Axiom Home Page
Posted By: warfer21 Jazz/Funk - 01/22/06 12:12 AM
Could anyone here recommend bands/cd's that are of the funky-jazz genre? I'm talking about rippin'/lively guitars, funky/juiced-up bass, and drums that would give the average man an epileptic fit. Maybe even some whacked out brass.....
I'm talkin' some "REALLY BUSY" tracks

Please and Thank-you
Posted By: duckman Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/22/06 02:30 AM
Craig Chaquico- Midnight noon. Don't know that I would call it busy,but it doesn't just lay there either. Lots of guitar,some keyboards. Availabe in cd or sacd. Accoustic highway is also very strong if you like accoustic guitar.

Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/22/06 04:59 AM
might be a little to close to the neo soul side but I really like Jazzyfatnastees.
Posted By: komori8c Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/22/06 02:16 PM
Jeff Beck has several records that I would
consider to be fusion.
I think Wired or Blow by Blow in
that order are very good.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/22/06 02:49 PM
Don't know if it would be what you're looking for, but you might consider Fourplay's Between The Sheets, or The Big Phat Band's Swingin' For The Fences. You can listen to some samples at the links.
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/22/06 07:49 PM
Thanks Jack, those were good but not quite what I was looking for. Every once and a while I catch a song on Sirius "planet jazz". Sort of progressive, maybe acid jazz? I'm not sure what I would call it, but it sure is enjoyable to listen to. Quite fast with many time changes and each musician taking a turn at leading. I wish I had an example to give.
The musicians are basically, just jamming. I guess I'll have to be ready (write down the name) next time I hear something like it on sirius.

Kamori8c yes thats getting closer but not quite, I have blow by blow
but not wired I'll check that one out.

Thanks duckman a search of Craig Chaquico brought me to higher octave.com
Could be something there, mostly seems of a smoother type jazz though.
oldskoolboarder, I checked out their site but could not find anything to sample other than the background music.

thanks for the input, maybe there are other ideas?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/22/06 07:57 PM
You're welcome, Warren. Sorry they weren't what you had in mind.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/22/06 08:31 PM
I'll have to recommend anything Maceo Parker.
He's the God of funk, just check his bio. IMHO he's the most underrated sax player there is. He has an unbelievable sound and an out of this world groove ...good stuff indeed.

Life on Planet Groove [LIVE]
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000046OI/qid=1137960719/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-6819566-2122335?n=5174"/>

Mo' Roots
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000046K3/ref=pd_sim_m_2/104-6819566-2122335?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174" />

Posted By: Babalu Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/23/06 02:50 AM
Personally I think Herbie Hancock's Headhunter's is probably one of the most wonderful and influential funk / jazz fusion albums of all time. His lesser known follow up Thrust may even be better IMO
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/23/06 03:35 AM
Tribal Tech
Jeff Beck's newer stuff: You had it coming, Jeff, Who else? (in that order).
Skatalites "Ball of Fire" (I'll bet you'd like that one).
Local stuff influenced by punk, rap, reggae and surf music: Long Beach Dub All Stars, Bredrin Daddies, Kottonmouth Kings, Slightly Stoopid.

Maybe too mellow, but how about Norman Brown, Jeff Golub, and Chet Atkins (don't laugh, he rocks).
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/23/06 07:04 PM
If you're looking more towards Acid, I'd recommend:

1) Stuff by the group Incognito. Lots of brass and great vocals (Maysa Lea), IMHO.

2) This is hard to find but fantastic:
Home Cookin'

3) Greyboy Allstars

4) Nuyorican Soul

5) Giant Steps Vol 1

Amazon has most of these so you can get a listen.
Posted By: BruceH Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/24/06 08:19 PM
I'd reccomend looking for albums with musicians such as:

Victor Wooten
Alain Caron
Adam Nitti
Marcus Miller
Tom Kennedy
Dave Weckl
Omar Hakim
David Sanbourn
some of George Howard's stuff

Posted By: warfer21 Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/25/06 02:02 AM
Thanks for the advice guys!
Bruce I searched those names and checked out their samples on their web sites. Thanks alot you just introduced a whole new genre of music for me to enjoy. Some really incredible stuff there. It'll take a few weeks to decide but I will definitly be making some purchases.

