Axiom Home Page
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/15/06 10:23 PM
OK, so my GSM phone makes my work speakerphone and car stereo buzz. I know about that the GSM band creates the interference picked up by unshielded speakers.

But now it buzzes my Axioms, EVEN WHEN THE SYSTEM IS OFF?! Short of turning off or moving the phone, has anyone solved this problem? It's really annoying at home. Unfortunately, my job requires my phone to be on 24/7 so it's hard to keep it off.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/15/06 11:01 PM
I haven't solved that problem, except for keeping the GSM phone off or away. Very annoying. I'm hoping to hear any ideas as well.

One time I was shooting some video with my DV-cam and later found that I had that buzzing noice recorded on the video when I played it back. That could be a very big problem.

I always know I'm going to get a call a few seconds before the phone actually rings because of the buzzing noise in my computer speakers. It also checks in with the service and buzzes lightly once an hour.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/16/06 01:09 AM
Interesting. I get this at work. Sounds like aliens are trying to contact me through my computer speakers. Affects my screen and interferes with the landline phone.

In the car yesterday while listening to a ballgame on AM, plugged the phone in to the recharger and was treated to quite a peculiar crescendo.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/16/06 03:07 AM
I just relocate the phone. There is no solution other than shielding all your cables.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/16/06 05:45 AM
Wow, first they cause brain tumors, now they are messing with our music, time to get back to two tin cans and a rope
Another thing I learned on vacation last week, after replacing my wifes magnetic key 3 times at the front desk, is that you don't put them in your purse next to your cell phone. That one was new to me
Posted By: ratpack Re: Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/16/06 11:29 AM
You have a tough problem. I suspect that when your cell communicates to the nearest cell tower, you are getting the buzz. It needs to communicate every once in a while to let the system know where it really is.

The same thing happens to me when I lay my cell near my clock radio in the bedroom. About once an hour, I get a buzz in the clock radio. Not much that I can do except move the cell away from the radio

Other than shielding, I'm afraid that you are pretty much stuck!!!!
Posted By: JonHan Re: Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/16/06 12:41 PM
I am also required to be available via my cell 24/7, but when at home I call forward my cell to my home phone. This way I still get calls, but do not need to schelp my cell around the house and just tuck it away.
Posted By: cava Re: Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/29/06 12:14 PM
Yes, I notice it in my car if I put my phone in the compartment under the cd player, but no where else. What causes that particular hum? Aren't cell phone carrier frequencies way above the audible range?
Posted By: dllewel Re: Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/29/06 03:07 PM
Yes, they are. You are not hearing the freuqency the phone is using, but rather the interference it causes to the nearby speakers and audio equipment. The interference causes the near by audio equipment to produce audible sounds out of the speakers.
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: Cell Phone Buzzing - 08/29/06 05:52 PM
They're not audible no matter the frequency since they're electromagnetic waves and not sound waves anyway...
© Axiom Message Boards