Axiom Home Page
Posted By: muttsinparadise cabling question - 11/23/06 07:57 AM
Aloha Friday Axiomites: Once again, I beg of your knowledge and expertise... my Epic 80 setup should be arriving in a week or so, and I ordered the Outlaw 990/7125 combo today. Speaker cabling went well with Belden 12 White from Blue Jeans, and I actually built a hanging center shelf using Arakawa hardware that looks great. As for interconnects, I have a question: I remember reading that extra speaker cable should not be loosely coiled due to, I suppose, generated noise? Is this true, and if so, does it apply to amp-preamp interconnects, S-video cable, or Digital Audio cable? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to purchase longer cables than currently necessary, as there is little additional cost. Oh, also, I see from one of the other posts that banana plugs will not fit the QS8's when they're used with the wall brackets. If I'm planning on just using the stock T-bracket, will bananas fit, or should I hold off on finishing the ends of my surround cables? thanks as always...
Posted By: JohnK Re: cabling question - 11/23/06 08:35 AM
Mark, coils of wire form inductors, which roll off the high frequencies. This is how in a speaker crossover the highs are kept out of the woofer. The practice is frowned upon, but a few coils of speaker wire wouldn't have an appreciable effect. Shielded wires, such as the cables you mention, wouldn't create a significant inductance, so don't worry about it.

Yes, I understand that the regular QS T-brackets don't leave enough room to use banana plugs.
Posted By: muttsinparadise Re: cabling question - 11/23/06 08:48 AM
Mahalo John. Bummer about the bananas but at least it sounds funny. Aloha.
Posted By: bridgman Re: cabling question - 11/23/06 01:07 PM

© Axiom Message Boards