Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 12:47 AM
I've been reading alot of threads with members trying to decide what amp to buy. Being new at all this I have a few questions that mabey some of you more knowledgeable folks can help me with, What are the benefits of using an amp? Do I need an amp? And are there good amps that won't break the bank?
Posted By: RickF Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 12:53 AM
HomeDad, hopefully this article by Axiom's own Alan Lofft will be of some help to you. I personally like the use of separates.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 01:04 AM
Thanks Rick, after spending hours of time on the internet and not finding any real answers, thats the first article that I've read that made it easy for a noob to understand.
Posted By: RickF Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 01:09 AM
Micheal, glad it helped. Alan has a ton a very useful information and articles floating around the internet...we're very lucky he's a part of the Axiom team and available and willing to answer our range of questions.
Posted By: JohnK Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 04:03 AM
Michael, of course you aleady have amps in your 3805, and it's highly likely that they can provide more power than you need. Keep in mind that your M60s use about 1 watt for a comfortably loud average listening level at your listening position. Even momentary peaks aren't likely to require more than about 100 watts, which your 3805 handles with ease. Relax.
Posted By: Wid Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 04:35 AM
As I do on the occasion when JohnK says not to buy an amp, I say don't discount what a high powered external amp can do for your system. The receiver will do you fine as long as you stay within the limits of what it is intended for. If by chance you like to really crank the music up from time to time then I suggest the amp route should at least be explored. A set of M80s would do ya good too
Posted By: dakkon Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 06:40 AM
I would say at this point in the game, the best reason for someone giving you to get a separate amp, would be for future upgrades.. if you buy a quality amp right now, when newer technology comes along, like HDMI, or what ever comes out after that, you can upgrade the processor part only, and then you will be spending money on the part that you need.. keeping the amp that you already bought.. that is the best way that I can see, I have an amp and processor, and I have upgraded the processor.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 06:51 AM
Thanks guys, Although I'm still on the fence on this one. I know if I buy an amp then I'll be thinking I need the M80's. And of course it wont stop after that. So I think I'll relax, enjoy the music for awhile, give myself some time to determine what my system really needs, if anything. This whole HT thing is just to fun and addictive
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 05:49 PM
I'd definitely agree with most of the opinions here. Now HomeDad has, what SHOULD BE, way more than enough amp. I can't imagine needing more than that unless you have a massive room or like the volume at insane levels.

The real advantage i see is what Dakkon suggested - that in a year or two when you want the newest, latest processing technology, you can upgrade just the receiver. That should allow you to go with a lower-end model receiver with a smaller internal amp(s) and save some coin.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 06:13 PM
In reply to:

So I think I'll relax, enjoy the music for awhile

I agree with this to the end of the 30-day period. If you order 80s, Axiom will send them to you with labels to return the 60s. The difference in money is well spent, IMHO. If you get them and don't like them, pay the small freight charge and send them back.

In a perfect world, I would have Axioms in every room. But that's not the case. My Axioms are in the great room on the first floor. When I am in the kitchen or study (both open to the great room), I like to have my music playing. When I am home alone I can crank the 80's and go from room to room and enjoy. It's too loud in the great room but fine elsewhere.

If you do this with your 60s and are satisfied, then they are keepers.

Now I also think the 80s sound better at low volume as well!

I made my start to separates by buying Outlaw monoblocks for the L/C/R. Some do not like them, but they work for me with my 3805. Did I have to get them or the 80s? No. It is just a move in the direction I want to go.

Posted By: thyname Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/25/06 09:18 PM
I belong to the group of the people that think that separates do make a difference, at least for music listening, not sure for HT. I myself switched from a Rotel receiver to Rotel separates, and experienced a noticable improvement of my 2 channel system sound, same speakers, same room. Opinions of other people may vary.
Posted By: ratpack Re: To amp or not to amp - 01/26/06 02:44 AM
bob: that is a good overview by Alan, but, it just does not get into selection criteria. Those criteria are what I am currently looking for.

You can design an amplifier many ways. Some are electronically better than others, some are more expensive than others, and, some are more reliable than others. I don't see much of this "second level" information posted anywhere.
© Axiom Message Boards