Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Robot Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 06:42 PM
Hey all,

Before I get my new M60’s, I wanted to make sure I understood how to use this thing properly. The below is instructions were taken from Audioholics:

Quote:

“Place the SPL Meter at the listening position at ear level with the Mic end pointed toward the ceiling. Select “C” weighting, response slow then, turn the dB dial to 70. Activate the internal pink noise generator of your Receiver and select manual test tone. Now adjust each speaker to +75 dB reference. When you are adjusting the surrounds make sure your body is not in a direct path of the speaker and make sure the house is quiet. When doing the calibration, only the test tone should be heard (A/C, ceiling fans, ect. should be turned off). I like to adjust the subwoofer level to + 80dB for wow effect. Your taste may vary.”

What I don’t understand is the +75dB. My receiver (Pioneer ELITE) only goes to +12. What am I missing?

Thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 06:43 PM
OK, ignore the volume settings on your receiver. It's talking about the reading of 75 dB on the meter.
Posted By: Robot Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 07:08 PM
So where should I set my receiver to test? My reference level is between -10 and -5 on my receiver.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 07:31 PM
Robot,

Set up the meter and then turn the volume up on the reciever so that the left front speaker registers 75 db on the meter...Disregard where the volume control on the reciever is set.

Hope this helps.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Robot Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 07:42 PM
Thanks, WhatFurrer.

Sory for my ignorance, but it doesn't say "75dB" on the meter (I have the analog version).

It reads from -10 to +6.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 07:55 PM
Ah. You set the meter to 70 dB (or 80 dB) and read it at +5 (or -5)
Posted By: Robot Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 08:23 PM
Quote:

Ah. You set the meter to 70 dB (or 80 dB) and read it at +5 (or -5)

Oh, ok. I see.

Thanks!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 09:00 PM
Does your receiver have auto setup with a mic? If so, run that first, that is what I do. Then I go back and check with an SPL meter to make sure that the speakers are the same on the meter. I've heard the starting with the left speaker thing first, but I don't think that matters with the newer receivers.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 09:45 PM
The THX reference level for movies is 85db

I think once you get your meter out and start adjusting the volume to 85db with pink noise you'll find its TOO LOUD!

At least, I did.
Posted By: Robot Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 11:23 PM
Quote:

Does your receiver have auto setup with a mic?

It does, but I never agree with it.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 11:25 PM
My Denon setup is very accurate, I don't tweek it much from those settings. I do not use the EQ part of the setup thought, it makes my 60's sound worse. Levels, Delay, etc. it is dead on...
Posted By: cava Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/18/06 11:35 PM
I turn the volume down when its too loud
Posted By: BrenR Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/19/06 03:42 AM
I also suggest pointing the SPL meter toward the screen at ear level (use a tripod). I find it more accurate reflects what you'll hear (unless your audio canals point straight up out of your head) when you're sitting facing the screen.

Bren R.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/19/06 03:52 AM
Ro, basically you can rely on MCACC on your Pioneer to accurately set the speaker levels. There's no good reason to expect that a manual setting using the RS meter will be more accurate. That meter isn't a precision instrument(they claim +/-2dB accuracy)and the element of human error can also affect a manual calibration, so if the results differ it shouldn't be assumed that the manual results are more nearly correct.

If you do use the manual setting process, follow the instructions in your receiver's manual. Generally receiver tones are at 75dB and the receiver volume setting is at 0 for the calibration. Then if you desire listening at that "reference level"(usually too loud)you'd have the receiver volume control at 0, where it was for the calibration.
Posted By: mrnomas Re: Using The Radio Shack SPL Meter? - 10/19/06 09:29 PM
I agree with John. In my experience, the MCACC will accurately set your levels. Just check the speaker size and the sub distance. That will be where it messes up.
© Axiom Message Boards