Axiom Home Page
Posted By: frzoll Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/27/07 05:57 PM
Something funny is going on with my H/K avr 630 receiver.While watching TV the sound will get very loud to the point where the receiver will shut down.I'm with Directv and the volume thru the TV speakers is fine.Any ideas?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/27/07 06:08 PM
Time to take it in or buy a new AVR, you always wanted to go the seperates route, right?;\) Now you have an excuse.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/27/07 06:42 PM
Maybe mike has experienced this phenomenon.
Posted By: frzoll Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/27/07 11:28 PM
It looks like a new receiver is the answer.Now ,what to buy?I'm looking at:Sony-STR-DG 910,Onkyo-TX-SR605 or Yamaha-RX-V661.What your vote?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/27/07 11:45 PM
The Yamaha or Onkyo.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/27/07 11:48 PM
Seconded.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 12:14 AM
I'd move up to the Onkyo 705 to get the Audyssey MultiEQ XT.
Posted By: RickF Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 02:39 AM
Two years ago people would have been recommending the H/K receivers ... funny!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 02:50 AM
Competition is good. \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 03:50 AM
I've never heard of anything like this before. Sounds like Randy's ghosts have made it to your place.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 05:08 AM
Frank, if the volume is okay using the TV speakers with its internal amplifier, then the problem would indeed seem to be with the HK. Can't even guess what it might be or how much the repair would run, but if you want to instead replace it, the Onkyo 605 would be a fine choice. Probably the best deal right now would be at ShopOnkyo . If you register for "Club Onkyo" you get a $349 special price on their factory refurb plus a $10 credit for registering and free shipping, making it $339 delivered. If you'd go a bit higher(about $550), the 705, as was mentioned by Tom, has a more advanced version of Odyssey which also equalizes the sub. Right now Accessories4less , which is authorized to carry Onkyo refurbs, is out of stock, but you might check with them.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 08:58 AM
Sounds like you're experiencing some kind of feedback... where the audio output is being summed with an input and fed back into the receiver...

Likely causes... do you use a VCR as a "passthrough" from DirectTV at all?

Did this "just start happening" with no other changes made?

Oh, wait... this is a "make frzoll buy new equipment intervention"...

Bren R.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 02:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: frzoll
Something funny is going on with my H/K avr 630 receiver.While watching TV the sound will get very loud to the point where the receiver will shut down.I'm with Directv and the volume thru the TV speakers is fine.Any ideas?

Is it like the receiver volume is getting turned up by someone with the remote control, ie. the numbers on the volume display are increasing until the volume maxes out?

If so I recall an issue with the HK receivers that had something to do with fluorescent lights where it was somehow affecting the remotes and turning up the volume. I don't know if it was ever fixed but there was a firmware update for the 430 and 630 receivers. Try searching the AVS forum or go to the HK site and look for the product support pages.
Posted By: Murph Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 02:22 PM
Damn you Lorenzo and your new avatar!
it was positioned at the bottom of my screen and I saw the bug creeping up from the bottom of the status bar. For a few seconds I though someone had installed a joke program I saw a while back that makes bugs appear all over your screen.
Posted By: Lorenzo1000 Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 02:50 PM
Well at least you didn't try to kill the bug. \:D

Is it worse than Mark Johnson's old Dancing Elephant?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 03:08 PM
what speakers are you trying to drive? If you have the M80s, the Onkyo probably isn't the best choice.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 03:15 PM
--Post Deleted by kcarlile--
Posted By: michael_d Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 04:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal
Maybe mike has experienced this phenomenon.

Yes, with a 7300 and it about scared the crap out of me considering it was driving my M80's. The remote experienced some sor of demonic possession. I had to kill it by removing the the batteries and then reinstalling them. The demon left without coming back.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 05:09 PM
 Quote:
Is it worse than Mark Johnson's old Dancing Elephant?

No.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 05:46 PM
LOL.

My Dancing Elephant would've squashed that bug!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 08:28 PM
So the volume control actually goes up?

Bren R.
Posted By: frzoll Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 11:32 PM
Bren,
The volume reading on the front panel of the receiver will keep showing a higher reading until the unit shuts down.I even tried to control the volume with remote and that would have no effect.I would hit mute and it would stop.It would start without warning after the unit was on for about 2 hours.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 11:35 PM
That is utterly bizarre.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/28/07 11:51 PM
Who ya gunna call.....Ghostbusters.
Posted By: frzoll Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/29/07 12:25 AM
Well I'm done fooling with it.I'm leaning toward getting a Pioneer VSX 1017TXV.It's just below the Elite models,plus the price is all I can swing right now .I just bought a new Sony HDTV,so this receiver problem did'nt come at a good time.Thanks for the comments.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/29/07 01:06 AM
There are some good deals at ecost on upper to mid level Denons(refurbs), if you are interested.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/29/07 03:59 AM
Frank, try unplugging the HK for about a half hour and then replug. If that doesn't reset the volume control, call a priest.
Posted By: Murph Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/29/07 05:28 PM
I wonder if you should try putting some black tape over the IR receiver for the remote control for a while. If it doesn't happen with the tape on, you have some rogue infra red bouncing around the room.

