Axiom Home Page
I have had the EP500 for over a month now. The bass has been great...I have been turning it off after each use. Last time I forgot to power it off in the back it stayed on with no input for about 24 hours..I reached over in the back to touch the metal amp plate...WOW it is pretty dam hot..like 150 F just a hair under burining the finger...

Are your EP500's running that hot with no input? I cannot imagine leaving it on all the time this hot???

Thanks Vince
It should definitely not be running that hot. I'd call Axiom as soon as you can to troubleshoot.
I did not measure with a temp probe, but its pretty hot...is your sub metal plate room temp with no input after 24 hrs?

I'll call Axiom tomorrow...
Thanks Vince
That's a problem, I've had my ep500 for a month, it's never been off and it's barely warm. The manual says to leave it on unless leaving for an extended period of time.
You should not have to turn your sub off each time your done with it, I leave mine on all the time. Everthing if hooked to a tripplite HTPowerBar10 Surge/Conditioner. I don't recall my amp plate ever getting hot, I'll have to check it out the next time I go downstairs...
Something's not right. Callum Axiom. They fixum right up.
Axiom Customer Service left me a voicemail..that its normal leave it on all the time per manual....I guess I will call them back based on what you guys have stated here............

Thanks Vince
Vince, I would certainly call them back, leaving the sub on is normal, but for it to get that hot is not.
I called Axiom back...they agreed that is way too hot..... they are putting me in touch with the EP500 lead design engineer in the next hour or so...They said we will make things right!!

That's Customer Service!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll keep you posted...........
Thanks for the help,
Vince
Guys,

Axiom is mailing me a new upgraded amp assembly tomorrow. I will perform a 1 for 1 swap out.....ship them back the toaster amp.

Hopefully this solves the heat issue.....

That's top notch service........
Vince
That's great, no doubt about the customer service.
Well, I am late to post in this topic, as you are getting your new amp, but just for the stats, I have my EP500 always on, and can pass days like that with and without input, and it never gets hot.

cheers
Me too! Never turn it off. Prefer music thumping the building.

Glad Axiom CS is on the ball.
Welp...that's great to hear! I decided to try testing my Def Tech PF15 with the Real Trap free sub test cd...wanted to quickly ear test output in the 10-40 hz area. Dam...was I disappointed. Almost no output to till about 38 hz..then BOOM! till 60-65 hz... then a little softer. I no happy. I ran it softly on my computer speakers (original Advents) and the M80, both had more output than the sub at 20 - 30 hz? Whatever.. curiosity is killing me. After reading about the great service again.. I just ordered the EP500 to fill in my axiom lineup. Have to hear for myself. Considered SVS but I just don't think the CS at Axiom can be beat.

I don't think you can go wrong with your choice, the ep500 rocks. Will look forward to your review.
Congrats on the 500, think you will be more than pleased with it.

I knew you would be replacing the Def Tech, it was just a matter of when. Congrats.
You'll be a happy camper with the 500.

Congrats!
Welcome to the Axiom Family. I'm sure that you will be happy with the EP500.

It arrives tomorrow! I have the urge to pace constantly...

I read a post stating that I won't really be able to use the Realtraps test cd to compare, because of the nature of the digital amp and some sort of incompatibilty with pure sine wave test tones? If that's the case, I'll just rely on source material, which is the true test anyway.

That seems to be the case. I haven't heard any reports about issues with pink noise, so that might work better. Presumably you would need "two octaves of LF pink noise" vs. "two octaves of HF pink noise" for the SPLs to work out properly, and presumably disks like Avia include that kind of content for balancing sub with mains, but I don't know that for a fact.

I do know that the Avia disk seems to work OK for balancing sub with mains, ie I am happy with the resulting levels.
My replacement EP500 amp arrived yesterday. Axiom created a wooden coffin for the amp to almost guarantee no damage during shipping. I tested it out with War of the Worlds....The Bass is back!!!!!!!!!!!! I will leave it powered on like most of you do. I'll check how warm it gets after 24 hours.........

Top Notch service............

Vince
Vince, Great news, I'm betting when you check it later it will hardly feel warm.
I have 2 500s and I would say they do get warm on the back metal plate. Since I have 2 that behave the same I believe this is normal. They are not hot enough that you would burn yourself, but fairly warm.
24 hrs later, the amp is little above room temp!!!

Problem solved........

Thanks for the help guys...........
Vince
© Axiom Message Boards