Axiom Home Page
Posted By: sri777 M22 placement - 09/26/06 06:52 PM
Hi

Does M22s have front firing ports or they fire backwards towards the wall? May be a stupid question. But the reason I ask is.. I have my false HT screen frame structure (open at both ends, basically a structure made out of 2x4 studs) built couple of inches away from the front wall and I need to place the M22s in this frame on either side of the screen. I do not want to build this frame too far away from the front wall in order to save the viewing length. So, there may not be any gap between the back of the M22 and the wall which is covered with a 1" thick linacoustic sheet. In other words, this is almost same as hanging them on the front wall (that is treated with insulation)itself. Is this ok?

thanks
sri
Posted By: BrenR Re: M22 placement - 09/26/06 06:54 PM
The M22 porting is on the back of the cabinet.

Bren R.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: M22 placement - 09/26/06 06:55 PM
If you check the pics on the M22 product page you can see there is a rear port. You normally want to allow some room between the speaker and wall for low bass to filter into the room.

Posted By: sri777 Re: M22 placement - 09/26/06 07:47 PM
Thanks.

In that case, how is the 1" thick insulation (Linacoustic) on the wall (hence it's absorption) going to effect the firing done towards the wall?

also, what is the recommended clearance from the wall?

thanks
sri
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M22 placement - 09/26/06 11:47 PM
I'm not quite sure what the answer to that question is, but it looks like you may be more in the W22 territory as far as getting good sound and placement go.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M22 placement - 09/26/06 11:52 PM
I don't think the insulation is going to cause any problems. A 1" thick panel isn't going to absorb any low bass and that's pretty much all that comes out of the port.

I don't remember how much spacing is required, and I'm not a good one to ask because I like my speakers far away from the wall...
Posted By: sri777 Re: M22 placement - 09/27/06 12:24 AM
Quote:

it looks like you may be more in the W22 territory as far as getting good sound and placement go.

Not sure what you mean by W22terriotory. Please explain.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M22 placement - 09/27/06 01:21 AM
The W22s are the in-wall/on-wall version of the M22s. They are designed to fit into rectangular holes in your wall and stick out a couple of inches, just enough for ports and to reduce most of the bad side-effects you get from sticking a speaker in a wall.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/wallspeakers.html
© Axiom Message Boards