Axiom Home Page
Does anyone have experience with Definitive Technology Supercube I and/or Supercube Reference? They are the best subs I've auditioned, yet. They claim to go down to 13Hz (I) and 11Hz (Reference), though the Axiom website goes into greater detail on what the numbers on the EP500 really mean... My primary use will be movies. My top two concerns are "plumbing the depths" and I want a sub that really "kicks" so I can feel it without being extremely loud. The next best sub I've gotten to audition is the Energy S12.3, but it was not even close to what I am looking for. Any comments or experience would be appreciated.
Geno, welcome. I don't have personal experience with the EP500, but you should study the recent posts here by delighted 500 and 600 owners. As to the DefTechs, it's unclear under what conditions they measured and how far down in level it was at 13Hz, but that number should be taken with more than a grain of salt. Noted subwoofer authority Tom Nousaine tested the Supercube I as part of a system and reported these results and comments. Note that the maximum extension was 25Hz at only 78dB and wouldn't appear to meet the requirement for "plumbing the depths".
Don't have the DefTech but do have the 500. 99% movies. With 500 set at 1/4 power, the effects in LOTR ROTK could be felt rumbling the entire house with the system volume at -20. Couldn't be happier. Order one on in home trial. It's the best way to test any speaker or sub.

Having had the Def Techs on an in home trial, they are not in the same league as the 500 - though they are decent.

And the energy is totally out classed, again, it is a nice subwoofer, but the EP-500 is absolutely killer.

Oh - And we have one here now.
I auditioned the DefTech SuperCube Reference at a dealer using source material that had sustained fundamentals (from pipe organ foot pedals) ranging from 32Hz to 16Hz. 32 Hz was extremely powerful, but by 16Hz, I would say that the power had pretty much fizzled out. I would personally call shenanigans on their claim of 11Hz extension. There may be measureable output at that frequency, but not at any useful SPL.
I have had the ep600 for about a month now and I think I finally have the proper placement/settings (for now anyway). Watched LOTR Fellowship last night to check for LFE and the results were, well, moving. So much in fact that it activated the motion sensitive Denon 4806 remote. I've not regretted my purchase...
© Axiom Message Boards