Axiom Home Page
Posted By: duckman Cat 5 cable to power led lighting? - 07/29/06 04:40 AM
Hi all- So I bought a cyron media highlighter kit to backlight my qs8's. http://www.cyron.com The q's are mounted with fmb's and the 9 inch tubes fit back there pretty slick. The tubes have a 5 ft. cord on them with an oddball plug which plugs into the system. Since one of my q's is a good 15' away that presents the need for an "extension cord" for the 4 tiny wires powering each tube,without losing the oddball plug on the end.
After trying the one I was able to connect I decided each q needs 2 tubes, so thats 8 tiny wires. Which introduces cat 5 cable- 8 tiny wires in one cable.
My question is then- can I safely do this? is there a better way? I'd like to install cool little plugs so this is all unpluggable. Any of you IT geeks care to comment?
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Cat 5 cable to power led lighting? - 07/29/06 07:13 AM
I can't answer you questions, but thats some cool stuff, and I thought I was going overboard by adding my buttkicker lfe
Posted By: BrenR Re: Cat 5 cable to power led lighting? - 07/29/06 07:24 AM
They don't give a lot of information on voltage and amperage requirements... it IS low voltage (~2V DC for each LED) but how are the LEDs wired? If it's in series, and I count 18 per tube... that'd be 18VDC - 54VDC depending on the LED... you could probably get away with it... but CAT5 is what, about 24 ga... I just wouldn't do it.

Bren R.
Posted By: duckman Re: Cat 5 cable to power led lighting? - 07/29/06 11:10 PM
I had a look on the power supply and it's rated at 110-240 V and 1.5 A input, 12V and 1500ma output. Thats for the 5 tubes it's supposed to power.
This deal is pretty cool, although I don't accept it as being a proper display backlight. It's great if you want just a little light in the room.
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: Cat 5 cable to power led lighting? - 08/01/06 07:51 PM
Quote:

I had a look on the power supply and it's rated at 110-240 V and 1.5 A input, 12V and 1500ma output. Thats for the 5 tubes it's supposed to power.
This deal is pretty cool, although I don't accept it as being a proper display backlight. It's great if you want just a little light in the room.

My only related experience is our VOIP phones here take 9V 750ma from PoE switches. No burned out walls yet.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Cat 5 cable to power led lighting? - 08/02/06 01:32 PM
Good catch there, LJ. The IEEE standard for Power over Ethernet, 802.3af, allows up to 15.4 Watts per port. Watts = Volts * Amps, so as long as you don't exceed the specs, you should be fine.
© Axiom Message Boards