Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jordan Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/02/06 02:27 PM
Hello all,

I recall stubling upon a post here and there where people suggest buying refurb/factory second receivers from online dealers - Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, etc. I'm interested in picking up a receiver this way but I am having trouble finding sites that will sell to Canadians.

If possible, could you reply with links to various Canadian-friendly sites for me?

Much appreciated,

Jordan
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/02/06 10:57 PM
i bougth denon 486s for my outdoor speakers refurb from ecost and was happy with my purchase im in NY but im pretty sure they ship to Canada.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 12:03 AM
You will want to go to an authorized refurb/b-stock dealer if you want one with a warranty the mfg. will honor. I know the Denon website has a list of such dealers.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 01:05 AM
I don't see anything on the Denon.ca page that leads to any refurbished receivers. Where is it that you are looking?

As well, the ecost link/site seems to be down. What's up with that?

Anyone else know of somewhere online that I can find what I am looking for?

Cheers,

Jordan
Posted By: Wid Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 01:18 AM

Dakmart is an authorized dealer for Denon refurbs.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 01:36 AM
My bad with the ecost. It doesn't work with Firefox. At least not for me.

Cheers,

Jordan
Posted By: Jordan Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 02:18 AM
To clarify a bit more, it doesn't work with firefox but it does work with other browsers like Safari for example.

J

Posted By: ratpack Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 02:27 AM
I would think long and hard about getting a refurb. There are several on this board who have had good "luck" with refurbs. But, you don't have to go to many other boards to hear horror stories of what they received. I once bought a refurb Toshiba laptop and that is the last refurb that I am going to buy!!!!!!

I would strongly recommend that if you do go the refurb route that you buy from a dealer than has more than a 90 day warranty and carefully study the warranty so that there are no doubts in your mind what it covers.

Just a few thoughts.
Posted By: INANE Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 03:26 AM
I'm almost 100% sure HK sells their refurbs only thru their ebay store. At least the ones that are offically from them.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that NO refurbished receiver, or new receiver for that matter, bought in the US would get a warranty in Canada.

And I don't believe there are any Canadian sites carrying refurbs. Please correct me if you know of any.

Posted By: Jordan Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 03:04 PM
Hmmm,

More food for thought. The one site I was looking at offers a 1-year warrenty but I have not yet looked into how being a Canadian affects it. Thanks for bringing my attention to this point.

I keep hearing about the eBay Harmon Kardon refurb store. I used to think that I was internet savvy but I cannot find this store for the life of me. Free karma to the first person who posts a link to it for me.

I am really surprised that there is such a glut of online refurb sites that suite Canadians. That's a bit of a bummer.

My eyes and ears remain open to other suggestions.

Many thanks,

Jordan
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 03:12 PM
I say buy used. Warranties are overrated.
For the cost savings in getting a used component you can pay for a repair twice over, assuming you need one.
Check out the price on an Onkyo 989 at that link.
Phenomenal.

Posted By: Jordan Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 03:57 PM
Hey Chesseroo,

Yeah, I've pretty-well made up my mind to go the used / refurb route.

What are your thoughts on Dakmart by the way? At first sight, they seem to offer a 1 year warranty and decent prices on Denon units.

J
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 04:04 PM
I don't know anything about Dakmart. I would head to Advance or McCulloch Audio first and ask them what they have for used receivers. Give them a call and price things out. Bill McCulloch will likely be more open to some haggle.
http://www.mccullochaudio.com/
Posted By: HAY Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 05:06 PM
In reply to:

I keep hearing about the eBay Harmon Kardon refurb store. I used to think that I was internet savvy but I cannot find this store for the life of me. Free karma to the first person who posts a link to it for me.

I haven't heard of the ebay site but I went to http://www.harmanaudiooutlet.com/search_browse/default.asp?sp=S&brand=HK I called a few months bach to see if they are warrantied in Canada but no dice. Never asked if they would sell to Canada...
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 06:01 PM
I bought my receiver 3805 and DVD 3910 from Dakmart, no problems, just call to make sure they have the item in stock.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 07:49 PM
In reply to:

I'm pretty sure that NO refurbished receiver, or new receiver for that matter, bought in the US would get a warranty in Canada.

And I don't believe there are any Canadian sites carrying refurbs. Please correct me if you know of any

Ya know i think you are correct i remember soomething about denon not honoring waranty from canada. i would check with denon to be sure(or what ever manuf you decide on)
Posted By: richeydog Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 10:40 PM
Jordan, try the link below. I don't think they ship outside the United States.

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio
Posted By: Jordan Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 11:49 PM
What the hell. I find it really frustrating that there is no easy way to get a refurb unit in Canada w/ warranty.

That's it, I'm calling Axiom and telling them to stop all factory outlet sales to the United States to even the score. To top it off, I'm going to get them to use the same crooked exchange rate that Harmon Kardon does up here.

Just to anger myself I plugged the American price of the M60s into the old currency calculator to discover that Americans can buy Canadian made speakers for $55.39 less than a Canadian.
(exchange rate May 3, www.xe.com: 1 CAD = 0.901738 USD / 1 USD = 1.10897 CAD)

Grrrrrr.

J
Posted By: Jordan Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/03/06 11:53 PM
Hey look! I'm a hobbyist now! All you have to do is get disgruntled over cost comparisons and you get upgraded in status around here.

Oh well, as long as the oilers keep it up I'll be ok.

J
Posted By: richeydog Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/04/06 01:01 AM
In reply to:

Oh well, as long as the oilers keep it up I'll be ok.

Boo! Hiss!

(Disgruntled Red Wings Fan)

Posted By: HAY Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/04/06 05:30 PM
Last time the exchange made it more beneficial to order from the US a couple Canadians were able to purchase with US dollars if memory serves....check with Noreen or Amie.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Online Refurbished Receivers - 05/04/06 06:02 PM
That's interesting. I had wondered if that was a possibility.

Think there is a lucrative speculatory market in Axiom speakers? Oh wait, I am a labour studies graduate - I couldn't sleep at night if I went through with it.

All the best,

J
© Axiom Message Boards