Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Joe90 Adding an EP175 Sub to a 2-Channel System - 12/31/02 05:17 AM
Have never used a separate sub before, but am considering adding an EP175 sub to my 2-channel system. I am currently bi-amping a pair of M60's with a Cambridge Audio integrated (A500) and power (P500) amp.

I believe that I can run the sub out of one of my amp's pre-outs. Will this still allow the M-60's to run full-range when the sub is powered-up, or will the sub take over and limit the low-end response of the 60's? Are there options or better ways to hook up the sub, other than going through the pre-out on the amp? With a sub added to my system, will the low-end still sound balanced, as opposed to coming from a focal point based on the subs location (i.e., corner of the room)?

Appreciate any input/advice/comments.

Cheers.

Joe
Posted By: OGS20 Re: Adding an EP175 Sub to a 2-Channel System - 12/31/02 12:25 PM
I believe that I can run the sub out of one of my amp's pre-outs.

--

Yes, it's a active subwoofer, as in it has a built in amplifier. Line level input is fine.

--

Will this still allow the M-60's to run full-range when the sub is powered-up, or will the sub take over and limit the low-end response of the 60's?

--

If you hook up the sub from your pre, the towers will still be running full-range.

--

Are there options or better ways to hook up the sub, other than going through the pre-out on the amp?

--

Yes, you can connect the speaker outs into the sub (instead of line level from the pre), then connect your speakers to the sub pre -> sub -> speakers.

Using the sub's XO, you can adjust the frequencies that will be handled by the sub instead of the speakers.

Different, yes. Better, depends.

--

With a sub added to my system, will the low-end still sound balanced, as opposed to coming from a focal point based on the subs location (i.e., corner of the room)?

--

Not supposed to, as the sounds coming out of a sub is not SUPPOSED to be directional; but just as speakers can sound boxy, so can a sub.

As far as if the sub will overwhelm the speakers, well it depends on how you tune/tweak/place them
Posted By: Joe90 Re: Adding an EP175 Sub to a 2-Channel System - 12/31/02 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info OGS20...much appreciated!

Joe
© Axiom Message Boards