Axiom Home Page
Posted By: hybrid Bass and treble controls - 11/21/07 06:20 PM
I know there was a post before about the settings for bass and treble. I did a search but can't find it so, I'm going to ask a question please bear with me. I noticed with the M60's I have to turn my treble to 0 or else it just seems to bright. I even tried both bass and treble set to 0 on some music it's great. How does everyone that have the M60's have there tone controls set. I think I read that the receiver can have an effect on these settings. I have the Yamaha rx-v2095
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/21/07 06:24 PM
0 all the way.

Can't say I'm surprised by your statement. I'm of the (probably unpopular) opinion that if you have to mess with the treble and bass tone controls, you need different speakers.
Posted By: Murph Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/21/07 06:30 PM
I too agree. My tone controls have been at zero ever since I got my M60s. Just no need to try and make corrections.
Posted By: HAY Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/21/07 07:14 PM
Try using this link for Searching.. Axiom Search Function a forum member created it and it works great.

As for tone controls, I don't usually play with them but some recordings may benefit from it. Here's a link that came up before... Tone Contols
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/21/07 07:19 PM
My first speakers were Axiom AX2's back in 1986, then in 1994 I moved to KEF Q50's (only because they were shielded and my Axiom dealer went out of business), now use the M80's. My AX2's were first powered by a Technics integrated amplfier, I used tone and loudness controls all the time. Then I moved to a Rotel Integrated amp, and from then on I saw the light about high current amplifiers. Tone controls from then on have always set to 0. And with that Amplifier, I never missed the "Loudness button". Today I have gone the separates route, but still leave tone controls at 0.

If that's the way the artist had intended the music sound, who am I to think I can make it better.

Paul
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/21/07 07:23 PM
Interestingly, the booklet for Nirvana-In Utero had a little diagram for where you should set your tone controls. I tried it once; it sounded horrible. Of course, my speakers then were pretty horrible, so... I've always found it strange that someone thought it necessary, appropriate, or even accurate to put that in there.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/22/07 12:15 AM
Mine are flat with the 80s, VP150 and QS8.
Posted By: manarex Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/22/07 12:22 AM
I have an integrated tube amp that has a power button, and a multi-position switch for CD, SACD, etc. That's it.
Some audiophiles say thats all you need if you have a proper amp and speaker.
In the '70s, when Crown was a big and respected name, their Crown 150 amp had an On/Off button, but I don't recall which knobs/switches the preamp had.
Posted By: Wegiz Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/22/07 01:09 AM
I also keep the tone controls flat on my stereo. I did experiment with various settings right after I got the system, but kept going back to the default setting. The car stereo is another matter though.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/22/07 03:36 AM
Mine are flat. Unless a kid has messed with them, in which case I always find them both turned all the way down. Amazing how much life is sucked out of the sound with the bass and treble damped significantly.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Bass and treble controls - 11/22/07 03:59 AM
George, tone controls can to some extent help with poorly recorded material to make harsh or bass-shy sound better balanced. With well-recorded material being played, accurate speakers such as the Axioms don't require their use.
Posted By: Supermann Re: Bass and treble controls - 12/13/07 05:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
George, tone controls can to some extent help with poorly recorded material to make harsh or bass-shy sound better balanced. With well-recorded material being played, accurate speakers such as the Axioms don't require their use.

Believe me yamaha is known for being bright AVR.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Bass and treble controls - 12/13/07 05:52 PM
It may be known for it, but that doesn't make that knowledge accurate. Bose is known for making good speakers, too.
© Axiom Message Boards