Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jordan Efficiency Question - 06/10/06 06:16 PM
I noticed that Axiom gives both anechoic and in room SPL ratings for their loudspeakers. Most other speaker manufacturers tend to only list one SPL measurement and do not tell you whether it is an in room or anechoic figure.

If I want to compare Axioms to other manufacturers which of the two should I be concerned with?

Cheers,

J
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Efficiency Question - 06/10/06 07:00 PM
If at all posible, I prefer to go with anechoic/anechoic as they are lab results; rather than "in-room" which could be just "ol' anybodys" chamber.

EDIT: Although the "Standard North American Living Room" might be a safe bet!!
Posted By: Jordan Re: Efficiency Question - 06/10/06 09:02 PM
I would prefer to use the anechoic as well but I suppose what I am wondering is do you think that other speaker manufacturers are using in room or anechoic measurements?

Cheers,

J
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Efficiency Question - 06/10/06 09:39 PM
Gads....interesting question!

Since I "discovered" Axiom about six years ago and started buying their speakers exclusively, I haven't so much as "Looked" at another speaker web-site!!

......uh oh, this could be a problem.

I won't even "look" at other speakers, but my Wife has caught me looking at........

......oops.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Efficiency Question - 06/11/06 01:56 AM
Jordan, if other manufacturers don't specify, then the figure should be the standard anechoic measurement. Apparently this is usually the case, but it's been known for a manufacturer to sneak in an extra 3dB for the room and even another 3dB for the second speaker in a stereo setup.
Posted By: Bobbyh Re: Efficiency Question - 06/14/06 04:12 PM
If you weren't looking your wife would be burying you.
Bob & Annie
Nikki (CAG)
McGyver (GW)
Sasha (Persian Kitty)
© Axiom Message Boards