Then you have to call Mulder and Scully to evict the aliens instead of Ghostbusters.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/29/07 07:21 PM
Oh... in that case, ignore what I said...

And quit sitting on the remote...

Follow the given suggestions... take the batteries out of the remote... if it still happens, cover the IR sensor on the receiver.

Bren R.
Posted By: frzoll Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/29/07 11:23 PM
Hi John,
You may have been right.I unpluged the receiver ,disconnected all the cables and started over.Reconnected everthing and all seems to be ok.I did change the optical cable from the dish receiver.I think that may have been the problem.Darn,I was all set to get a new receiver.One other question I have.Since I got the HDTV the sound goes down when I switch from SD to HD,is this normal?
Posted By: RickF Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/30/07 12:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: frzoll
Since I got the HDTV the sound goes down when I switch from SD to HD,is this normal?

I believe that is pretty normal, whenever I'm switching back and forth from HD to SD I always forget to adjust the volume beforehand and end up getting blasted by the high volume on the SD channels.

Glad your problem seems to be taken care of, I've had nothing but great luck with our 635.
Posted By: CV Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/30/07 04:07 AM
Maybe they're respecting dynamic range so far in HD programming?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/30/07 05:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Maybe they're respecting dynamic range so far in HD programming?
Don't make me get my "compression" stick.

Bren R.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 11/30/07 12:51 PM
C'mon Bren.... you KNOW you want to! \:\)
Posted By: Supermann Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 05:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal
what speakers are you trying to drive? If you have the M80s, the Onkyo probably isn't the best choice.

Been long time reader and first time post. I am confuse. My speakers set up 7.2: M80, QS8, VP150 and M22 (Surround back. I just pick up the Onkyo 805 last Friday in California Fry's for $699. The price was so good can not passed up on it. I like features and quality build on this receiver. It's amazing AVR, very powerful, tight bass and very clean sound. Tank solid. I'm confuse/affraid it will damage my 805. I asked the Onkyo tech and they don't recommend to have it use with the 4ohm speakers. Right now I have impedence setted at 6 ohm. The music movies play very nice and clean. I like the THX Ultra 2 in the 805. Should I keep it or returnand get something like everyone in here recommend. DENON, Marantz, Harmon (I try 347 and like it, but lots of problem. Video sparkle limitation the hdmi, poor quality/build. My budget is $1000.00. I have about 20 days left for return policy. Any suggestion,opinion. Much appreciated.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 05:48 PM
You will not damage your 805, and I recommend not setting the impedance to 6 ohm. That will only limit the current available, which is more likely to damage things.

If you push it too hard with the M80s (and I'm guessing that would be pretty hard with an 805), it will simply shut down. You'll know if you do it... and you most likely will not damage anything.
Posted By: CV Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 05:56 PM
I thought the 805 had been rated for 4 ohms. I think you'll be fine, as the M80s are supposedly considered a light 4 ohm load, and the new Onkyos supposedly have better amplifiers than in the past. I think the only reason I'd return the 805 is to go to the Denon 3808, which is a little above your $1000 budget.
Posted By: Supermann Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 05:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

At 4 ohm, you saying it's going to perform better, NO CLIPPING. Will I loose sound quality? Matt from So Cal
Posted By: Wid Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 05:59 PM

Leave it set to 8 Ohm.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 06:02 PM
Like Rick said, leave it on 8 ohm.
Posted By: Supermann Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 06:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
I thought the 805 had been rated for 4 ohms. I think you'll be fine, as the M80s are supposedly considered a light 4 ohm load, and the new Onkyos supposedly have better amplifiers than in the past. I think the only reason I'd return the 805 is to go to the Denon 3808, which is a little above your $1000 budget.

I tempting to try Denon. Local store Best buy carry 2308 for $900. Let us know about the sound quality/bass performance. I like Harman sound excellent when I paired with my Axiom speakers. It's something in those Harman sound. Wish Harman can build their products close to Onkyo and Denon.
Posted By: Supermann Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 06:06 PM
There's only 4 and 6 ohms setting in 805? Default is 6. I should leave it 6?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 06:08 PM
Leave it on default, I guess. I have no experience with that receiver, but I am surprised that it is built like that.
Posted By: Wid Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 06:12 PM

The 805 manual says to leave it on 6 ohm for speakers from 6 to 16 ohm. Leave it on 6.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 06:13 PM
Shows what I know.
Posted By: Wid Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 06:14 PM

I would have figured as you did, 8 ohm being default.
Posted By: Supermann Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 07:06 PM
Thank you all. I'll leave it at default.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Problem with my H/K receiver - 12/13/07 09:11 PM
Just try running it as loudly as you can for a while to see if it shuts down, if it doesn't, then there is no concern, if it does then I would take it back.
© Axiom Message Boards