Axiom Home Page
Posted By: h1ckman XLR - Microphone XLR vs Monster cable XLR - 11/20/06 08:52 PM
I am shopping localy for a XLR cable. Most of them aren't labeled very well or say they are for Microphones.

Is there a difference between a XLR Microphone cable and a Outlaw PCB XLR cable?

Besides brand name and brand quality that is.

I want to know if I can use a cable labeled Microphone XLR to go bewteen my Outlaw preamp and my M80.

Thanks,
Brian
Posted By: BrenR Re: XLR - Microphone XLR vs Monster cable XLR - 11/20/06 08:59 PM
Nope, same cable... still just ground, in-phase, and 180 out of phase audio (assuming it's a balanced XLR).

Make sure to get a 3 pin one... they also sell similar looking 4-pin ones (for Clear-Comms) and 5-pin for DMX lighting controls.

Bren R.
Thank you. You were very helpful as usual.
Posted By: BrenR Re: XLR - Microphone XLR vs Monster cable XLR - 11/21/06 04:45 AM
Only by accident.

Bren R.
Posted By: Thasp Re: XLR - Microphone XLR vs Monster cable XLR - 12/02/06 07:25 PM
As long as it is 3 pin, it's fine. Don't buy monster.

You can make them, too. It's much less of a pain in the ass, IMO, to make XLR cables than RCA cables because of the seperate sections on the connectors. Much cheaper than buying any brand and you get a cable that you can repair yourself. A lot of cables you buy have these weird connectors that are nearly impossible to resolder in the case that something bad happens.
© Axiom Message Boards