Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Help with EP500 settings - 11/11/07 09:12 PM
My room is 20X24X7. I need some help setting up the necessary dials etc. on the back of my sub. My volume is at 10 o'clock and it still seems too low.

Thanks guys
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/11/07 10:14 PM
Trim on Flat
Crossover on Bypass (since your receiver is most likely handling this.

Volume (Gain) 10 o'clock seems to high, unless you have the sub level on the receiver way low. Axiom recommends midway of the 9 o'clock position to start, which if you look at the dial you will be around 7 o'clock or so.

My room is 30 x 31 x and my 600 volume is around 8 o'clock, and -2dB on the Denon.

How are you basing that you think it is to low? Have you tried movies with low LFE, or are you basing it on music.
Posted By: CV Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/11/07 10:20 PM
Also, have you experimented with sub placement? Did you do the sub crawl? That made a big difference for me.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/11/07 11:27 PM
I don't think Wheelz can do the sub crawl.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/11/07 11:31 PM
Good memory, Tex.
Posted By: CV Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/11/07 11:32 PM
Oh, man, now I feel like a total jerk. I forgot the origin of the screenname. Sorry!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/11/07 11:57 PM
Wheelz is cool. I wouldn't sweat it :).
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/11/07 11:59 PM
That is too funny guys. Unfortunately if I attempted to do the sub crawl, it would be an awful long one :-). I have only been using my sub for music so far because my home theater isn't hooked up yet because the renovations are not finished. On Tuesday I will definitely check out the settings that siquack suggested and get back to you guys. I do remember though before I had the renovations done and my room was smaller, I had the volume set between 10 and 11, but it did shake my entire house :-).
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/12/07 12:18 AM
Do you have a Denon that has been unplugged for awhile?

Check the level settings. I know those things default to -12 for the sub.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/12/07 12:28 AM
Yes it was unplugged for a while. Unfortunately I won't be able to check any of the Denon settings until my television is hooked up and I can view the on-screen display. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/12/07 12:42 AM
When my mom was hooking up my speakers (yes my mom :-)) she said that on the back of my subwoofer there was a small cable unplugged. I couldn't see it for myself because it was, prior to today, in a spare bedroom packed full with all my home theater stuff. Is that normal?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/12/07 04:51 AM
Wheelz, the setting for the sub level control for a given loudness level can vary, depending on the amount of voltage that the receiver is set to send to the sub, so the settings that some others use might not be relevant to you. The sub level should preferably be auto-calibrated by a receiver or with the use of a separate sound level meter. Attempting to do it by ear often results in setting the sub too high, because of a desire to "hear" what a bunch of money was used for. Ideally the sub shouldn't be heard as a separate source; the impression should be that it isn't on, but the other speakers are putting out more bass.

The EP500 doesn't come with any sort of cable, so there shouldn't be one hanging loose.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/12/07 04:59 AM
The only cable that may have been hanging loose is the power cord. Maybe that's why you couldn't hear it \:\) .
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/12/07 06:43 PM
You should also be able to set the levels as the OSD still shows up on the Denon's display as well as the TV only you just get to see what the cursor is pointing at and not the entire page.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Help with EP500 settings - 11/12/07 09:37 PM
Thanks guys. Made some adjustments as recommended and it sounds much better.
© Axiom Message Boards