Searching Omar Hakim brought me to a very interesting site;
www.guitar9.com
found a gem here deric rush "wood and steel"

I'll be checking this site for awhile. Also I was very impressed with Dave Weckl, and Marcus Miller

Posted By: BruceH Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/25/06 05:57 PM
You're absolutely welcome. These guys are real inspirations to me. Wish I could play bass like those guys but, alas, I can only spend a very limited time on my hobby.

I forgot to mention checking out Chick Corea's electric band (plays with Dave Weckl, John Patitucci, Eric Marienthal depending on the album - all amazing musicians)

I have a Chick Corea CD in my car's changer and can't seem to get myself to ever pull it out to listen to much else .

Another band I was impressed with was Bob Mintzer's Band (post Yellowjackets I believe), though the tune I litened to had him playing a (I think) Yamaha WX-7 synth sax. Don't know who the bass player was but very hot playing.
Posted By: BruceH Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/25/06 06:21 PM
In reply to:

found a gem here deric rush "wood and steel"

Wow, sounds to me a lot like Joe Satriani.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/25/06 06:27 PM
Warren:
I used to be into Billy Cobham quite a bit. Excellent drummer surrounded by funky sidemen!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/25/06 09:48 PM
Hmmm...how about the band, Galactic? I'd consider them a good jazz/funk band. Medeski Martin & Wood as well, but no guitars.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/25/06 10:17 PM
I was about to suggest Billy Cobham after seeing the turn they were taking.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/25/06 11:16 PM
>>I forgot to mention checking out Chick Corea's electric band

Some of his older albums, especially the "Return to Forever" lineup with Stanley Clark and Al DiMeola, are extremely busy and extremely good.
Posted By: coltrane Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/26/06 06:51 PM
Not exactly my specialty, but when you speak of "epileptic fit" Ornette Coleman comes to mind. His classic albums are "Change of the Century" and "The Shape of Jazz to Come" but these are mostly sax albums with other instruments in the background. Jaco Pastorius lays down some wild and fast bass on his solo albums and with the band Weather Report. Someone already mentioned great albums by Herbie Hancock. Miles Davis has "Bitches Brew" and "Tribute to Jack Johnson" among others but I think you're looking for spicier salsa. There's also a guy by the name of John Coltrane - I hear he's pretty good.
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/31/06 04:10 AM
Thanks for the advice but I think I'm into country now

http://www.guitar9.com/johnnyhiland.html

Posted By: warfer21 Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/31/06 04:28 AM
YES !!

Billy Cobham

Posted By: warfer21 Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/31/06 04:36 AM
Has anyone seen this, and can recommend it or not?

Chick Corea's dvd

looks pretty good even has dts
Posted By: bridgman Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/31/06 05:05 AM
I have not heard it but the reviews seem to be pretty good. I have put it at the top of my "buy it next time I have money in the toy budget" list.
Posted By: coltrane Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/31/06 02:09 PM
Thanks for the advice but I think I'm into country now

Talk about going full circle! Good luck my friend, you've ventured well outside my knowledge set.

What I can tell you is what happens when you play a country song backwards....the singer gets back his truck, wife, job and sobriety.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/31/06 02:54 PM
Well, that's good ol' country. What happens now is the singer a) falls out of love, b) falls in love, or c) it sounds exactly like a pop song played backwards.
Posted By: BruceH Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/31/06 07:54 PM
I can honestly say that I have never heard anything I didn't like from Chick's band. The musicianship is just too good.

I too am adding it to the list of things I "need" to buy. Once my home theater room is complete I want to be enveloped by this stuff .
Posted By: oz350z Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/31/06 08:50 PM
Well then that sould be a short leap to country swing. Try Lyle Lovette's Large Band, some of Shelby Lynn's country swing and of course Michelle Shocked Captian Swing. K.D. Lang sometimes ventures into this area as well. Though I must say I liked your original direction better.
happy listening,
oz
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Jazz/Funk - 01/31/06 10:58 PM
WHOA.... Hang on! I was just kidding about country.... but if you click this link and try the samples (which they refer to as country) you'd see my point.

If that's country I like it. No offence to country lovers, but the stuff I'm finding from all of the advice BLOWS country away.

not-so-country
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Jazz/Funk - 02/01/06 06:36 PM
A jazz/funk thread with no mention of Kool & The Gang? What is this world coming to?

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Jazz/Funk - 02/01/06 06:42 PM
...or George Clinton?

