Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Blue Grass Man iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 03:45 PM
I have ordered a pair of M-80's. When received, should they be toed in? The person that I talked to at Axiom stated that Axiom speakers did not need toeing in.
Some say toe in others say not. What is the science of it?
Thank you for the help.
Posted By: RickF Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 03:50 PM
Experiment and *hear* what sounds best for your particular room environment.
Posted By: Wid Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 04:00 PM
Speaker set up for stereo
Posted By: Ken.C Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 04:58 PM
Yeah, you're going to have to try it out for yourself. I've got M80s, and I'm still not sure whether to toe them in or not.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 07:41 PM
Gives you a chance at a turn around test of marital commitment:

You sit in the barkolounger set in the sweet spot ... you'll need a nice glass of beer and suggest gently to your spouse, "honey, can you just aim the one on the left a little toward me? ... a little more ... OK, back a bit ..."

See how it works out and let us know.
Posted By: RickF Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 07:44 PM
 Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Gives you a chance at a turn around test of marital commitment:

You sit in the barkolounger set in the sweet spot ... you'll need a nice glass of beer and suggest gently to your spouse, "honey, can you just aim the one on the left a little toward me? ... a little more ... OK, back a bit ..."

See how it works out and let us know.

2x ... that's why you need those two girls that come with the 108" LCD TV up there in the HT forum. No need to bother the spouse with this piddly stuff. \:\)
Posted By: Wid Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 07:44 PM

That's pretty close to what I did this morning. The wife doesn't mind at all.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 07:53 PM
Blue, every room is different, you will have to experiment. Try straight on, then try slightly toed in, then try toeing them in so they are aiming about a foot behind your head. Of course, I'm assuming your sitting dead center in the sweet spot. Either way, it will take weeks if not months, and you will change your arangement many times until you find the right placement for your room.
Posted By: jakewash Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 08:06 PM
Should we refer him to Mojo's huge toe in, then his backtracking when he didn't have them toed in?

I have my M80's straight out. I am only 7ft awat from them and have great soundstage and imaging.
Posted By: Wid Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 08:08 PM
 Quote:
Should we refer him to Mojo's huge toe in, then his backtracking when he didn't have them toed in?

I didn't say anything \:D
Posted By: RickF Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 08:11 PM
I'm thinking (but I ain't researching again) Rives Audio gives a general initial toe-in aiming point of five feet centered in back of the sweet-spot listening position. Seems like that's how I basically set mine up and didn't move them much from that position. It's been awhile though.

I betcha can read a thousand different ways of setting these speakers up from a thousand different and knowledgeable (expert?) sources and you'll find a thousand different answers.

Whenever it comes to main speaker placement, this stuff is so subjective and there has to be a million different room setups that I'd darn near throw out all of the thousand expert opinions and tune the system like I want to hear it, in MY environment. I typically use their advice as a starting point, nothing else ... most of the time. ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 08:11 PM
I just noticed BG kind of double posted and Mojo already spilled the beans in the other thread.
Posted By: Wid Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 08:13 PM
 Quote:
tune the system like I want to hear it, in MY environment.

Which is LOUD, very LOUD \:D
Posted By: RickF Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 08:15 PM
Jason, I read that and thought Mojo made a left turn instead of a right turn at the intersection. ;\)
Posted By: RickF Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/13/08 08:16 PM
WHAT DID YOU SAY RICK??

\:D
Posted By: JohnK Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/14/08 03:27 AM
Carl, although good speakers should have wide and smooth horizontal dispersion so that the overall power response of the speakers in the room is as uniform as possible, the best sound is generally on axis. So, the general rule is to toe-in the speakers enough that the tweeters point at your ears.
Posted By: Blue Grass Man Re: iSpeaker toe-in? - 01/14/08 01:04 PM
Got it, thanks.
© Axiom Message Boards