Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jazZed M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/12/06 11:34 PM

Greetings All!

I've finally pulled off my Grado SR80s and am ready to update my 20+ year old HK395i/Boston Acoustics A60s combo.
After briefly considering the Magneplanar MMGs, I've decided to give Axiom M60 speakers a whirl. I have an extensive jazz CD collection (Mosaic, Blue Note RVG and Connoisseurs) and am ready to fill the room - not just my head.

I've read a few of the HK 3480 search hit threads (the 3480 being quite easy for me to get a hold of) - but came up dry on my NAD choices.
I'd sure appreciate any opinions on these 3 receivers as a compliment to the M60s:
HK 3480
NAD C720BEE
NAD T743

I just don't want to hobble the M60's sound with a too modest receiver/amp.

In a perfect world I'd go out and audition for myself, but I'm way out in the Desert Wasteland...

Posted By: Wid Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/13/06 01:50 AM

I would say the best price vs perfomace receiver you have listed is the H/K. A buddy of mine has this same receiver with a set of Def Tech speakers. It is a good looking receiver with plenty of power to match up with the M60s.

Of course for a 2 channel system if at all possable I would look into the M80s. The H/K would handle them very nice too.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/13/06 01:54 AM
I agree, I would save money with the HK and upgrade to the M80's.
Posted By: jazZed Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/13/06 10:51 PM
OK the HK it is.

So, it probably makes sense - after all it's been 20 years - to just pop the extra couple of bills for the M80s - tough to look back if you go top of the line - especially if the HK can drive them.

One of the things that was pushing me toward the M60s over the M80s was the repeated talk of 'finicky placement' in order to realize the full potential of the bass vs the M60s just 'drop and play'. You guys care to chime in on that?

off to shop banana plugs...;-)

Thanks!
Posted By: Wid Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/13/06 11:02 PM
The M80s or the M60s are not a "drop in play" speaker. As a matter of fact I don't think any tower speaker will sound it's best if you don't set them up right for your room, that most likely will warrant some playing with placement.

The H/K will handle the M80s just fine

Posted By: michael_d Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/14/06 03:06 PM
M80's are deeper and take up more room, but they aren't all that difficult to place. Biggest placement consideration I ever noticed was to tow them in - huge dif......
Posted By: jazZed Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/14/06 07:52 PM
Thanks All! Ordered the M80s. Am jazzed, indeed.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/14/06 08:08 PM
Great choice, I think you will love them. Make sure you post your thoughts when they arrive.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/14/06 08:09 PM
Congrats on the order. You'll be pleased!
Posted By: Wid Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/15/06 01:16 AM

Make sure to report back with your impressions. That's going to be a nice system, congrats.
Posted By: jazZed Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/23/06 07:58 PM
M80v2 - First Impressions

5+ days of moderate volume burn-in. Speakers along a flat wall (no corners) ~ 6" out from wall - 9 feet apart. ~10-15 degrees toe-in each. Seated at apex of equilateral triangle ~ 9 feet from front of the speakers.

Audition discs:
Pink Floyd - DSPTM (SACD)
Roxy Music - Avalon (Remaster)
Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil (RVG Edition)
Brian Eno Another Green World (Remaster)
California Guitar Trio - Yamanashi Blues

Cannot believe how incredibly sweet the sound is. I personally have never heard anything like it in a residential setting. Far exceeds my expectations. A bargain at $1300!
Top notch customer service and FAST shipping to boot! Big thanks to all for twisting my arm into ordering the M80s vs the M60s. No lookin' back! ;-) Life is good!

Posted By: Spoiler Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/23/06 09:31 PM
All I can say is... I knew it! Enjoy my friend... I recently upgraded my 20 yr old speakers as well and had the same reaction. Glad I did it.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/23/06 09:46 PM
Sounds sweet to my ears. Glad you joined the 80s club.
Posted By: Wid Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/23/06 10:27 PM
Very good news indeed, I'm glad we could help. The M80s are imo a vey good deal, far exceeding what their cost would lead one to beleive.
Posted By: speakerchooser Re: M60's with NAD/HK - best fit? - 03/24/06 03:17 PM
Congratulations !

I read somewhere on this site (now I can't find it)that someone experimented with pulling the axioms out from the wall (about 2 to 4') and closer together, about 1/2 the distance apart then they are from the listener. This created an "incredible soundstage". I had been listening to my M60's further apart in typical HT position.

He was either right or he biased my experience with suggestion but it created a great soundstage for stereo.
© Axiom Message Boards