Axiom Home Page
Posted By: corsabrin Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 03:32 PM
These were the words uttered by my girlfriend when I was talking about how expensive this hobby can be.

I tried explaining it to her, but all she said was "Buying stuff isn't a hobby"

I was at a loss for words. The only good thing about the situation is that she likes the HT setup and doesn't mind having 5.1 speakers and a big screen in the living room.

She's still a keeper!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 03:39 PM
Wow, she sounds like my wife
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 04:04 PM
Well, tell her to name a hobby in which you don’t have to buy something. I can’t think of one.
Even if your 'hobby' is sit down at the park and watch people pass-by, sooner or later youll have to incurr in some kind of expense (food, clothes ...)

~Jaime
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 05:29 PM
In reply to:

Well, tell her to name a hobby in which you don’t have to buy something. I can’t think of one.

Rock collecting.
Posted By: ChicagoTC Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 05:44 PM
Lots of stuff to buy here

http://rockhoundingar.com/collection.html
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 08:22 PM
That doesn't mean you NEED to buy anything.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 09:36 PM
Tell her that you are increasing your self worth and the escrow you have in life. You are making solid investments into technology as well as your relationship with her (as you will more than eagerly watch a movie with her about any time)....

Spin it, my friend, spin it!
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 09:44 PM
LOL, very good, I'll have to remember that one I wonder if my wife would fall for those lines.
Posted By: jinhan Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 10:12 PM
The google definition of a hobby is "a spare-time recreational pursuit." I believe that HT meets this definition.

Does she consider cooking a hobby? You still have to buy food.

But I have a feeling that you won't win this argument with her.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 10:27 PM
In reply to:

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock collecting.

apparently your wife isn't big into diamonds!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 10:41 PM
She loved the engagement ring I bought for her, but neither of us is a rock collector.

(Notice my use of the past tense. The ring, I'm afraid, walked off, to put it very kindly.)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/07/06 10:44 PM
OK...you gotta explain that one.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/08/06 12:43 AM
My wife was a sea kayaking instructor, and she'd always take the ring off before class. Sometimes she'd forget to do it at home, so she'd leave it in a hidden spot in the car. Sometimes she'd forget about it and not put it back on until the next day.

One fateful day, a car wash and vacuum happened in the interim. Most likely it got sucked up in the vacuum and is now sitting somewhere in a dump, or in a seagull's gullet.
Posted By: bray Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/08/06 12:49 AM
I think you should get her a M80/EP600 system to replace it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/08/06 02:32 AM
All I can think now is "F*&^ing deBeers!"
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/08/06 02:45 AM
I bet that called for a few of da beers
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Home Theatre is not a hobby - 04/08/06 03:22 AM
The day she realized the ring was gone was actually the day I sold my Paradigm Monitor 9s after buying the M22s. The guy who bought them took a little longer to audition them than I had planned (and no, I didn't let him hear the M22s). My wife was giving me hints from the sidelines to speed it up -- which I thought was only because we were going to be late for something if the guy carried on. But after I had helped the guy load the speakers and gotten into our car to leave, that's when she layed it on me.

She felt much worse about it than I did.
© Axiom Message Boards