Axiom Home Page
Hi Guys,

Now I have an idea what you Axiom sub boys have been talking about. No calibartion yet. Just set speakers to small, my yamaha Receiver can only crossover at 90Hz, so I left the sub at 100 Hz cross.. Set gain at about 6-7 o'clock range. Put in Matrix DVD. The bass was thumping my 6,000 cu ft room!! The fish tanks went into resonance, needed to be relocated to another area of the house. It dominates my mains which is not easy to do...I got some tweaking to do.

The wife returns home from the food store...She comes in the front door from food shopping...She says "what is that sound". I tolde her that's called bass baby! From that "cute little speaker"...

I have ? for you guys:

Is there a big difference between the DTS audio track and Dolby Dig track bass-wise? I was thinking of upgrading to a DTS Pre/pro, my old high quality Yamaha Receiver has DD only..If the DTS is only 5% better not worth it to me, if its 20% better, I will do it....

Thanks Vince
You might want to try that 90hz setting on the receiver and put the EP500 in bypass mode. Also, for that big of a room, make sure your using the flat setting also on the back of the sub. Do you have an SPL Radio Shack meter? Once you run pink noise and set everything to around 75dB's things will really improve.

Last night we watched Finding Nemo, the Darla Tap scene on the aquarium was unbelievable in my 7650+ cubic feet room.
Sirquack,

I need to get a sound meter soon...You mean set Mains + Rear surrounds to 75 dB, 0 db gain on reciever for sub. Keep upping the sub gain setting til 75 dB output is reached? I will put sub on bypass...

Thanks for the quick post,
Vince
New recievers have a truckload of new decoding technology to enhance even Dolby encoding. DTS has a little higher quality sound, but decoding it with dolby shouldn't give you any adverse effects. If you have the money you could upgrade.
I'd also play around with the crossover setting. Try settings between 40hz and 80hz. 90hz seems high to me.

© Axiom Message Boards