Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jmwyatt Surprised by "temp" Tweeter in M3Ti's - 05/14/06 09:21 PM
My five-year-old boy couldn't help himself last week when he saw the shiny tweeter domes. He just had to see what happened when he touched them... again and again. When I found them they looked like crumpled aluminum foil. So I called Axiom regarding replacements and in the meantime stuck in a pair of VIFA D25AG-35's that I had on the shelf. Now I'm reconsidering getting the replacements from Axion -- the VIFAs sound great! Less edgy. (Used with a Class D amp)

Mike
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Surprised by "temp" Tweeter in M3Ti's - 05/15/06 03:35 AM
To each his own. Just know that the internal crossover wasn't designed for the characteristics of that VIFA, so your frequency response is probably wonky.
Posted By: jmwyatt Re: Surprised by "temp" Tweeter in M3Ti's - 05/15/06 04:55 AM
Given the simplicity of the crossover (nothing on the midwoofer -- it rolls off on its own -- and the tweeter @ 2.2kHz) I'm not too worried. Checked it with my SPL and frequency response test tones. Not too sophisticated a test, but nothing jumped out. So I agree. To each his own... and the VIFA's sound good to me. (Though I'll still listen to the speakers again with replacement Axiom tweeters...)

Mike
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Surprised by "temp" Tweeter in M3Ti's - 05/15/06 05:51 AM
Hi jmwyatt
Curious about the cross-over on the M3Ti. Did you note the value of the capacitor and resistor? I have a Merak MC634 center channel speaker - made by Axiom. This Merak has 2 x 6.5" drivers and a 3/4" titanium tweeter used on the previous generation M2ti, QS4, etc. Anyway, I picked up a tweeter from a Reference 3a de capo mm which included the Reference 3a cross over. This x-over allows the 6.5s to run free and crosses the tweeter at about 3000Hz. So, I swapped the 6.5s in the Merak with the 6.5s from the M3Ti routed the cabinet to accommodate the Reference 3a tweeter and x-over. The resonant frequency of the de capo mm tweeter is 700 Hz, the crossover's 6dB/octave slope is 3000 Hz at 3 dB and continues from there ... a perfect match for the Axiom 6.5" aluminum drivers. Anyway, I applaud your fooling around with the M3Ti (my favorite Axiom speaker - certainly their tube friendliest).

As to my Frankenstein center - it's the best sounding center I've ever heard.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Surprised by "temp" Tweeter in M3Ti's - 05/15/06 05:55 AM
Maybe Axiom can look into marketing DIY kits? I'd be interested.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Surprised by "temp" Tweeter in M3Ti's - 05/15/06 02:20 PM
In addition to voiding all warranties, nah, not to worry.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Surprised by "temp" Tweeter in M3Ti's - 05/15/06 04:16 PM
Don't tell me you've never voided a warranty to have some fun...
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Surprised by "temp" Tweeter in M3Ti's - 05/16/06 01:05 AM
I once pulled the tag off my mattress. What a night. . .

© Axiom Message Boards