Axiom Home Page
Posted By: danr PlacingQS4's in a corner - 07/11/02 02:24 AM
Looking at the driver arrangements of the QS4, I've been wondering if anyone has heard or tested a pair of QS4's (or QS8's or QS2's) placed IN a corner. Not one one of the walls but spanning the corner itself with one tweeter firing along one wall and one tweeter firing along the other wall. I would like to find out if their is any difference in dispersion between that and placing them on a side or back wall.
Posted By: Randyman Re: PlacingQS4's in a corner - 07/11/02 03:40 AM
danr

I have wondered the same thing - Back in May there was a pretty good topic and string on part of this subject - with several good answers from Alan. Go back to the "Technical Questions" board and look for a post from "kahlon" about "wall mounting issues on surrounds" toward the middle/end of May and see if that helps/answers your question.

Perhaps someone has experimented by setting up their QS series in the configuration you are asking about. I have not (as I don't have QS speakers (yet!)

At first thought - My guess is that it might work OK as the quadpolar design is much more forgiving of the boundry effects that would occur from corner placement. But again - the overall sound achieved is VERY room dependent!

Good Luck

Randyman
Posted By: alan Re: PlacingQS4's in a corner - 07/11/02 04:33 PM
Hi danr,

Randyman's suggestions are good (I'll have to go back to May to see what I said!) but overall, placing ANY speaker in a corner alters its sound, almost always in an unflattering manner, the exception being a subwoofer. That's because the three intersecting surfaces--two walls and a ceiling--form a type of corner horn, thereby horn-loading the radiated sound from the QS4s.

In the old days (1950s) when I was a kid, there was a type of speaker called a "folded horn", which was intended for corner placement--it used the aforementioned effect of a corner to strengthen and reinforce low-bass output, which was very effective. But power amps then were tiny, tube, and underpowered--the one I built for my dad was considered huge (25 watts mono). So if you wanted real-life volume levels, you used a speaker design to get the highest SPLs for the smallest number of watts input. (the midrange and tweeter of that folded horn I built were also horn-loaded).

Folded horns are still built, and have their fans, but for domestic high fidelity, the are, in my judgment, awful. Very colored, strictly low-fi by comparison to modern, well-designed speakers.

So my advice is, except for the bass reinforcment that corners offer for subwoofers, keep ALL speakers out of corners!

Regards,
Posted By: Marc_in_Ottawa Re: PlacingQS4's in a corner - 07/11/02 04:45 PM
Funny, I just tried that this morning in our shop for a client and there was a fairly dramatic horn effect when in the corner. Coloured the sound immensely. Had to move it six inches from the corner to minimize it.
I also found the sound to be very different when the speaker was on the wall as opposed to away from the wall. Sounded better on the wall.
© Axiom Message Boards