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Jazz/Funk - 02/01/06 10:26 PM
Well, he did say jazzy-funky, not funky-funky!
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Jazz/Funk - 02/20/06 10:59 PM
Well thanks to the advice from this thread I bought
Billy Cobham "spectrum"
Bozzio,Levin,Stevens "situation dangerous"
Dean Brown "here"

Billy Cobham is definitely "the man" that album gets a 9/10

Situation dangerous is a very good album that grows more on me every time I hear it another 9/10 ( couple of flamenco numbers here that I really enjoyed)

I'm listening to Dean brown's "here" right now and it is also pretty damn good. 7.5/10 after first listen.

without a doubt I will be adding more Cobham to my Fusion collection probably even some Mahavishnu Orchestra

there is another Bozzio, Levin, Stevens album that I will get. Steve Stevens also does a Flamenco cd which I will probably get.

I still like my heavy stuff(sabbath, maiden et al), but these cd's are in a league of their own.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and introducing me to some new old stuff I'm a fusion-fan now!
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Jazz/Funk - 02/21/06 02:01 AM
Wooh-Hoo! I was the one that suggested Billy Cobham! What do I win?

For Mahavishnu, check out the Inner Mounting Flame...one of my favorites from "back in the day" and one that I very recently decided to get on CD!
Posted By: warfer21 Re: Jazz/Funk - 02/22/06 02:50 AM
"check out the Inner Mounting Flame"

It's already on order
Posted By: duckman Re: Jazz/Funk - 10/07/06 03:56 AM
Quote:

Could anyone here recommend bands/cd's that are of the funky-jazz genre? I'm talking about rippin'/lively guitars, funky/juiced-up bass, and drums that would give the average man an epileptic fit. Maybe even some whacked out brass.....
<br>I'm talkin' some "REALLY BUSY" tracks
<br>
<br>Please and Thank-you

OK- I found some "wacked out" brass you might like, only took 9 months. Actually, I remembered this thread when I heard the cd. The band is called 3rd Force, the cd Driving force. The track which jarred my memory is track 8- gotta gotta. I was turned on to it by an amazon recomendation, of all things.
Posted By: osvijazz Re: Jazz/Funk - 10/09/06 06:59 PM
Check out John Scofield, I like Blue Matter a lot and his recordings with Medeski Wood & Martin. Tribal Tech's is awesome especially the cd called Tribal Tech. Try also Robben Ford, Scott Henderson and Mike Stern, they all play funky fusion bluesy stuff. You may also like Tower Of Power, that's funky funk...ja,ja,ja. Why don't also try Aquarium Rescue Unit and Gary Willis.

osvaldo
Posted By: mullhead Re: Jazz/Funk - 10/10/06 06:42 PM
not sure what is on cd but try:

Brand X, Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Allan Holdsworth, Gong, Dixie Dregs, Frank Zappa?...this is all 70's / 80's ish fusion, so probably not busy enough...but worth checking out

might not ge
Posted By: mullhead Re: Jazz/Funk - 10/10/06 06:49 PM
one more...this is more metal rock, but there are a ton of genres incorporated into this disc...and for the most part is sophisticated in your face busy...Vernon Reid and Doug Wimbish are monsters:

Stain - Living Colour
Posted By: osvijazz Re: Jazz/Funk - 10/11/06 02:36 AM
This guy is a funk-fusion monster, just listen to the music in his site. Enjoy!
http://www.dennischambers.com/
Posted By: mullhead Re: Jazz/Funk - 10/11/06 02:09 PM
yeah, one of the drummers i used to play with went to one of his clinics and said he was totally great. thanks for reminding me about him. there are so many great musicians and music out there. i grew up listening (and still do) to gabriel, yes, crimson, elp, gentle giant, etc...wish the video and live recording technology had been around back when those bands were in their prime...

anyway, thanks again!

tom
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Jazz/Funk - 10/12/06 03:16 PM
I would recommend John Mayer Trio's "Try" as a great live show with some rock/funk tracks. The show includes Pino Palladino on bass and drummer Steve Jordan, well known players on the blues/jazz circuit. Oh yeah, John Mayer really wails on this as well...nothing like his previous solo albums.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Jazz/Funk - 10/12/06 05:55 PM
Nacho,
If you get a chance to see John Mayer live, he really rocks! Totally different than his studio work.
© Axiom Message Boards