Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jbzngowest My precocious three year old... - 12/10/02 11:42 AM
Ok, first off, I've had all the "I TOLD YOU SO's" that I need to hear from the wife. Now, down to business. The little guy wanted to hide some of his little 1/64 scale NASCAR racers. He found a beautiful hiding place (four actually) in the rear of my M60's. How on earth do I get them out of my M60's? We've taken stock of his collection and estimate there are 2-3 of them inside my mains. Quit laughing and help me.
Posted By: Semi_On Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/10/02 04:22 PM
magnate glued to a stick?
Posted By: adanko Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/10/02 04:34 PM
.....and then maybe some speaker cloth or fibreglass screening glued over the ports????

......grampa's been there!
Posted By: alan Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/10/02 08:37 PM
Hi,

Just use an Allen-key type wrench and unscrew the four bolts on the lower woofer, pop it out carefully, unclip the two leads to the woofer, and feel around inside the enclosure. You might have to remove both woofers and shine a light inside. It would likely be easier if you lay the M60 on its side while you grope around inside the enclosure.

Be sure and reconnect the clips to the woofer terminals before you re-install the woofer(s).

Regards,
Posted By: Semi_On Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/10/02 09:05 PM
That's too easy Alan! Stop being all logical. I want to see what bizarre contraptions he makes to get the cars out.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/10/02 10:13 PM
As a collector I would suggest 1:18 scale, a little more expensive but too large to fit in the port.

sorry but I did laugh
Posted By: alan Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/11/02 02:34 PM
Excellent idea!

Perhaps this could be turned into a fun game for the family and relatives over the holidays--plus it would be a good method of shedding calories from all that holiday food intake.

Each team of two would grasp opposite ends of the M60 and gently shake it to see if you could get one of the cars to pop out of the ports--kind of like that game I had as a kid where a BB-size ball rolled around in concentric circles inside a kind of plastic maze. You had to get the ball to drop through these notches and reach the inside of the circle.

Regards,
Posted By: Steven Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/13/02 07:44 PM
I have a pair of M60's as well in a full Axiom HT setup

I was a little disappointed to hear that the hookup wire from the crossover to the woofer was just clipped on.

Doesnt seem like that would be a very good type of electrical connection.

What do you all think about this?
Posted By: Semi_On Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/13/02 09:24 PM
Why do you think it would be a poor connection? What would you prefer, soldering them in place so that you can never remove them if the speaker should be damaged? I don't think that would result in any demonstrable change in the speaker.

I have SMA connectors in my lab for evaluating 12GHz SiGe parts that add almost no jitter at all. Connectors aren't inherently bad.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/14/02 11:54 AM
Gee thanks Ford! I'd like to buy him the bigger size cars too, but they don't travel well in numbers. He only has 40 some odd cars in his/my little collection. I'm hoping that a screen of some sort over the ports won't alter the beautiful sound they make. It wouldn't be so bad, but the little guy actually smiles when you ask him if he really put his cars in there....Sighs!!!
Posted By: Marc_in_Ottawa Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/14/02 08:50 PM
Hi Jim,
Sorry but couldn't help laughing; same thing happened to me!!!
My speakers in my two channel system have four ports at the back of them. Within days of getting them my five year old put two of them in there (a Jeff Gordon and a Mark Martin we are guessing). At this point they are still in there as I'd have to remove the bottom plinth of the speaker and a whopping great crossover board which I'm relectant to fool with.
No loss on the Jeff Gordon but I'll miss the Mark Martin

Posted By: jbzngowest Re: My precocious three year old... - 12/14/02 09:38 PM
You obviously noticed our 24 car in my home theater pics!!
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: My precocious three year old... - 03/10/03 04:26 AM
I've always wanted to revive a dead thread. Now I can tell you what I found in my M60's today. I know what your thinking, damn he's a good procrastinator (Dec 10 for goodness sakes!!!). I forgot what Alan said about taking the lower woofer off, so I started up high. I figure the upper port would mean I could stay in the upper region of the M60. I was wrong. I didn't lay them on their side either. Using those spikes takes forever to get the toe in correct. They ARE some heavy beasts!! Using the upper port in the back was the only way the little guy could get something inside the speaker successfully. The lower port has the white fill material stuff blocking it. I tried the midrange first. Damn me anyway, it's in located in a MDF cavern. I finally got to the first woofer, not the bottom one (which would have been smart, perhaps easier), and carefully removed the leads. I could reach all the way to the bottom up to my elbow. I'll make a long story longer. He had a 48 car and 24 car in the left speaker with two plastic golf balls. He had a 17 car in the right main. All the items were in the bottom of the M60's. If you're wondering, I did remember to re-hook the leads before I re-threaded the bolts. So Alan, what can I cover the ports up with on the backside that won't affect the accoustics? I really don't want to do this type of surgery on a regular basis. Also, what's the purpose of the white fill stuff? Why is the midrange in an enclosure and not the woofs? Now all together...LAUGH!! I deserve it.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: My precocious three year old... - 03/10/03 10:41 AM
no laughs, just a very wide grin, perhaps he's hinting that what he really would like is a toy box.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: My precocious three year old... - 03/11/03 04:01 AM
I wish it was that simple...he has two of them in the room as well. Sighs!!!!
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: My precocious three year old... - 03/11/03 10:32 AM
yes but are they ported?
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: My precocious three year old... - 03/12/03 12:30 AM
Sure they're ported...big flip top type port openings in the front that obviously aren't as mischevious as my M60 ports. Now if Alan would answer my ?'s, I'll be set.
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: My precocious three year old... - 08/24/06 04:06 PM
I found a toothbrush, seveal pens, a can of fish food, a ball, some crust of of bread, and some plastic trash in my SVS sub, apparently someone thinks it is a garbage can...I had to fish it out with one of those mechanical arms you can grab stuff with. I decided to put the sub back the way it was so no one can drop stuff down the ports again. I had it standing on end so it would take less floor spacewith the ports and controls on the top. Never again...
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: My precocious three year old... - 08/27/06 02:18 AM
I think putting audiophile fairy dust in the ports of your speakers makes them sound better.

Post it on AVS forums.
© Axiom Message Boards