Axiom Home Page
can I sum left and right outputs into one the one input of the EP500? I want to use the EP500 on a 2 channel setup (without bass management)

would there be any negative drawbacks?
It is not recommended to combine left and right channels to send to the sub. Why not wye
Hi Mikec,

If you use the EP500's high-level (speaker level) inputs, running the left and right channel speaker cables first to the EP500 and then to your main stereo speakers, the EP500 will automatically sum the bass content present in both channels without compromising the main stereo signals in any way.

Regards,
alan,

like in a series connection?

I've always imagined the speaker level inputs used like a parallel connection with the speakers.

wid, thanks for the article.
Mike, Alan is off the board now, but the speaker level connection that he described would be a parallel, not series, connection of the sub and speakers. Regardless of whether the wires to the speakers ran directly from the receiver or for some reason ran from the receiver to the terminals on the sub and then continued on to the speakers, that's still parallel. Of course, as you mentioned, that setup has no bass management and the main speakers would have to run full-range.
thanks everyone. I'll push for a 2 channel preamp/receiver with bass management instead.
© Axiom Message Boards