Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rdwarn DVD-A / SACD without a center channel - 01/07/07 06:36 PM
I just recently purchased a universal DVD-A /SACD dvd player. Even more recently i finally hooked it up to my HK reciever using the 6 RCA direct connects and ordered the Dark Side of the Moon and Allman Bros. SACD's. It just dawned on me (after poking around the internet reading reviews of DVD-A's and SACD) that my current setup is a 4.1 system with no center channel.
Will my receiver intervene and channel the center channel sound to my two M60's in the front or will i simply be missing all the music that was intended to go through the center channel? I could wait until my SACD's arrive in 2 weeks (damn circuit city) but i decided i can't wait that long.

thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DVD-A / SACD without a center channel - 01/07/07 08:49 PM
If you use the 8-channel or 6-channel DVD-A mode, the H/K will do some processing. I don't know if that will take care of the center channel, though. Standard 6 or 8 channel mode will just pass the signal straight to the amps, so you would be missing on the center channel material.
Posted By: JohnK Re: DVD-A / SACD without a center channel - 01/08/07 04:51 AM
RD, your player, rather than your receiver, should handle the situation. When you set the bass management for the multichannel analog outputs on the player, the center speaker will be set "none". The player should then mix the center channel(if present; not all SACDs have one)equally into the left and right speakers, resulting in the center channel material being played as a "phantom" center, as usual.
© Axiom Message Boards