Axiom Home Page
Posted By: us3webbs EP-500 - TV Problem - 01/10/08 10:08 PM
Just set up my new 80-500 system and its working nicely. Except- when the sub is working hard I get artifacts on the TV screen (wavey, worm-looking squiggly lines). Ideas as to the problem and/or solution?

The Sub sits right next to the TV.

TV- 5 year old 42" HD Rear Projection Mitsubishi

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: EP-500 - TV Problem - 01/10/08 10:25 PM
I would suggest moving the sub away from the TV if at all possible.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP-500 - TV Problem - 01/10/08 11:34 PM
The sub is likely causing vibrations in the cabinet that are throwing off the alignment of the picture components. The only solution is either to turn down the volume or to increase the distance between the TV and the sub.
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: EP-500 - TV Problem - 01/11/08 12:46 AM
I have the same problem with my TV upstairs when viewing over the air analog signals amd my EP500s are working in my HT in the basement. Mine is not a vibration issue since the TV is pretty far away from the subs and the subs are not working that hard. I have not tried to see if that same TV has interference if I'm watching a movie on it or if the interference is only when viewing an OTA analog TV signal. The subs do not seem to affect my HT digital tuner that's connected to the projector when I'm watching digital TV in my HT so I haven't really taken the time to research further. The interference is worse on the stations that have the weakest signal.
Posted By: us3webbs Re: EP-500 - TV Problem - 01/11/08 02:26 AM
I hadn't thought about the alignment problem. I figured it was some electrical interference issue. Good thinking.
Best spot for the sub is next to the TV, but I'll try to find another spot.
Thanks for the brain power.
ND- interesting problem. Let me know what you come up with? I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to get the ground isolator, as I get a hum from my sub (that just started when Verizon Fiber Optic TV was installed). I removed the ground chassis screw which got rid of most of it, but its still there. It really goes nuts when I unscrew the cable from the wall receptical.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: EP-500 - TV Problem - 01/11/08 04:48 AM
web, I had a similar problem and the ground isolator solved my issue 100%. I even got my cable company to reimburse me the $48 (Although it took some serious convincing)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: EP-500 - TV Problem - 01/11/08 04:49 AM
double post
Posted By: Hutzal Re: EP-500 - TV Problem - 01/14/08 05:48 PM
I had this problem, I think I narrowed it down to the sub being on the same breaker as the TV. If you have a separate outlet that is on a different breaker try that, it may be the fix.
Posted By: Murph Re: EP-500 - TV Problem - 01/14/08 05:54 PM
This is a powerful sub that is not magnetically shielded, if I recall correctly. Would this not be a possibility? I had to move mine away from my CRT rear projection because I could see the picture kind of moving/distorting during heavy beats and effects.

It cured it when I moved it over into the corner but left it plugged into the same outlet. I still couldn't win. I then thought my IR Blaster was broken for my remote as button presses were not working. When I went to check the blaster, the red signal light was flashing like crazy and got brighter with sub beats. Looked cool but not so functional. I had to move it two shelves up on my equipment rack.

Of course, it could probably be all or any of these things perhaps.
© Axiom Message Boards