_man
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: Poorly mixed 5.1 soundtracks - 07/06/02 04:06 AM
yea it definitely is the sound mixers. i've had that same problem, mostly on older movies. the newer, the better. i guess the Avid system has been getting better all the time!

i sometimes put my center up +4,5 even 6 on some movies.
© Axiom Message Boards