Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hutzal Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/12/07 02:02 PM
What would you like to see in a lower end digital amp from Axiom?

Keep in mind, since it is a digital design, the full load from the amp can be routed to any one (1) channel that needs it. Since the new A1400-8 is rumored to be around $3500 to $4000, I thought a lower end amp would suit the market well in addition to the tank they are planning to release.

For the estimated pricing, I used $2.85/watt (based on 1400 watts for $4000, my theory could be flawed as I am not all that knowledgeable about pricing...)
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/12/07 03:54 PM
I would not be in the market for these types of amps. I believe Axiom has chosen to sell Sherwood Newcastle as an option to cover the lower end spectrum ,while the Axiom brand covers the high end
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/12/07 04:24 PM
There is a major difference between Sherwood and Axiom, mainly the digital design of their amps. The fact that the power per channel isn't static on Axiom's amp makes it something to be desired. The power goes where it is needed, its a great and innovative design. And I would rather have a digital amp that assigns the power when needed, instead of having a monoblock sort of amp that I have power on one of the channels that I am not even using that I can put to use on the mains.

I don't think introducing a lower end digital amp would interfere at all with the Sherwood line.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/12/07 06:56 PM
your definition of "Low End" is miles away from mine .

Good topic though.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/12/07 08:09 PM
I would personally like to see a "lower end" 5 ch. Axiom amp built to deliver ~ 100 watts for L & R Fronts, and ~ 67 watts for the CC and R & L surrounds.

Doubt I'll see it though.

Cheers,

Jordan
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/13/07 01:00 AM
I picked "other" since I figured a 600-3 would be sufficiently less expensive to produce than a 600-4 that I could live without the extra channel.

I tweaked the pricing model a bit to justify my choice :

$1 per watt
$300 per channel
$200 fixed cost (1400x1 + 8x300 + 200 = 4000)

That puts the 600-3 around $1700, vs. $2000 for a 600-4. I figure 99% of us would only use three channels.

FWIW, this model prices the three amps in the poll at :

1000-5 2700
600-4 2000
400-2 1200
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/13/07 02:57 AM
bridgman,
If i added up all the new model prices and amp "naming numbers" that you just threw out there, and divided by pi, i'm positive i can derive a
Fibonacci sequence.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/13/07 03:31 AM
Yeah, I guess that was a little heavy on the numbers and light on the formatting, wasn't it ?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/13/07 01:44 PM
I had no idea channels actually cost that much, $300 you think eh?

Well then, I am in favour of the 3 channel amp too!

The A600-3 sounds good to me!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/15/07 06:36 PM
Even though I voted for the 2 channel amp, I'd like to see a lower price.

Sigh... I wish I could afford a good 2-channel amp (other than the BPA-1, which I kind of doubt would gain me anything...)

Too many reasons why not, not the least of which is lying on the couch right next to me sleeping.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom Lower End Amp? (Poll) - 04/15/07 09:53 PM
>>I had no idea channels actually cost that much, $300 you think eh?

This is obviously just a SWAG, but I figure each additional channel involves all the actual amplifier electronics, connectors, testing etc, while an additional watt of power just means bigger power supply.

I'm making the assumption that Axiom does not redesign the amplifier circuitry on systems with less overall power output, ie that a channel on a 600-3 costs as much to build as a channel on a 1400-8. I think this is a safe assumption.

Maybe one day the web site will have a page with a few sliders, letting you pick your own power supply and # channels, and auto-updating the product name (along with the price and weight) each time you move a slider
© Axiom Message Boards