Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Machu10 Need some advice on amps with m80 - 01/19/03 08:26 AM
Hello everybody,
I am new here and was wondering if someone could help me with some advice on amps I should use with m80's,
I have a pair of mcintosh mc-2205's 200wpc amps that I was thinking of bridging mono to each speaker, or would it be best to bi-amp the m-80's with these amps?
Or I can bi-amp with a 2205 for the low's and a mcintosh mc502 50wpc for the highs,
And I also have a mcintosh mc7300 300wpc that I can use somewhere in this mix (can you tell I love mac? lol), any ideas?
Thanks

Tony
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Need some advice on amps with m80 - 01/19/03 08:29 AM
Hi Mac
The M80s are very efficient. I think you'll get your best results from a single Mac amp driving a pair of M80s. JMO.
Posted By: OGS20 Re: Need some advice on amps with m80 - 01/19/03 05:43 PM
Yeah, what 2x6spds said. Use the big amp to power both speakers. The other 2, I'll do you a favour and take them off your hands

Seriously ... I'm not to familiar with Mac amps and their sonic characteristics. What I used to do when I had 2 amps (Bryston 3B and NAD C370, both 120wpc), I used the one with better imaging to drive the highs (Bryston), and the one with more 'slam' to drive the lows (NAD). The thing I dislike about bi-amping with dissimilar amps is, the images tend to 'shift'. For example, the location of a piano (off centre) moves depending on which amp is driving it!!

Try it for yourself and tell us which setup works best. I don't think anybody here can comment for sure until s/he have heard the results.

Good luck!
© Axiom Message Boards